What can I grow upright with supports?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by happy@home, Apr 19, 2005.

1. happy@home

happy@home Well-Known Member

I'm doing pole beans and cucumbers upright this year. What else can I grow that way? Will small pie pumpkins work or are they too heavy? How about winter squash, I've never grown them before do they grow like pumpkins do?

2. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

I grew cantalopes on a trellis, but they never amounted to anything (not a long enough season here). I have seen somewhere that when growing something heavy like cantalopes that the fruit needs extra support. They used old pantyhose to help hold them up on the trellis. You could also do gourds.

3. kathrynlmv

kathrynlmv Well-Known Member

Hey...Happy@home! Tomatos do best (I think) when grown upright, and I found any fencing to work well for them. If you did pumpkins, I think you'd have to do the very tiny kind....some special variety...peas need support....but it's too late for peas this year unless you are very far north....lots of flowers need support, as well, like glads, sweet peas, clematis, morning glories and other vines. Winter squash need quite a bit of space on the ground, and the fruits tend to be awfully heavy for an upright support. kathrynlmv

4. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Build a frame the size of the bed in width and 3-4' long. Cover with fencing. Lay one end along the edge of your planting bed and in accordance with sun direction. Put the other end up on legs so that the structure forms a triangle to the ground. Plant cukes or squash in front of the frame, and plant lettuces under the frame. The cukes will shade the lettuce and is supposed to work rather well. Use warm weather lettuces.