What can I plant now in Minnesota?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by sassy_mare, Jul 28, 2006.

1. sassy_mare

sassy_mare Well-Known Member

Well, my swiss chard and spinach never came up. I am wondering what I can plant now in northern Minnesota? Also - can I keep planting lettuce throughout the summer?

Thanks all!
    Sheri

2. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

When's your average first frost date?

You can probably plant spinach now and also kale and lettuce.

Probably carrots, broccoli, and cabbage too.

It mostly depends on whether they have time to mature before they freeze. Some things, like kale (and broccoli?) can take a light frost without any problem.

3. Crystal H

Crystal H Well-Known Member

Hi Sheri.
    I don't live in Minnesota but i was having a hard time to get some of my plants to germinate. After planting and gently watering, I covered them with fabric weed block loosely so they were just floating over the soil. This helped the soil stay moist and I would water every few days. Voila! little seedlings! I finally have lettuce and onions and other little plants. I hope it helps.
    Crystal

4. annethcz

annethcz Well-Known Member

I'm on the other end of the state. I think right now it's still a little too hot to start fall crops. But in early August I'm planning to start a new crop of spinach, lettuce, kale, broccoli and peas.

5. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm in western Wisconsin, high 90s today, and hotter for the weekend. We are planting lettuce, spinach, fall cabbage, brocolli, cauliflower, etc. We plant most things inside and transplant, except for some lettuce, carrots, spinach. We plant in wide rows, and cover the planted seedbed with old sheets and water well, often enough to keep the soil damp under the sheet. We usually manage to overwinter tiny spinach and lettuce plants so we have them to eat soon after the snow melts in the spring. The things we plant now usually will produce before frost, and if they don't, what's the cost of a few seeds??

6. sassy_mare

sassy_mare Well-Known Member

Wow! Thanks all...

WisJim - I am very envious! I am only an hour south of the border - I don't think I could pull that one off...

Sheri

7. Trisha-MN

Trisha-MN www.BilriteFarms.com

Hi Sheri:
    Well... due to a very crazy and busy spring we only put in our garden a few weeks ago here and we're in NW Minnesota. I'm hoping for a 60 day season.

What I'd would consider planting at this late of a date would be turnips, kohlrabi, beets, kale and a 2nd planting of chard if you feel like it. Maybe some short season carrots just depending on your frosts/freeze dates.

About mid August you could do another crop of radishes and if you want to mess with covering plants or row covers spinach/lettuce etc - I'm wondering if up in our area a person might be able to keep these going well into fall with a bit of frost protection but I've never tried.

I've tried succession plantings of lettuce without much luck. I was wondering if it is as much lenght of daylight as temperature sometimes (perhaps someone can chime in on this one for me).

Good luck!