What breeds do we have?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Mouse, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Mouse

Mouse Well-Known Member

Hello,

We bought 5 more ewes this weekend from a private auction. They look nice and healthy and are eating well. We think we have figured out 2 are Romanov (dark brown almost reddish wool with black head and legs) and 1 is Hampshire (white wool and black head), but we're baffled about the other 2.

One of them has lots of light brown wool on her body, her legs have short curly dark brown wool, and her face is totally covered with short curly light brown wool. She looks like she has a mask over her head as her eyes and nose are dark. Her head is quite a bit wider and shorter than any of our others. I thought for sure I had seen this somewhere, but I can't find out what breed she is. She is very large with all this wool and quite tall (in comparison to my Shropshires)

The other one has nice cream wool, but her face and legs are covered with white and brown patches.

They are getting along so well with everyone else and are extremely curious about us. 2 of our rams are very curious about them and are making them feel welcome. They just sniff the ewes rear right now. How would we determine if they are pregnant?

Thank you,
    Mouse

2. Mouse

Mouse Well-Known Member

Oh, the Hampshire could be a Suffolk, I was just going through the breeds again and noticed this.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Hamps have a wooly forehead like a Dorset a clean top would more likely be a suffolk. Your other two.............?? :D

4. Mouse

Mouse Well-Known Member

OK, then I have a Suffolk. Here's a picture that I have. It's a good shot of the Suffolk. Behind her are 3 of the others ones, but you can't see them very well, except for coloring. the one in the middle behind her is the one with the brown/white patches on her head. I think the one on the right next to the tree is the one with the masked head. I will try to take more photos, but I'll have to get them developed. If I haven't had it done by next weekend, I have some friends coming back through who took these with a digital and I'll have them take better shots of all 5.

Thanks
    Mouse

It's not showing up, so hopefully you can go to it.

http://www.geocities.com/mbldesigns/photos/MBLSheep/DSC_0388.JPG

5. bergere

bergere Just living Life

The face coverd ones could be southdown. I could not get your link to work, so I can't tell you for sure.
    Here is a link you can check out sheep breeds at...

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/

Congrats on your new sheep!!!

6. Ross

If you back out the picture's name and hit return you get the parent directory and then click on the photo. It's rather large so be patient. I'll try to link it too. Mouse's new sheep <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/mbldesigns/photos/MBLSheep/DSC_0388.JPG" TARGET="ASDF">Click here</A>

Definately a Suffolk in the fore ground and I'd guess the one to the far right is one as well. We have some all black Suffolks. The black and white faced could be a Scotish Black Face.

7. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Nope,, still will not work for me.. sigh ~ ~ ~ :?

8. Ross

I can plug the copied address into the browser and half the time it loads the rest of the time it throws up the same page your no doubt getting. Frustrating! I copied the picture shrank and trimmed it some to load quick. I hope mouse doesn't mind but I'll post it above seperately.

9. bergere

bergere Just living Life

OK,, see it now. Yes, the clear one in front is a Suffolk.

I have an idea what a couple of the others are, but need clearer pictures, just to make sure.
    :D

10. Mouse

Mouse Well-Known Member

Thank you Ross. I am horrible at getting photos to show up nicely. No I don't mind at all. Yours looks so much better than mine do even from the CD my friends left me.

Thanks so much.

I'm going back to the sheep breeds and check out the Scotish Black faces. I've looked at almost all of those sheep they have, there are so many.

Thanks

11. diamondefarm

diamondefarm Well-Known Member

The front ewe is a Suffolk cross. Too much wool around the legs and head area to be 100% suffolk, but it is pretty much suffolk. Of the the black-faced market lamb type ewes, suffolks are the most genetically prone to twinning and triplets, so odds are in your favor for a good lamb crop :D