Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ammo still is in short supply. Local stores out of .243
currently and .223, 22-250, and all rim fire hard to get.
.17 super mag is unavailable since that caliber came out.
What's going on now?

·
Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
well things here have gotten a lot better , was just down at the local father and sons gun shop that they run nights and weekends. they have day jobs

22lr was the only thing that struck me as missing from a 8 foot wide 5 foot high shelf of ammo

22mag no problem 17hmr got it 10mm auto there also , 40 9 45 357

30-30 30-06 270 308 223 243 44 mag a few ols a few oddballs like 44-40 38-44 what they didn't have was standard pressure 38spl apparently every one wants +p

I think 243 just got a lot more popular with all the youth guns chambered in it and a lot of people are becoming fans of it

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Most common calibres, excepting 22 LR, 22 mag, and I've been looking for 38+P, seem to be in stock. Local walmart had an ad for ammo including 22LR on sale this weekend, with a three hundred round limit. Didn't go out to see if any were left

Noticed they had 223's, 700 for $456. Kinda high, since I've bought several 100 round boxes of Federals 223 in the same store for $40 a box, in the last couple months. No limit. Did'nt think I could buy new components for that price

·
Volvo With a Gun Rack
2,552 Posts
22LR is still largely missing here in Houston.

I picked up the max allowed 300 rounds twice at a local Academy last week (Federals, for just over 5 cents per round).

I stopped at a different Academy yesterday on the way home from the range and they had nothing!

Also stopped at a Wal-Mart yesterday and they only had CCI standard velocity un-plated at 7.5 cents per round. I passed. Trying not to encourage the higher price points!

Everything else I shoot, I load for...but the shelves seemed otherwise pretty well stocked with factory ammo.

Shotgun shells never were hard to get here. I guess folks don't hoard those?

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
.410 shotgun shells have also been in short supply.
Box of 50 rounds .22 Winchester wildcat went up to
$4 box. No limits that I can see. When the store runs
out we just have to wait till more comes in.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Stores here are back to what they were before the shortages started. 22 is not always available every day, but it's always on the next truck. I bought over 10k rounds prior to the shortages most for less than $9/brick. I probably will never run out. All other calibers are stocked all the time right now. I reload so I don't buy any loaded ammo.

Bob

·
Registered
671 Posts
No 22lr at big box stores. Tons of Federal 22lr at local gun shops, but the price has risen to $35 per brick. Admittedly, I bought 12 bricks at that price point because I have a sneaking suspicion that:

1. The price of 22lr will never go down again.
2. There is a reasonable chance that it will actually increase.

Every other caliber is widely available.

·
Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
No 22lr at big box stores. Tons of Federal 22lr at local gun shops, but the price has risen to $35 per brick. Admittedly, I bought 12 bricks at that price point because I have a sneaking suspicion that:

7 cents a round is a fair enough price I would probably just pay it if it was what my gun liked and stock up on it also , I got some I wouldn't have normally bought had my preferred brand and load been available at 5 cents a round just to have some for the kids to shoot up in practice and it runs just fine in a bolt action even if I have had problems with it in an auto before.

·
Volvo With a Gun Rack
2,552 Posts
Also stopped at a Wal-Mart yesterday and they only had CCI standard velocity un-plated at 7.5 cents per round. I passed. Trying not to encourage the higher price points!

Holy cow. Went to the Academy that I scored at twice recently.

They did not have any of the Federal for just over 5 cents per round...but they did have the CCI standard velocity like Wal-Mart (mentioned above in the quote).

Academy's price? $15/hundred!!!

:huh:

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stopped in at walmart today. They again were out of
bulk packs of .22 . All they had were a few 50 packs of
Remington yellow jackets. All other ammo in pretty
dismal supply.

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
.22 are still scarce. Dicks had Remington Thunderbolts with a limit of three boxes. I passed on them. As far as Im concerned Thunderbolts are the most inaccurate and dirtiest round there is. My Savage loves the Winchester bulk pack hollow points. Naturally, I can't find them anywhere.
Outside of that Most of everything is around it just costs more.

·
Registered
726 Posts
...Also stopped at a Wal-Mart yesterday and they only had CCI standard velocity un-plated at 7.5 cents per round. I passed. Trying not to encourage the higher price points!
That's about standard price for CCI mini-mags, even before the shortage. I think the only standard vel they do is target stuff, but I may be wrong. If its target, that's a very good price. Was it "green tag" 22?

I don't think its actually gone UP to that point yet. The price increases have mostly been from down the supply chain, not the factories, though bulk pack 22 at wal mart were in the $16-$18 range a year and a half ago, and are about $26 now from what I understand. If others are charging more, its because they choose to, or because they cant find it from normal channels and are paying too much for it. I don't believe its the "new normal" price, I think its the inflated price, for whichever reason apply.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
500 pack thunderbolt Remington was $32 a week ago.
It's gone up $6. This straight from the distributing supplier,
no other middlemen . Corp store has had same reliable
supplier since the fifties . Again, the shortage is there and
not getting better.

·
Registered
726 Posts
500 pack thunderbolt Remington was $32 a week ago.
It's gone up $6. This straight from the distributing supplier,
no other middlemen . Corp store has had same reliable
supplier since the fifties . Again, the shortage is there and
not getting better.

Their reliable supplier may be charging more than the actual wholesale-from-the-factory price may indicate is "normal' markup.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What I'm often hearing from visiting Americans to Canada
is that .22 ammo costs more in the states . I fear that it's
gouging and my be starting to show up here now , or soon .
A big local store had a shipment Friday of bulk 500 's.
Only 2 cases (20 boxes) sold out by Sunday.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Wal mart seems to regularly get 22's in, and they are gone in 20 mins to a couple hours. The times I've caught them, the price hasn't been dramatically higher.

I do think the majority of increase has been outside of regular factory pricing markups. I don't believe the factory price has gone up all that much. Some, but nowhere near what they have been selling for on various markets, both "regular suppliers" and resellers. For some reason many think that what scalpers and unscrupulous retailers have been selling them for is the "new normal" price. Its artificially inflated.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts