Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are quickly working through the 500+ yards of fabric that I bought out of an estate recently.

The beauty of this fabric lot is that the former owner carefully folded the fabric and stored it properly.

I am almost out of the cardboard bolts. I'd love to put all of the fabric on bolts, if I could. The bolts display so much better than folded fabric. We can prevent theft and tag switching much better when the fabric is bolted.

Aside from using corrugated cardboard strips...do you have any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
512 Posts
I keep most of my fabric stash on the acid-free inserts that are sold to comic book collectors. Nice size and affordable.

Reactions: clovis

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
When you ship out the fabric remove the bolt. Just slip it out and fold the fabric in half. This way, you can ship it in poly envelopes.

Reactions: Chixarecute

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you ship out the fabric remove the bolt. Just slip it out and fold the fabric in half. This way, you can ship it in poly envelopes.
Every last inch of this fabric is going to an indoor flea market, where it has been selling well.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Cut the bolt core in half, fold the fabric in half and voila`, looks like twice as much, and you get two bolts to fold on. You could still remove the bolt at sale for re-use. Many of the quilt shops, when selling fat quarters, will either roll and wrap with a paper...cigar band...of sorts, or fold into a say 4x6 square and wrap with a cigar band. For yardage, you could fold to uniform size and pin/tag the upper right corner?

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I really wish I could visit your FM booth! :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
We are quickly working through the 500+ yards of fabric that I bought out of an estate recently.

The beauty of this fabric lot is that the former owner carefully folded the fabric and stored it properly.

I am almost out of the cardboard bolts. I'd love to put all of the fabric on bolts, if I could. The bolts display so much better than folded fabric. We can prevent theft and tag switching much better when the fabric is bolted.

Aside from using corrugated cardboard strips...do you have any ideas or suggestions?
clovis,

I'm just getting started in this forum, so please be patient with me.
Try doing like my wife and I do at Wal-Mart, JoAnns, or other fabric stores. We just ask of they have any extra cardboard bolts that we could buy. They usually say that we can have them. Especially if we have purchased even a little bit of fabric. Doesn't work ALL the time, but quite often we get at least a couple of them.

I'd post pictures of the quilts we have made, but I haven't gotten the hang of this posting stuff yet.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts