What can I start in the depths of summer?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by snoozy, Jul 28, 2004.

1. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

I've got a few spots in my garden right now I'd like to fill up with something. Here in the Pac NW, we know how to grow cool weather stuff, but hot weather stuff is hard to figure out -- the "hot season" doesn't last long either. So what likes hot weather for germination, and then either a short hot season or a longer cooler growing season? Anything?

2. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

What are you growing now? Squash, beans and cukes, if watered, would sprout and grow pretty quickly. But are you SBCed out?

katy

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

According to 'Solar Gardening', Beets, carrots, chinese mustard, chinese turnip, kohlrabi, red radishes, scallion and spinach, upland cress, short season broccoli, early cabbages, escarole, endive, fava bean, storage potatoes, rutabega. All these can be planted mid season.

4. scarface

scarface Member

I'm not in your area but maybe green manure crops would work for you. I use Buckwheat, White Clover and Rye in Minnesota. All three seem to germinate in the heat and still grow in the cooler temps, so that at least the weeds have some competition and I have something to work into the soil.

5. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

How about some brussel sprouts :) They like cool weather to mature in, but germinate better now.

6. tara313134

tara313134 Member

Yes, that is what I am doing right now, starting flats for fall through winter harvesting. Collards, kale, and broccoli are much tougher plants for right now to start and then around September, I will start more of the different mustards and cabbages.