What can I do with an old milk tank?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Nette, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a 250 gallon milk tank in a building that I want to use as a chicken house, and it's in the way. As soon as I get rid of it, I know I'll think of a use for it. Any ideas on what that use might be?

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Stainless milk tanks like that can be converted into excellent bait fish tanks. Some welding and plumbing would be required, but you might advertise it to sell. If it's in good condtion, it should be worth something.

3. Lrose

Lrose Well-Known Member

My father-in-law used his tank as a watering trough for his cattle in the field. When there was a dry summer he put it on the truck and took it to the lake to get water for his cattle'. Worked great and didn't rust because it was stainless stell.

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

if it's stainless steel then maple sap/sourgum sap, water resivoir, fish ,minnows,liquid plant food, frogs,large wash tank for vegys. or you could milk goats or sheep nand make cheese and soap.

5. raymilosh

raymilosh Well-Known Member

i have been looking for a large tank to use as part of a water cistern. If no one's suggestions work for you and you just want it gone, i'll come get it..assuming you don't live TOO far away. i live near Pittsboro which is in central NC, just west of Raleigh
    ray

6. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

People with small goat dairies look for small bulk tanks like that. They often don't have enough milk coming in to utilize a larger tank. You might advertize it on the goat boards.

Kathleen

7. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Think a big tank like that would be great to develope a run-off system from a barn or garage to use for irrigating a garden. DEE

8. KRH

KRH Resident Wino

If it is stainless a local winery may be interested. Many old milk tanks have found new life in the wine industry.

9. jlxian

jlxian Also known as Jean Supporter

Yes, a water reservoir is my first thought!

10. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

I've heard of someone using one in a radiant heat system.

11. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

a 250 gal stainless steel tank would make a great still....

12. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh,... KRH...! That winery was gonna be my idea. KRH took my idea so I wrote some down on a paper, but my dog ate it, and I can't remember what all I wrote. Can I turn it in tomorrow?

...a bong...? If you're in Missouri I'd say maybe a Meth Lab or a Puppy Mill. Otherwise, I think the goat thing or winery, as hauling water can be done with those big plastic tanks.