What breed?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by silverjump, Jan 2, 2005.

1. silverjump

silverjump New Member

I have been wanting to get a hive of bees started this summer and I was wondering what breeds might be good for a beginner living in the Northern Midwest. Would I want a more gentler breed or should I get a semi-agressive breed so they will defend themselves better as I would have to ekep them out of town (I still haven't figured out where I could keep them). With this being said, I would also like to take some recommendations on what books I may want to get. I also have contacted a local bee keeping club so wish me luch! Thanks for the input.

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

The only 2 peadators in the upper mid-west that I can think of are skunks and field mice.

To avoid the mice, use an entrance reducer in the fall and winter.

To fix the skunks, keep an eye out for scratches on the landing board or the front of the box. If you do see a bunch of scratches, get some tack strips from a carpet store and fasten them on. This will stop the skunks from bothering the bees. What they do is, they scratch at the hive at night and pick off the guard bees when they come out.

Another predator is teenagers trying to be funny, but I have no cure for that! Sorry!

OH! I forgot!

If you livein the mountains, bears might be a problem! I have no cure for that, either! :(

3. rwjedi

rwjedi Member

I have heard that going with a top entrance takes care of the skunks, because then they have to expose their belly's to get at the bees and they don't like doing that. Helps keep the mice out also.

4. rainesridgefarm

rainesridgefarm Well-Known Member

If you are going to get Italians get the MN Hygenic Italians or get New world Carniolan. The carniolans are the most calmest bees there are. Italians do produce more honey.