Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have the land I want (yet), but want to purchase around 20 acres in Southern Missouri. While dreaming of my ideal homestead, I keep thinking of more and more buildings that I would like to have. I finally started a list that includes everything from the house down to the compost bins and raised garden beds.

So what buildings/structures do you have on your homestead?

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Our Old place. House, Wood Shed, Barn, Rabbit Shed and Chicken House.

This place. Two Car Garage, Shop and Apartment all in one building. One Car Garage with Small Boat and Fishing Gear. One small Shed for Chickens and Rabbits.

big rockpile

·
Registered
286 Posts
House, with garage/shop. Chicken Palace. Covered pig pen. Hay/equip barn. Horse shelters. Garden shed. Tack shed. Now in need of goat barn.

Good luck and best wishes in your endeavors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We're in the same boat: dreaming. But hopefully, our future homestead...

Ten acres in the mid-Atlantic region.

A small house (~750 sq ft).
Barn, 2-4 stalls and room to convert an office space.
Outdoor kennel for the dogs.
Two lean tos for the horses and sheep.
Chicken coop.
Tiny/microhome to serve as artists' studio/guest house.
Medium sized garage/smaller barn to store equipment/machinery.
Two small sheds for gardening supplies and miscellaneous items.

The only thing that we'd like already standing on the property is a barn, but it's not necessary. I'm just a foolhardy romantic.

We'll see what actually pans out.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,913 Posts
House
detached garage, 2 car
pole barn, 30 X ?? 48 I think it is. Not quite big enough.
chicken coop, 12 X 18 or so
storage shed, 12 X 18 or so.
run-in shed for livestock, 12 X 24
hog hut, 6 X 8

We built the pole barn, chicken coop, run-in shed and hog hut. The house, garage and 1 shed were already here.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
House - 1500 sf
Milk Barn - 1500 sf (used for storage)
Well House - 120 sf (combination storage, dog & cat houses)
Wood shed - 100 sf (4+ cords)
Hay shed - 80 sf (60 bales)
Sheep Barn - 288 sf (8 sheep)
Chicken Coop - 96 sf (16 chickens)
Open Shed - 1000 sf (Tractor, mower, rabbitry, misc storage)

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Just now, there is the house, garage, wood shed, garden shed, livestock barn, hay/equipment barn, and a small shed for separating/feeding bottle calves. There's also a root cellar, but it's not a building so much as a hole in the ground. Good luck finding your land and making it what you want it to be.

·
Premium Member
25,221 Posts
Brooder house, 10X 14. Chicken house 10 X 24. Chicken house 12 x 30, Shed, 10 X 40. Grain bins 8X10, 2. Rabbit cages covered, 4 X 140

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
House 1 1/2 story, 2200sqft, half basement (hit rock). Two car attached garage. Root cellar and auxiliary kitchen with walk-in cooler attached to the garage.

Shop 35x75. Has small office, 1/2bath, lumber dry kiln. Used for woodworking, welding, mechanical repairs (drive over grease pit), ammo reloading, storage.

Shed1 24x24, with a 14x24 addition added later. Used to park pickup truck, tractor, and general storage.

Shed2 14x64 3 sided shed (open 64 side) used for tractor implements, general storage

Shed3 10x20 Used to store pair of 1500gal plastic water tanks for spring water

Shed4 8x15 Used to house two fuel tanks on stands

Shed5 8x15 garden shed. Used to house tiller, garden tools Roof mounted solar panel keeps tiller battery trickle charged over the winter

Chicken house 10x12

Square Bale barn. 24x24 with 1/2 daylight basement that is two stalls and hay rack between them that square bales can be dropped into from above

Round bale barn 16x30 (open faced to one 30' side) Used to store double stacked round bales

Sawmill shed1 20x30 open face on two sides, holds Woodmizer sawmill (which is responsible for ALL the buildings on the place) on one side, lumber storage on other.

Millshed2 14x64 Open face one side, for lumber storage.

Millshed3 10x30 Open face one side, for lumber storage.

Greenhouse1 12x20 combination greenhouse, with small room on one end to house solar electric gear.

Greenhouse2 20x40 'hoop'house. Raised beds, concrete floor with in floor hot water heating.

Couple of portable firewood sheds 8'x14' on skids. Moved around where thinning/clearing is going on to store cut/split firewood.

Nothing here when we started (1982)....not a road, no trees cleared, not a power line....nothing.

Still in the plans: 20x30 1 1/2 story log cabin on full basement for a guest house.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Listed closest to the house to the furthest

House 1400ft..
Root Cellar
Dog house
What was built as a guest/bunk house, converted to large tool shed
wood shed
machine shed 40x30 or so
log barn
regular barn (each barn maybe 20x20 and each two story)
Shop added to side of regular barn
garden tool shed or what ever you wanna use it for.. Thinking about moving it and using it as my chicken coop.

Oh.. we bought this place two years ago this month.. We just moved into it at the end of July.

Oh yeah.. Hoping to build a 30x40 or so pole barn or metal building this coming spring.. Depends on getting the pond filled and ground stable where I want to put it..

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I don't have the land I want (yet), but want to purchase around 20 acres in Southern Missouri. While dreaming of my ideal homestead, I keep thinking of more and more buildings that I would like to have. I finally started a list that includes everything from the house down to the compost bins and raised garden beds.

So what buildings/structures do you have on your homestead?
I currently have the

• shack I live in
  • well house
  • storage building
I want to add a chicken coop/tractor and possibly some rabbit shelter/cages.

There is no need for something to contain compost unless you are in a subdivision or HOA. I would not buy in either or the town (what ever it is called) limits.

Make sure what ever you buy is in the county. Do not go for the status of being seen. Plant an evergreen screen along any road or view point. It isn't just a privacy issue.

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
Cabin, DSs cabin. Garage/shop with attached greenhouse. Barn with goat, rabbit, chicken and pigeon lean to's. Storage shed with freezer, battery bank lean to. Spring house. Root cellar/fruit house....James

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
We bought an oldish farm.
We have..
-1700+ sq ft house
-10,000 sq foot barn
-1,200 sq ft shop/store
-a one car garage with a 10X12 room attached
-the 'lab'. I don't know what it's original purpose was, but it has a long bench on one wall and shelves on the other. Looks reminiscent of an old schoolhouse.
-the potting shed/well house. Brick with south wall of glass
-an old smokehouse that is a long thin building, floor sunken below surface
-an old (old, old, falling down) pig barn out in the woods.
-oh.. and a 3 room shed thing behind the barn

You can never, ever, ever have too many little buildings on your place.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
We have 2100 sq ft 1 story house, it has a nice enclosed breezeway and an 8 x 10 pantry, huge attached 2 car garage with a full bathroom and an apartment upstairs, hay/equip barn with 2 lean-tos, 2nd barn with 3 stalls and large open area as well as an enclosed storage room. There is also a turn out shed, 2 chicken tractors, a turkey pen, and 2 chicken coops. We will be adding another chicken coop shortly.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Bank barn is 60x160 roughly. Free stall barn is 50x140. Hay barns are 50x70, 30x60 and 30x40. Machine shed is 30x60. Shop is 44x88. Seed warehouse is 25x30. 3 19x20 grain bins, one 14x16. One 16x66 silo, one 18x60, two 36x10x100 bunkers. 4-5 other random little buildings. 4 houses

·
Transplanted Tarheel
677 Posts
On our one acre house lot: House, 2 car garage/workshop, tool shed with loft that doubles as as an animal nursery when needed and a chicken/pig/calf house.

At our 15 acre farm beside us, a 2-story garage with an attached run-in shed for sheep.

·
Banned
132 Posts
House
detached garage
Barn
chicken coop
woodshed

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
We are in between places and plan on being moved next year.
Current 3 acres:
100 y/o 1800ish sq ft house
Huge detached garage and motorcycle shop.
Six stall barn with a 12x36, three-sided run-in. We have the horses and mules here.

Thirty-five acres that we'll build a house on next year:

48x96 almost finished building with a 12x48 shed on one end. 48x40 of the building has a heated concrete floor, water and insulated walls. I keep telling DH that I'm going to move in!
16x24 chicken house. I could have almost lived there before the chickens started pooping in it!
Cow shed
Two-2-sided run ins, used for hay storage this time of year and let hogs farrow in one of them in the Spring.
Hog house that is for farrowing a couple of sows at a time and used as living space by how ever many decide to sleep there when the fans are on.

The newest "building" built by DH is a huge dog house for the two Great Pyrs. Truck topper for a roof, wooden sides, pallet floor covered with stall mats and straw.
A wood shed has been started next to the boiler for the new building floor.

Everybody/thing has a place except me!

Oh yeah, a pretty nice outhouse with a sawdust toilet built when we first bought the place.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have found buying a property with usable buildings is usually less expensive than building. I just bought a house that needed quite bit of reno but was set up perfectly with 3 run-ins, multiple fenced areas, shop, new barn and frost free waters with electric in 7 places! Reno is now complete and 1972 model home is like new and I have 40k less in it than comps are selling for in this area. Just the watering system here would have cost a fortune and it was wonderful to be able to move a good distance with livestock in one fell swoop.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts