Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 6 red delicious apples that are starting to get mushy, 6 peaches no one seems to want and 5 nectarines. The kids say they are all fruited out since I serve it with dinner alot. I don't want them to go to waste. Some creative cook tell me what I can make with these! :)
God Bless,
Michele

·
This is my life
3,828 Posts
stew the apples down with brown sugar and cinnamon and serve with oatmeal for breakfast or freeze.
I would take the peaches and nectarines and make a cobbler or ice cream or milk shakes

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
In addition to the ideas above....You could also make some peach/nectarine freezer jam. Apple pie? Chunky Applesauce with cinnamon?

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
How about some sort of chutney? Boil the fruit down, after peeling and slicing, then add you pick of spices. You could can the resulting mixture in 1/2 pint jars.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Worst comes to worst you can prepare them as if you are going to can them, then freeze them and can them when you run a batch of something else through the canner. Well, the peaches and nectarines you could do that with. The apples sound like applesauce time to me. :)

Jennifer

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
i feed them to my hogs when they get that way :)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
We like to chop assorted fruit like that up into little dices and mix it all together. Typically I use strawberries in it for the red color, and kiwi because we all love kiwi, and whatever else I have on hand. Take some flour tortillas, butter them lightly and sprinkly with cinammon sugar and cut in quarters. Bake in the oven until crisp and use the fruit mix as salsa. It's a hot-summer-day favorite around here.

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
apples...apple crisp.....sahre with neighbors :)

Did this a lot last year.

have a dehydrator? use the other fruit and blend it up till its liquidy mush (add a little lemon to keep the color) spread it out on a liquid dehydration tray and dry it for homemade fruit foll ups.

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
Aunt Lil's cobbler recipe (easy, easy, easy!)

Melt a stick of butter in a baking pan or casserole dish while the oven preheats to 350 degrees.
In a bowl, mix 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt.
Stir in 1 cup milk, whisk until smooth.
Pour on top of the melted butter. Top with the fruit of your choice, about 1-2 pints.
(If you have a lot of fruit, you can double the recipe and use a 13x9 pan.)
Bake 1 hour at 350 or until the batter is done in the center.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
willow_girl said:

Melt a stick of butter in a baking pan or casserole dish while the oven preheats to 350 degrees.
Pour on top of the melted butter. Top with the fruit of your choice, about 1-2 pints.
Ding ding, we have a winner! :)
DH was asking for something like this earlier!
God Bless,
Michele

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
willow_girl said:

HEY - your Aunt Lil' must have stole my Great Grammas recipe.....or vice versa. :D That is the absolute best cobbler in the universe, no matter who discovered it!

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
cook them up together and mash. Pour onto dehydrator sheets or plastic lined cookie sheet. Add some kind of juice if not easily spread. Dehydrate in oven or in dehydrator until not sticky. Cut and wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for when there aren't fresh nectarines to eat!

I also just blend up fruit in applesauce and pour onto the dehydrator sheets.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome ideas!
The fruit stand usually has bruised fruit very cheap and now I know what to do with it! :)
God Bless,
Michele

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
willow_girl said:

Thanks for the recipe!
I decided to try it - it's in the oven as we speak! :p
I used peaches, btw

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,532 Posts
willow_girl said:

My mouth is watering just from reading that!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts