What can I expect in Athens, Ga

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by shootingstar, May 31, 2004.

1. shootingstar

shootingstar Active Member

My husband is being transferred to Athens, Ga. I hate the thought of selling our acreage here in Michigan and I am afraid I will not find one in Athens that will be suitable for us for what we will be able to afford. Most of the ads I see don't mention how much land homes include. Are acreages hard to find there? If you leave in or near Athens, do you like it? What can I expect and what should I watch out for?

I would love to hear from anyone down there who has any advice, or anyone who has passed through there and has any comments. Thanks,

2. PitterPat

PitterPat Member

I'm from Georgia, currently live near Atlanta.
    You should be able to find some acreage in that area, guess it depends on how much you want.

Athens is a college town. Not too far from Atlanta. If you head toward Atlanta you will pay more and find more development. Check out the different counties nearby. Georgia has more counties than any other state -- so counties are sort of small.

3. swamp_deb

swamp_deb Well-Known Member

With the University of Georgia in Athens, you can expect a college town atmosphere. With Atlanta to the west, you will find those prices higher than to the east. There are small towns to the north and to the east that are not too far to commute to Athens. The land is rolling in some areas and the Smokies are not too far away. I really believe the you will be able to find something that you will be happy with around the area. Any other question, just ask. We have been to and around the area many, many times. Have friends and family there.
    Good luck.

4. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

We're in north Alabama so you will not be too far away. You will need to make sure your land has no zoning and no covenants or restrictions...you may have to get out in the county a bit away from the main town.

5. januaries

januaries Well-Known Member

As has been state, Athens is (and feels like) a university town. Lots of unique shops, cafes, coffee houses, etc. Small enough to get to know, but large enough to have a lot to offer. I like it, personally. We used to live a hour north of Athens. I worked in Athens for six weeks, and the commute was mostly through rolling farmland and tiny communities. Depending on how far you're willing to drive, you could probably find something suitable.

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Pull up mapquest.com and enter the city, there is a business directory that lists 6 real estate agencies, there is also maps that can be enlarged or zoomed in.

7. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

There's a house for sale on the barter board in Comer, near Athens for 50K. It has a little acreage with it. My girls goto camp in Ila, near Athens every summer. It's a nice little town. They are starting to build up around the outskirts now. I'm trying to get out of GA because theyare building up so much everywhere. I hope you like hot weather. It'll be a rude awakening coming from Michigan. But I do love GA. I was bred, born and raised here.