What can I do with green tomatoes?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by DixyDoodle, Sep 26, 2006.

1. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

We're up to our ears in green tomatoes. For whatever reason, the plants have gone into a growing spurt once again, and are flowering still, but they are not turning red, probably because it is getting too cold and there isn't enough reliable sun to turn them.

I guess if you have any good fried green tomato recipes.....LOL But what else can I do with them? One can only eat so many fried tomatoes.

Also, if a tomato is totally green and still firm, will sitting them in the window turn them? I've only done that with semi-red tomatoes.

Thanks!

DD

2. Dink

Dink Well-Known Member

Share...lol
    you can put them in a window in the sun

I have heard of putting them in brown paperbags but Im not sure that works :shrug:

3. deaconjim

deaconjim Appalachian American Supporter

Green tomato relish comes to mind, but I'm afraid I don't have a recipe.

They will ripen in a window. I can remember picking green tomatoes from my dad's garden on Christmas eve (in anticipation of the first hard frost of the year). We ripened them in the sun, and my mom canned 76 quarts in January.

4. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Green tomato pie, green tomato pickle, green tomato jam, green tomato mincemeat (I just made a batch of green tomato mincemeat last night) . . . and I'm sure there's more recipes. Have you tried putting "green tomato recipes" in the Google search engine yet?

Good luck!

MaryNY

5. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

I vote for the mincemeat!

6. Ralph in N.E.Oh

Ralph in N.E.Oh Humble Shepherd

Northeast Ohio...60 minutes east of Cleveland
    You can fry them. Make a flour and egg type batter and fry then..very tasty. Every year when I was a boy, my job at garden clean up time was to pick all the green tomatoes. They were wrapped in tissue or newspaper and placed on a shelf in our basement. They were put in rows so as not to touch each other. We always had ripe red tomatoes up to Christmas. Much better than store bought. You have to check them once a week for "wet ones" they are the ones that are spoiling. We only lost a few as I remember, but you didn't want them to touch the others. I guess like apples in a barrel, throw out the bad ones and the rest are fine. Good Luck

7. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Wrap them in newspaper, put them in a box, check them every week.

To speed ripening, put them in a paper sack with an apple.

You can pull the plants up by the roots, hang them upside down, and the tomatoes will ripen that way as well.

Lots of other great green tomato ideas on the Cooking and Crafts forum:

http://homesteadingtoday.com/search.php?searchid=990360

Have fun!! :)

Pony!

8. heather

heather Well-Known Member

Google "green tomato pickles" and you'll find lots of yummy recipes.
    I usually quarter mine, but it just depends how big your tomatoes are

9. Northumberland

Northumberland Well-Known Member

I have green tomato mincemeat perking on my stove right now - have made it before, very good.

10. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

They make good pickles, relish and are wonderful fried and topped with a bit of katsup. I never measure, but my batter is a combo of cornmeal, flour, salt, and pepper. Dip them in egg or run them under the tap right before dipping them in the flour mixture. Lay them in *hot* olive or safflower oil......fry till done to taste and enjoy!! :dance:

11. debd0712

debd0712 Well-Known Member

When we lived in the Chicago area we would always pick all of our green tomatoes just before the first frost, wrap them individually in newspaper and put them on a large table on our sunporch. I would check them every few days and use them as they gradually ripened. We usually had fresh tomatoes til just after Christmas. All of the above suggestions for using them green are good too. One year I even canned and froze green tomato slices so we could have fried green tomatoes all year. Though they were good, I did not like them quite as well as fresh green tomatoes.

Debbie

12. Yvonne's hubby

Yvonne's hubby Murphy was an optimist ;) Staff Member

I bring them in and put them in a brown paper bag, they will ripen right up. Lots of green tomato relishes can be found too. :)

13. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

Thanks for the great ideas, everyone! Guess I'm going to pick some tomatoes today! :)

One of my neighbours said that a lot of people have been saying that they are getting an amazing number of green tomatoes this time of year, and none are ripening. Yep, must be the weather. How strange.

DD

14. arbutus

arbutus Well-Known Member

If you hang the entire plant by its roots to get the tomatoes to ripen, how warm or cool should it be and how much sunlight should it have?

Thanks!

15. terrythetaod

terrythetaod Well-Known Member

I vote for Fried Green Tomatoes! We eat ours with a little horseradish sauce. I don't have a recipe, but here are the approximate measurements:

2 tablespoons mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons sour cream
    2 teaspoons prepared horseradish

Stir it together and put a little on those fried green tomatoes!

16. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

17. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Fried green tomatoes of course and picklelilly relish.

18. IMContrary

IMContrary Well-Known Member

Somewhere years ago I came across a recipe using green tomatoes in a mock apple pie recipe. If I can come up with it again I'll post it.

19. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

Same here. It's October in North Idaho, and those tomatoes aren't going to get any redder. Today I pulled up the first bed, and just laid them out around the windowsills (6" deep), some in paper bags, and some in the hot water heater closet. I haven't wrapped any in newspaper yet, but that's next.

My roma's did not ripen at ALL :grump:

I picked 40# from the one bed today. I certainly have at LEAST another sixty pounds yet to bring in. Green tomatos!! I have never in my life eaten them pickled, in relishes, or chutneys (whatever that is :D), so I'm leery of canning a bunch. I do love fried green tomatos though, just hate the mess.

20. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

Tomato relish, lots of good recipes on line to meet your spice taste.

I like it with some fried taters .