Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband wants to get a pot bellied pig. We have seen a few adds in our area (Mich) for piglets whose parents are 45l bs and 65 lbs. I have researched a little. I read that they have to be kept at 70 degrees. Is this true? They can't live outside? Heck, they couldn't even live in our house right now. It's so hot. Thanks for any input.

Armeda

·
Registered
193 Posts
We have potbellies (3, 2 sows one boar). THey are very very easy to keep. Make sure they have water and lotsa mud for them. We keep ours outside and never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
You might ask the people on the pig forum, GeorgeK (I think it's him) raises them for meat and seems to really know his stuff. He has a great website too, but darned if I can remember it now...

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
George's website is Windridge Farm he raises his pbp in a wild flock pasture system for meat, not pets. Whether one raises for meat or pets the basic care is the same and George has some very good information regarding their keeping.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
hmmm... i've posted, edited, and still didn't say : please check your local regulations. they are regarded as livestock and not pets in a majority of communities across the U.S. Potbelly Pigs are large pigs not micro pigs. Their adult sizes are smaller than domestics but they can still achieve weights of over 150 pounds. I've read contradictory information advising that the weights you mention are not standard weights and that some of the smaller pig lines might suffer from genetic abnormalities caused by the desire to push down the size of an adult pbp.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your replys. I will check out George's website. We live on a farm so livestock isn't an issue. I was concerned about the genetic abnormalities. I posted this at the pig forum too and you have responded more :)

Thanks,

Armeda

·
Registered
584 Posts
Please remember that pigs root!!!!!!!!!! Outside no big deal, inside is another story. The boarding kennel I worked at in San Diego regularly had no shows when it came time to pick up beloved pet pot bellies.
They are smart and fun pets, but still a pig.
My 350+ lb. feral barrow started out in the house, had to join the other livestock outside when he started "hogging" the couch :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think we may wait on getting one. I would have to research well and make sure they were healthy and would live long lives. We just bought a new horse and pygmy goat buck and tons of poultry. All pets. We have our hands full!

Thanks for your help!

Armeda

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
My potbelly is about 150#. He lives outside, stays in the barn in the evening. He pastures with my pygmy goats and is very loving. In the winter we do have an insulated barn but not heated. He gets more straw to bed in and makes himself a bed and tunnels in when it is cold. I put him out all day anytime its 35 or warmer. He has never been sick. He is a little over 2 years old.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
armeda said:
My husband wants to get a pot bellied pig. We have seen a few adds in our area (Mich) for piglets whose parents are 45l bs and 65 lbs.
Armeda

Those are called tea cups. Not healthy for them. They have been bred down too much and the organs still grow to normal size. They don't normally make it past 3 -5 years. I have read and been told to stay clear of those small PBP's.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the info. We were thinking about getting those little guys until I read these posts. They were only $50 but I have seen other adds for like $500. Big difference! So I am thinking that they can probably live outside here in Mich. Are regular pigs as sensitive to cold as these guys?

Thanks,

Armeda

·
(formerly Laura Jensen)
2,479 Posts
I have a breeding pair, both about three years old. I don't think either one tops 100 pounds. That's the size potbellies are supposed to be. The giant ones are either grossly overweight (very common) or their ancestors were crossed with standard pigs, or both. My potbellies are outside year round. I give them straw to burrow into in the winter. Of course, it doesn't get very cold here. Mid-teens for a couple weeks at a time is the worst of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts