What can I do with this rusty old wheelbarrow?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Puddleduck, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Well-Known Member

Hi. I have a rusty red wheelbarrow with a flat tire. I hate to throw it out.
    You all are so clever here. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do with it?
    Thank you.

2. lynpea

lynpea Well-Known Member

wheel it up close to your kitchen door and plant it full of herbs.........mmmm basil, thyme, oregano, parsley maybe even some lettuces....... Now if you are a flower lover fill it with flowers.

3. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I was going to say the same thing. You can also paint over the rust to make it look a little prettier.

4. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

I love the herb idea. I think strawberries would be beautiful in it. Paint the handles red. :)

5. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

strawberries should do well.

6. WolfWalksSoftly

WolfWalksSoftly Level II -Inappropriate

Use a small pump (fishtank) and make a birdbath. Add a few nice looking rocks for visual effect....The sound of water will attract birds and they will love it.

7. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

tip it over and plant a bunch of pansy's on the ground beside it. Like it tiped over with them in it and spilled out

8. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Take the wheel and handles off of it, put it in a hole and make a goldfish pond or water feature in a flower bed. It could also be used as a feeding trough in the pasture for livestock.

If it's still usable and not to rusty (as in rusted through) get the wheel aired up. It might still be usable as a wheelbarrow.

We used a wheelbarrow at my daughter's wedding to hold ice and drinks for the cookout after the wedding.

9. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Me, I'd sand the rust off, cover it with POR-15, paint it, fix the tire, grease what needs greasing, and away I'd roll.

Too practical, I suppose...

Pony
    !

10. Puddleduck

Oh Thank you!

You all gave me some great ideas, but I'm going to go with the strawberry's being as how the wheelbarrow is already red and I definetly want to grow strawberry's. :)

11. Puddleduck

GrannyG, I have to tell you that your strawberry's are planted
    and growing very nicely!!! Thank you again. :D:D:D

12. kathrynlmv

kathrynlmv Well-Known Member

I'd fill it with dirt and grow cucumbers in in....the vines would cascase over the sides and down to the ground and look beautiful. kathrynlmv

13. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Restrict the herbs to just mint. Mint loves a bit of iron, so a rusty wheelbarrow would be just want the doctor ordered for it. Also would keep it from taking over your entire garden! Just drill a few holes in the bottom for drainage, and put it under a drippy tap.

It would also be nice mass-planted with bulbs, or other annual flowers - pansies or whatever you like.