What can I do with wild hops?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cabin Fever, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

This morning Wind In Her Hair and I found what I believe is wild hops (see photo below). First of all, does anyone know if these are really hops? Secondly, if they are hops, do they normally grow this far north? And lasty, what can we do with them (besides making beer)?

Has anyone else ever found wild hops in a northern climate? These vines were growing over and thru alder bushes on the edge of a wetland.

[​IMG]

2. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Bummer, I can't see the picture. (I know nothing about hops but just wondered what they might look like.)

3. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

4. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Edible Landscaping says the early shoots are like asparagus. They prefer the north- Germany and England- I couldn't get them started off in Texas.

5. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

not sure how far north you are as compared with Bonners Ferry Idaho which boundary county Idaho borders British Columbia and they have grown commercial hops for Coors there since the 70's, and for Anhauser-Busch since the 80's on several farms..... hops have medicial uses, and of course they have been used to flavor barley pop for a couple years now......

Awesom find though! are they plentiful?

William

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Northern hops are usually found only on rabbit trees, rabbitus tallus variety, not to be confused with lute fisk bushes, also ample in Minnesota.

7. freelove

freelove Well-Known Member

Hops in a tea or tincture are mildly sedative, soporific and antispasmodic

Much of the wild hops are escapees from the hop growing industry. Depending on the variety they are hardy to zone 3 or 4.

freelove

8. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Make a tea to judge the bitterness units before using them in beer. They may be too mild/bitter for your taste. And using plain malt and hopping it yourself is very rewarding, try a batch that way sometime, Nancy, and I'll bet you like it.

I grow and use my own hops that I both planted and rescued from a dilapidated homestead. They can cause itchy skin after handling the vines, so I wear gloves. They make terrific drapings for dried flower arrangements and are slightly fragrant. Pick them now before they begin to turn brown.

Gather the inflorescence ('flower') and dry on a screen then store in an airtight jar. Makes a lovely addition to herbal tea blends.

9. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

Hops it is! I use the stobiles in sleep pillows along with chamomile and lavender. According to Chevallier's Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine, it relaxes smooth muscle, so can be useful in treating digestive upset and cramps. It also contains estrogenic compounds, so beware men! Ingesting or handling it in very large amounts may have effects that could be upsetting to your women!!

10. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

If they're wild hops then make WILD BEER!!! :buds: :buds: :buds: :goodjob:

11. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

Looks like what my husband grows for his home brew. I've tried to find other ways to use them, someone posted a recipe for bread on here for me last year when we had so many. I've not been able to figure out how to propagate them either-no seeds that I could find so could only divide and transplant the rizomes. They are a very pretty vine though. Ours grows up to the peak of the roof and then back down.

12. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

We have a variety that climbs over the entry trellis and fence in our garden -- we planted it. It is going crazy -- very strong and healthy.

To answer your question, "Has anyone else ever found wild hops in a northern climate?" I don't see why in wouldn't grow wild in your climate -- since the one we planted took off so well, and our climate must be similar to yours, 40 below and all that, though we are further north with longer hours of daylight in the summer.

Alex