What can I do?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by KellyB, May 6, 2004.

1. KellyB

KellyB Member

Good Morning-- I've been lurking here for quite awhile and it's high time I introduce myself. However, before I do, I want to take a moment and sincerely thank everyone for allowing me to eavesdrop on your conversations. I have gained so much inspiration and information from the people on this board. I am very grateful. My name is Kelly. My fiance and I have just recently purchased our first home. (A completely remodeled 1940's farmhouse surrounded by farms and fields in little ole' Leslie, Michigan.) I just graduated from college (B.S. Environmental Science) and we will close on the house May 20th. Therefore, I have a period of approximately two weeks of free time. My question to all of you experienced homesteaders is, what can I do in the meantime? The fruit trees have been ordered, the garden seeds have been started, the chickens are on backorder...It's been so long since I've had time all to myself that I am at a loss as to what to do. I know in about a month I'll be wishing I had all this spare time back. Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome and appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Kelly

2. Jim S.

Jim S. Well-Known Member

I SUGGEST YOU ENJOY THE FREE TIME, and savor every possible moment of it. Cuz once that first package arrives, you will find precious little of it in your future. We've been on our place 14 years, and there has never been a time when the list of things to do ran short.

Gluttons for punishment, we just bought an acreage that meets our back boundary, doubling our to-do list in a single day!

Once you get into it, you will either burn out, or learn the Golden Rule of Farming:

There will always be more that needs done than you can possibly do.

Consider your place a process and not a rush to some abstract concept of perfection, and you'll be better off mentally. When my Dad comes to visit from his suburban quarter-acre, he is always saying, "Why don't you do this or this or this?" I calmly reply, "Dad, you live on a quarter-acre lot, and you're retired to boot. It takes a lot more to run this place."

I have two ponds stocked with bass, bluegill and catfish. The last time I fished in them was 3 years ago. :) The trespassers get more fishing done than I do! Heheheh.

Best of luck to you. Make some iced tea and sit on the porch awhile. You'll be glad later that you did!

3. While there will always be more to do, if you are asking what you can do you should do something. If you have seedling germinating then you may want to start clearing ground for your garden. Do any soil conditioning you think you may need and let it compost and settle a little before you transplant your seedlings. If you have fruit trees on the way you may want to plan out where you want them to grow. Possibly start digging holes if they are due to arrive anytime soon. Digging holes is backbreaking work and if you have time to do it before the trees arrive you can pace yourself. Build a container for a compost pile and get it started, compost is good. Plan out where you are going to put your day old chicks. Get everything ready for them. Do you have a chicken coop or does it need to be built?

4. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Kelly!
    The archives are kind of fun to read if you have the time, lots of good information. :)

5. SueD

SueD Well-Known Member

I'm with Jim.... Once you get into your new home, there's going to be precious little time for sleep, let alone relaxation!!!! Enjoy it while you got it, cause you're not going to have sit-down time again till late fall, lol!!

Congratulations, by the way - I can't wait till I get there myself!!!!

Sue

6. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Kelly. I agree with the others that you should take a little time to step back and enjoy. If you really feel a need to do something you might dig the holes for your fruit trees and preparing the soil around where you are going to plant them. There's nothing worse than having a bunch of fruit trees arrive and feeling way under the gun to get them planted.

Find a nice spot and write down your thoughts as you start this time of your life. Pack them away so that you can look at them a few years down the road and be surprised at your perceptions versus what actually comes to pass.

Just a couple thoughts.

Mike

7. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

Relax , read , make lists , start a journal...........

8. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Kelly, I know my most missed treasured moments when I was enrolled in college, was READING.. you know.. What I WANTED to read. There are so many wonderful books on homesteading, animals, etc.... GO for it, GIRL!! The knowledge will be quite useful. I think there is even a thread on some good books. Welcome and congratulations on getting such a wonderful start to your life! (Hope my kids manage to do that!)

9. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

I was in this situation last August. Two weeks off and a month from closing on my homestead. I was fortunate in that the place I was buying was vacant and I obtained permission to just walk the property. I spent hours over there just walking around - getting familiar with what it was that I purchased. Every day I noticed something different that changed the plans I originally had. By the time I moved in I had a firm idea of what I wanted to start with. It was a fun vacation for me.

One thing I could have spent more time on that month was organizing my move - packing in an organized fashion, etc. There never seemed to be enough time for that and there were way too many boxes labelled MISC! :D I am still sorting boxes! :haha:

Good luck with your new place!