Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Bunny Poo Monger
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone gave me a 22" cast iron skillet that has no lid. It has the rounded lip to pour liquids from and has a tab opposite the handle for ease of handling. Do any of you have a skillet like this and if so, how do you use it? On top of the stove, in the oven, with or without aluminum foil, on the grill or on an open fire?

If I can't figure out how to use it for one person, without having to freeze the cooked food, it's going to be sold. I'd rather can food than freeze it.

Cooking in it for large groups is definitely out of the question. Grilling food would be much easier. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
If you haven't already been deluged with offers, I'm interested. Let me know how much you want for it.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
I have one that is, I think 15", and I can only imagine what yours looks like! It was perfect for our family of 9 to do things like stir fry. The problem was that it broke my cheap stove element and was too small to fit over two elements but too big for the one element. I have an outdoor single propane burner (which I bought to use to scald our butcher chickens for plucking) and think it would be perfect for that outside if I ever felt the need to use it. Our family has shrunk and we are living in a rental so I don't want to break their stove so it is in storage. I guess I don't have much help but that must be one big skillet!

·
This is my life
3,869 Posts
me too, It would do great for frying potatoes for a large group or a whole fried chicken at one time.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Oh please! LOL, I have been drooling over the really big ones at a local store. You can bake in it, do anything at all.....I would love to have one that big. I have the basic skillet which I use a couple times a week for this and that. It's well seasoned and while it may be tough to move around with just one hand....some things are just better in cast iron.

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
That would make one big deep-dish pizza ;)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Sounds like a good prospect for Spanish Piaya although you failed to mention the depth. I know a curry dish in India that requires a pretty good sized pan with even heat like Piaya. Both add rice with everything else to complete the dish. Good luck with the sale...Glen

·
Registered
311 Posts
They're good for pan frying oversized trout over a bed of coals, or a big batch of corn bread. Take a look at the underside & see if its a "Griswold". If it is, its worth some money.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I have one of the same size with the lid very heavy it is a Griswold,belonged to my grandma. I Would not ever sell.
She always used it for frying things in as it is very deep. I also have her bean pot/w lid,2 other frying pans and 3 pans/wlids for stewing.
I know that many a catfish and chicken dinner were cooked in them over the years.
When I went down for my moms death I found them in a box with $5.00 on it, I thank God that no one had taken my sister up on that offer.

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
It might be a made by a brand called Lodge. They're still in business and are known for making large cast iron for use in restaurants, etc. Although, a skillet this large would probably weigh somewhere close to 30 lbs and might be a bit much for just one person to handle.

I don't think you'd have any problem selling it though, as the local **** hunters club would love an item like this. The biggest cast iron skillet I've seen is 17".

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Wow, Fla gal! What a neat pan. The weight is going to be something when it has food in it, tho. I have a double decker metal to metal lid pressure canner that is so heavy when filled with jars I cannot lift it, and I'm afraid to use it on my inside range, as I'm sure it would bend the top! I tried it outside once, to see if it would hold pressure, as the bottom has a slight bulge, but it worked fine. Just very cumbersome and heavy. Bet you'll have no shortage of interested buyers! Jan in Co

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Mine is 18" I think. It's great for frying chicken, bacon, chicken fried steak, and deep frying anything. It also makes a great deep dish pizza. I'd like a smaller version, but am content with this one. But for one person, I can see your point. Sell it and get a smaller one.

·
God Smacked Jesus Freak
7,456 Posts
I would love to have a pan like that, you can bake whatever you'd put in a 9x13 pan, it would make awesome coffee cake, crisps, even a giant pie. Roast hunks of meat, pizza...Heat the pan up first in the oven, then pour the batter in. Use it as a griddle, or fry stuff in it like folks said. I would LOVE to have a pan like that. I wouldn't care if it weighed a ton, all the better to buff me up! I'm always using my cast iron fry pans to bake stuff, like pot pies, casseroles, quiche, roast veggies.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts