What can I do about these fleas?!!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by suehi, May 16, 2006.

1. suehi

suehi Active Member

I have had this problem with a flea infestation in my house since last summer. I thought that we got rid of them but I guess they just went into hiding for winter. I think that they go in and come back out when the weather gets warm. They are killing us. Everybody has bites all over them. We don't have any dogs or anything. But there are some stray cats that have taken up here and have taken over under my house. They have torn the instalation from under the house. I think that they are the culprits here. I have tried spray and flea powder. Nothing is working. What else can I do before calling the exterminators? I can't take it anymore. :flame:

Suehi

2. terri46355

terri46355 Well-Known Member

I used Sevin powder when we had lots of fleas in the yard. I sprinkled it around the yard, on the dogs, and on the rugs at the doorway. I put it on the carpet for a few hours and vacuumed it up. The flea eggs will hatch, so you'll have to do it once a week for at least 2 weeks.

You might want to bug bomb the house and leave for a few hours. The eggs will hatch in a week, so you will have to do it again in a week.

3. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

we used diatomacious earth, I sprinkled it even on the mattress and sheets. (I had never seen a flea before and wondered what the dots on my legs were from). It is tontoxic, but do not inhale it, wear a mask when dusting it around. I also dusted it into my cats fur.

4. Dink

Dink Well-Known Member

borax :shrug:

5. Linda H

Linda H Missouri Ozarks

To get rid of the fleas I use a product made by the company called Zodiack. You can get it at Pet Smart. its called "Carpet and Upholstery Aerisol spray. It is almost fragrace free. Its supposed to leave a residue that kills the hatching eggs, but i've found that I've had to respray lighty a second time.

To keep the fleas from biting in bed, I use Avon's Bug Guard plus. It comes in unscented and does not contain "Deet" which i'm alergic to. I turn back the blankets and lightly spray the bed about a 1/2 hour before i go to bed. I also spray it on my socks and pants legs when I get up in the morning to keep any new ones from jumping on when I go outside.

I have one question. Do the fleas on your legs hop around, or do they just sit there and you have to pull them off. There's a thing called seed ticks which are horrible this time of year. They are about the same size as a flea, but they don't hop.

I'm not much a fan of sevin, it does do the job, weather fleas or ticks, but its nasty stuff that they keep threatening to take off the market. Unless labeled for use in your home, I would stick to using it outside.

6. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Well-Known Member

will boric acid work? the roach powder ya sprinkle around that eats thru the exo-skeleton? shouldnt it also work on fleas? :shrug:

7. sapphira

sapphira Well-Known Member

We had similar problem in FL at one time. Flea-Flip if you can get it and vacuum vacuum vacuum vacuum vacuum....... S.

If can't get flea flip use a spray wiht pyrethrin.

8. suehi

suehi Active Member

These fleas bite and split(hop off, by the time you look down to smash them.

9. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

thats because fleas live in the carpet and fabrics, they just hop on you to eat.

boric acid dust, worked deep into the carpets, floor cracks, apolstry and anywhere else will break the life cycle of the fleas.... it kills the newly hatched larve.

after you work it in everywhere, let it sit few days they vacuum it all up, lots will remain in the carpet and keep killing flea babies.

everywhere else, use a pump duster and sevin-5. behind stuff you never move.

kill the baby fleas before they turn into hoppers and youll break the life cycle, and no more fleas.

why they keep coming back is because you aint killing them deep in the carpet. sprinkle the boric acid on god, and work it down into the carpets.
    you can use sevin-5 in the furnature, get it in deep even if you have to flip the stuff over.

fleas will live in bare wood floors too, the eggs hatch in the tiny cracks and spaces, along the walls... it doesnt have to be fabric or rugs.
    but they dont live ON you, your just a walking meal, once they eat they ho back to the rug/fabric/cracks to lay eggs.

10. JGex

JGex Pragmatist

11. Pink_Carnation

Pink_Carnation Well-Known Member

When we had a problem I used borax...washed everything we owned and dumped it on everything upolstered and carpeting. That was the only thing that worked.

12. beorning

beorning Well-Known Member

My sister and brother in law had a horrible flea infestation a few years ago. They'd been pretty relaxed about preventing them and they had gotten realy out of hand. The one thing that finally took care of it was to treat everything - yard, house, crawlspace,and animals all at the same time. They bombed the house and crawlspace ,fogged the yard, dipped the dogs, and took off (dogs in tow) for the weekend. Fleas problem was solved when they got back.

13. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Borax or boric acid, and vacuum, vacuum, vacumm!

14. posifour11

posifour11 Well-Known Member

one thing i've noticed that is really good is plain ole table salt. sprinkle it liberally on the carpet and leave it for a day or two. (the feeling of the salt is better than fleas) then vaccuum a bunch.

15. just_sawing

just_sawing Haney Family Sawmill

Better than the chemicals is a product called a Happy Jack. Fleas are attracted to light at night. This is a yellow night light positioned 6" above a 8/11 sheet of fly paper. Turn off all lights at night and they will go to the yellow light. This works for having dogs also. The fleas will leave the dog at night and go to the light.

16. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

my friend and i who works for a vet clinic discussed this yesterday as i was saying how borax cleaned so well and she said if you ever get fleas sprinkle it everywhere and leave it for a few days and then vaccum it up and dispose of bag out of house. She said that's whats in the expensive forumulas.

17. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Borax works.
    If you don't get rid of, or treat the cats with frontline or something you'll just get reinfested though.
    Are you feeding them?

18. Hammer4

Hammer4 Well-Known Member

Get rid of the cats under the house, then treat the house.

19. midwsthomestead

midwsthomestead joy seeker

We had this same problem recently! I posted my question over in the Pet Forum and got several good answers...here's the link, if you'd like to take a look!

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=116515

I wanted to avoid chemicals if at all possible, we ended up vacuuming twice a day (still doing that to be sure) and using a homemade flea trap (see the thread lol). The offending critter that brought the fleas inside was already living outdoors when we discovered the problem. We treated the critters as well and so far are flea-free! I'm still vacuuming daily just in case of 're-hatching'!

~Hope it helps ya!

20. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Why does baking soda work? I cannot find boric acid or Borax in France.