what breeds can be mixed??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BiGtImEfArMeRs4, Jan 24, 2005.

1. BiGtImEfArMeRs4

BiGtImEfArMeRs4 Well-Known Member

Hayyz, does anyone know if you can breed nubians to boers? How bout LaManchas? What abouts Oberhalasi, Saanen, Alpine, or Toggenburgers?

Another question, what are some different breeds that some of you breed? And how do they turn out?

Thanks in advance!
    Lori

2. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

We have mixed breeds...all mixed breeds. There is not a single purebred on our farm currently (did have a purebred Nubian doe, have had purebred bucks adn am actually brining in at least three purebred bucks next year if not four..two Nubians, one Saanen and possibly an Alpine).

You can find our crosses on our webpage
    Caprine Capers

Ours are mostly Nubian, LaMancha, Pygmy, and Saanen, but we do have Boer, Alpine, and Togg in some of them as well.
    We started out with does of different breedings and then whatever buck we brought in they were all bred to and that is how there are so many breeds in our herd.

If you have other questions feel free to ask. We generally dam raise our kids but I am going to be milking four of them this year and have milked our half Nubian, half LaMancha for a few years.

3. BiGtImEfArMeRs4

BiGtImEfArMeRs4 Well-Known Member

Okay, thanks! Am looking at the website now. We had a nubian nanny before and bred it to a boer billy. The buck was smaller than the nanny, but she died because the baby was too big for her to have. Just want to make sure that does'nt happen again. So you can breed any dairy breeds to boer billys and there shouldn't be a problem, as long as the doe is'nt really small?
    Thanks!

4. dosthouhavemilk

We had a half Boer, half Saanen buck (still have him) and a half Boer, 1/4 Alpine, 1/4 Tog buck. Our smallest goat we bred them to was our mostly pygmy dam Velvet. She did have problems kidding this year (first year settling to them). She had a very large, single, breech buck. I feel that if she had had multiples like she normally does she wouldn't have had as much trouble because they would have been smaller. Since I have the other bucks coming in I will not be breeding her back to William again. The rest of the does have not had any problems yet with kids being too big and that pygmy dam has two daughters in our herd.

Usually the dam will determine how large the kids can get in utero. Multiples tend to be easier for them to have because they tend to be smaller than singletons. Flushing (feeding quality feed at breeding time) can encourage multiples in goats.

I know of a couple of people who breed their Nubian dams to Boer bucks because the wethers grow wonderfully.

5. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

We have a full-blood Boer buck, and a menagerie of trouble-makers for does -- an Alpine, a Pygmy and a Pygora. We also have the Alpine's half-Boer yearling daughter, the Pygmy's half-boer yearling twin does, and just this week, the Pygora's half-Boer buck kid. The Boer coloring seems to be dominant, and all of the kids have gained a great deal of muscle from the Boer cross. Before the Boer, we had a beautiful Oberhasli buck, and everybody had wonderful kids from him too.

Although our experience has been good, I have had Pygmy breeders tell me that it's not really good to cross Pygmy's with standard-sized breeds. I will say that our Pygmy is larger than many Pygmy's I've seen, and she's probably in the vicinity of 10 years old, so she has plenty of capacity to manage big babies.

Susan

6. 1farmgirl

1farmgirl Well-Known Member

I have some Heinz 57 and some purebred Lamancha, Alpine, and Nubian. I have to say that it's been my experience that the crosses (Heinz 57) generally have a healthier constitution than my purebreds. I think a lot of this has to do with the proper nutrition when they are infants, though. I think my hardiest ones are Lamancha, and my Alpine/Nubian cross. I've tried a new thing this year, I have 3 of my older does bred to a boer. We're still waiting on babies. Poor things look like they could pop.

Kathy

7. budove

budove Member

I had 3 nubians do fine this year with a boar as the buck I have 8 babies and had no proublems. Feed is a very iportant part of it. They need the right amounts for proper growth. but to much of a good thing can also be badI had a friend whow had all boar goat and they had proublems they fed alot of soy meal witch is high in protien. This is ok but they whent overboard and the babies were to big. these were full blode to so it had nothing to do with the mixing.

8. dosthouhavemilk

I have heard the concern about pygmies to Boers as well. Our pygmy is also a larger pygmy (most likely not purebred) and we have never bred her to a pygmy..always to full sized Dairy bucks and she has never had any troubles before this year. She is around 8 years old now. She did have an inbred doe and buck last year and if the doe had made it to maturity (we lost her this past weekend) I was not going to breed her to a full sized buck unless she grew to be as big as her dam.

9. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

when yo u have mixed breeds, do you get more milk, and is it as good? I have nubians, but was thinking of mixing.