What can yall tell me about Boxers?

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by ajharris, Sep 28, 2006.

1. ajharris

ajharris Amanda

I may be getting a male boxer puppy in the near future. What can yall tell me about them? Pros and Cons. Are they good with children and other animals? What are their dispositions like? Any help will be appreciated.

2. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Boxers are nice. Be careful who you buy your puppy from. Be familiar with what medical problems they have, and what problems can be tested for. You'll want both parents tested for whatever various problems boxers can have.

3. HeatherDriskill

HeatherDriskill Well-Known Member

Our neighbor has two boxers. They are very sweet and gentle. They do jump up on people when they get excited, but that's just because she hasn't trained them not to. I love her dogs. They are good with her grandkids and other pets. I don't know a lot about boxers, but my neighbor has nice ones!

4. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

When they are young they have LOTS of energy. The ones I know are very goofy. Unfortunately for them though, they are known as "tumor factories" to veterinarians. They don't have that great of a life expectancy for a dog their size. I'd say 8-10 years on average while other dogs their size are more in the 10-12 years range.

5. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

Had several Boxers over the years and they are just great dogs.....especially with kids! Keep yours on a strict diet tho to keep the weight down! Our last Boxer we had for 14 years and it broke our hearts to lose her.

6. ajharris

ajharris Amanda

What kind of diet do they need?

7. dagwood

We kept ours on a strict 1 meal per day of Eukenuba dried dog food. It's a little pricey but worth it as far as maintaining the dog. Boxers are prone to digestive problems and diarreha if you start slopping em with table scraps and such......

8. ajharris

ajharris Amanda

9. SDjulieinSC

SDjulieinSC Well-Known Member

My two boxers were the best!!! When I decide I've cried enough over them I will be getting another one for sure.
    I do not have children but the majority of my friends do. My dogs LOVED kids. Chilli and Charro were big goofs in real life but were very protective of any children. They were also therapy dogs who's favorite visit in all of the world was the childrens shelter. Also high on their list was the School for the Deaf and Blind. I was always amazed at how gentle the dogs were with the students there. There were several in wheelchairs or that walked with crutches that would take the leash and go off down the hall with the dogs marching happily beside them. The dogs seemed to know to be extra gentle and calm (as calm as a boxer gets) when working there.
    Please keep in mind that if mine did not get in a good run several days a week all of their training went out the door and they were like a pack of wild monkeys in my living room! They are always looking for something to get into and I was often surprised by what it was.
    I tried very hard to not allow them to do anything as pups that I would not want them to do as big dogs, like jumping up on people and acting wild when people came to visit. I also worked very hard at training obedience and both had their CGC but they were by no means perfect. I often thought that if they had a middle finger they would have thrown me the bird when I tried to recall them off leash. Brats.
    I never really had any food trouble, I did watch the amt. of protien in the food as too much gave them gas. I also kept them on a very consistant diet, no changing brands, and fed them morning and evening. I was also carefull not to exercise them 1 hour before feeding or 2 hours after, and had their food and water bowls elevated in an effort to avoid bloat.
    As far as health goes, yes there are some things to watch for. "Buy a boxer, get a free tumor" is, I'm sorry to say, all too often the truth. If you keep a close eye on your dogs you will notice lumps and bumps as soon as they crop up and they can be removed easily when small. I was lucky that all of the ones on my girls were easy to handle. I never had the lab work done to check for cancer as I didn't see the point.
    Chilli did have some thyroid issues that were easily controlled with meds.
    As far as I know mine were free of heart defects but never had them tested.
    I am pretty sure I know the breeder I will be getting my next dog from. I have looked at lots of pups & breeders and had tons of offers from people who have a friend with a litter. I think I would rather buy from a breeder who does the testing and has been working on their line for many generations, I feel that I will get a better idea of what I'll end up with. I will pay a good bit more at first but feel that in the long run I stand a better chance of having a healthy , long lived companion which is what we all want no matter what the breed, right?
    Good luck on your quest. I love boxers and think they are a great breed. I can't see how you can go wrong with a few kids, a little land, a lot of patience, a good sense of humor and a boxer........
    Let me know if I can help you find a breeder and be sure to post pictures of whatever breed pup you decide to get.

10. dagwood

LOL! I can vouch for that along with everything else SDjulieinSC put in her post. Despite their age Boxers remain playful and have a great penchant for raising hell in the house! You haven't lived until you come home to see that your Boxer has taken the toilet paper out of the bathroom and TP'd the entire Living Room.......LOL!

11. SDjulieinSC

SDjulieinSC Well-Known Member

A few months before mine were killed they had an egg fight in the living room!
    Somehow they got a dozen eggs in the carton off of the stove, carried it into the living room and went to town. What a mess!!! They had egg everywhere, including all over them. I was laughing so hard it was hard to be mad.........
    You are right about the not slowing down thing. Chilli was just shy of 10 and Charro a few months from 9 and my frisbee/tennis ball arm often gave out before they did.
    Sure do miss those big goons.......... :Bawling:

12. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

IM sorry, dont know if anyone mentioned it but 1 meal a day is not wise. They are a barrel chested breed and prone to bloat. Two small meals a day is much smarter. (Bloat is when they eat a large meal, become active, which they are, and there stomach has so much room, because of the shape of their body, that it actually turns on itself, pinching off both ends. This causes gastric gasses to build, if not treated with surgery, will put pressure on aorta, and dog will die......unfortunately I learned the hard way, but emergency surgery saved the day =)

13. CountryBeth

CountryBeth Well-Known Member

My dh's uncle had a couple. They were absolutely terrific with children, even ones they didn't know. Mine were little when they had them and the dogs were very gentle to them even as toddling little ones.

14. Highland

Highland Well-Known Member

I don't knpow about any others but the one I have sure sounds "normal" for a boxer! LOL
    At times she is a cross between a gator and the Taz! 5 minutes later she is the biggest sweetest lovingist baby you ever saw! She is a spoiled only "child".

And yep-- this one Loves kids.She loves everybody really, If an axe murderer came calling she would think he was her friend.
    The middle finger thing-- yep know that feeling!!!LOL But this one can be the most tender hearted pooch ever.If I fuss at her for doing something bad she can make sad eyes that would melt the Grinches heart.
    I let her have food and water free choice. It seems to have helped with the "gas" problem.Now then this thing Snores like a frieght train!
    She can be a nut and act like a major clown.One thing she does is she allways has to be touching me.Like right now her head is on my foot,its like she is afriad I am going to get away.
    Best thing is-- shes my friend-- I love her.

15. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Well-Known Member

16. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

We are a boxer family. The only reason we have a Beagle right now is that we need a good hunting dog. We have had 2 boxers; MIL and FIL have 2 boxers(plus one who died of cancer), SIL and BIL have 3 boxers. If socialized and trained properly they will be your best friend for life. I had a all white one who would find something he was allergic to every summer in the yard, and we had to give him benedryl. The family dogs are all great with kids, especially my Autistic son who needs to be reminded to be gentle. They were 90 lb lap dogs. However, everyone of them at one time or another was nicknamed "blockhead" for good reason. The one male that died, got out of the house and went after the paper boy. He caught the boy, knocked him down, stood on top of him and licked him up and down. (One of the grandkids was about the same size and Rocky just wanted to play.) That poor boy nearly wet his pants and refused to deliver the paper ever again.

17. JasoninMN

JasoninMN Well-Known Member Supporter

All I am going to say if you are going to get a boxer you better have a good sense of humor and patience. I love the breed.

18. gwithrow

gwithrow Well-Known Member

We have Alice...actually I think she is just all tongue..she loves to run and lick...and eats anything she can get hold of...but this is worse when she has not had a good run...I don't know if I will have another boxer when her time is up, but we are enjoying it now..she loves the cats, and stands while they lick her??? and the only animal that is not thrilled with her is Bob, the brown dog...and he is just needy and jealous...anyone thinking of getting a boxer should heed all the advice and be certain you have time to invest in the training..and patience to deal with what is 'toddler mentality.'..for life...

19. yarrow

yarrow Ages Ago Acres Nubians Supporter

this is silly lily, she is a 2 1/2 year old goofy ball of fun. she is our first boxer, but not our first *push face* we have always had at least one boston terrier in the family. Lily LOVES everyone, the cats, the baby goats, the chickens (okay, so she is deathly afraid of Noman the tom turkey LOL) but gets along so well with everyone else.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

susie

20. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

We got our boxer as a puppy when I was three. Nicky never, ever growled, snarled or showed any form of aggressive whatsoever to anything. She was very tolerant, very playful and very loving. My rabbits could steal her food. She loved the cats. She loved children. She was an awesome dog and I still miss her. She lived 9 years; she died of pancreatic cancer.