What can a 2yo do in the garden?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Montana Mom, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Montana Mom

Montana Mom Well-Known Member

We still have our seedlings inside and my 2yo chose a pepper plant as her own. She carries it around with her and waters it. I tell you, it is the healthiest and best looking of all the seedlings!

I've started putting the plants out some during the day and she helps carry them in and out. She does a good job.

Any other ideas for her?

2. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

Any other ideas for her?[/QUOTE]

Other ideas for her.......sure send her to my house to help with my garden :haha: :D

Since she likes to help how about letting her help with where to plant them when they do go into the ground. Maybe you could let her make little signs for which plants are which?

3. bare

bare Head Muderator

My kids always had "their own" small plot that they tended, marked out plainly. They all started out small, but it helped to keep their interest without burning them out.

4. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Get her growing a range of her own sprouts. These are so quick to grow that boredom has no time to set in. She also gets to eat the produce. Mustard and cress might be too oomphy for her, but there's alfalfa, wheat, barley, bean sprouts and many others to choose from. She can keep them moist with her own little watering can.

5. Clare Q

Clare Q Member

Two years old is a great age to start teaching your kids about gardening. My kids are older now, but I always let them have their own little patch and let them pick out their own seeds. If they can choose them themselves, they have a lot more interest in taking care of them. Expect to help the younger kids alot and to work beside them weeding and watering. Now that my kids are older, I help them do theme gardens. They have a small patch in our garden this year with purple veggies and they are so enthusiastic about this project. We have purple onions, eggplant, burgundy beans, etc. They had alot of fun finding seeds for their "purple patch" :haha: I also encourage them to try something strange and different that we have never grown before. Also for the very young, try hardy plants that will stand up to a little overwatering, and the occasional missplaced step by little ones.

6. My children are much older now, but I remember great happiness from planting quick-growing "raddichios" (baby talk for radishes)
    Sprouts are another good idea from another poster.
    I had great success with giving my kids a clean spray can with water (the kind which is usually used for cleaners).
    It would take days for them to overwater anything, but they loved misting the flowers.
    It soon moved on to misting everything including the walls, so I gave them paper towels and let them have a blast.
    My kids liked to find small rocks and put them in a bucket.
    Two years old is pretty young for detailed work. Why not give a small rake or hoe and let them "help" prepare a bed for next year. Let them have a few bricks (smaller the better) and put an edge around it.
    Most two year olds would rather play in the dirt than do anything with it I suppose.
    Enjoy!

7. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have a wagon, you can put your gardening things into the wagon to transport to the garden. She can also have a little wagon to pull with her important things in. Once at the garden, she can have a great time putting things into the wagon and taking them out. They also make a little lawnmower for helpers, so she can mow the lawn instead of trample the garden.

She may be big enough in the autumn to drop flower bulbs into holes.

When you are out in the garden, keep a little vial of vinager for hornet stings and baking soda paste for bee stings.

8. Montana Mom

Montana Mom Well-Known Member

Thanks for the ideas y'all! I'm bookmarking the thread. Today she helped me turn the dirt (well, she was supposed to be helping me pull grass, but instead she turned the dirt! lol) and she hauled weedgrass pullings to the grass box for me in her little cart.

I did make her a section in the garden-to-be and quartered it off for her. Thats where we were working today. I was telling her that her plant would go right here and I hope she understood. I don't want her getting upset and trying to take her plant back inside once its planted!! :waa:

Thanks again! :)

9. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

See if yoou can find a copy of Gardening with Children by Beth Richardson
    isbn 1-56158-192-5

or

The Kids Can Press Jumbo Book of Gardening by Karyn Morris
    ISBN 1-55074-690-1

The latter has a lot of information written for children about gardening.
    and is written for kids 8 and up.. about $15.

the first is written for adults with ideas and information about including childen in gardening.. has layouts, some recipies,,charts,,etc.
    ck for these in yoour lib
    about $20.

I found these useful in teaching a 6th grade hort.class...

10. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

Some of my best memories are of me helping my parents in the garden. The very earliest I can remember is gathering the potatoes. They would dig them up to top and I would go behind with a bucket.

I'm nearly 23 now and I love to be in the garden still. And I appreciate that my parents had done that for me so long ago. Gave me a good start in life.

11. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I have my four and two year olds pick rocks. When I work in the garden, I throw the rocks along the edge. They truck along with their $5 plastic wheelbarrows and pick them up and dump them out in the rock pile.

I've also had great success with getting them to dig out some rotten stumps with sticks, rocks, or small planting shovels. The stump is about as soft as a cotton ball, but it's one less job for me to do and they love finding bugs and such while they're working.

12. Sandhills

Sandhills Well-Known Member

You could plant her pepper plant in a pot. It would be too heavy to lift but maybe she wouldn't try pulling it out of the soil. I plant a pepper plant in a large pot every year so I can move it to my greenhouse when the weather turns cold.
    I also like a book called "Kids Gardening" by Klutz Press. We got our copy when my oldest child had just turned 3. Our book is falling apart as it has been through 5 children and is well loved.
    When my children were small they also liked to make rock gardens. It's amazing what they can come up with. My 6 and 8 year old sons still enjoy making a rock garden and it changes almost every day. :)