What breeds can be bred....?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BiGtImEfArMeRs4, Mar 27, 2005.

1. BiGtImEfArMeRs4

BiGtImEfArMeRs4 Well-Known Member

What breeds does anyone know of that will come into heat all year round or when do the different breeds come into heat? Tell me if I am wrong, but I thaught that the Saanen's, Oberhasli's, Toggenburg's, Boer's, Nubian's, Alpine's and LaMancha only come into heat from around August to January. I know the pygmy's come into heat year-round, but are they the only ones that can be bred at different times?
    Thanks!
    Lori

2. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

pygmys nubians and boers will come in year round, but with any animal some of them will come into season whenever they darn well please

3. LuckyGRanch

LuckyGRanch Well-Known Member

And depending on where you are even they may not come into heat year round. It is VERY rare for us to have off season Nubian or Boer kids. Pygmies happen occasionally. I think it is because we are so far North.

4. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

My Nigerians cycle year round. Any goat that originates from a local near the equator (ie Afric, southamerica etc.) should breed year round. Colder climate goats only cycle in fall to ensure that kids come when it is warmer

5. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

my Nubian come into heat, all the time, year around. and I have one togg, that is in heat right now. so pretty much when they want to around here.

6. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Kinder goats (Pygmy/Nubian cross) will also breed year-round.

Kathleen

7. BiGtImEfArMeRs4

Thanks to everyone who replied! So, pretty much any breed can come into heat? But it all mainly depends on where you are located and the climate and all of that stuff? From what I am reading, especially Nubians, Pygmy's, Nigerian's and Kinder's come in heat all year round?
    Thanks!
    Lori

8. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't really think you could count on it in Pennsylvania. My Nubians will breed all year here in Texas, but when we were in Colorado, my Friend's Nubians only cycled seasonally.

9. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

My Nubians are seasonal breeders, and so is everyone's around here. I wouldnt count on them as a year-round breeder.

10. BiGtImEfArMeRs4

Okay thanks! The only breed that we have had that so far has came into heat for us was pygmy's. This is our first year with the diary and meat goat's though, so we were'nt sure if they are like the pygmy's. Thanks a lot!
    Lori

11. Trisha-MN

Trisha-MN www.BilriteFarms.com

Well here in MN we've had "off season" kids from Kinders, ND and Nubians but I wouldn't count on the Nubians for off season kids. Kinders and ND seem to be a bit better for that... going to try for some fall Kinders again this year too.

12. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

I'm in south central PA.

I have boers and boer crosses. They breed only as it's cooler in weather. Sperm count goes down in the warmer months and they just don't so much as care to carry on so much when its hot. Usually later in September until April somewhere you can count on utilizing the buck.

It really does depend on where you live.