What breed???

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by james dilley, Oct 19, 2006.

1. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I Am thinking about A few sheep.So I want A meat type what breed for the summers here on the border?? I can get Barbado sheep but they are flighty. Any thoughts..?

2. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

Katahdins! Ours came out of a flock of about 300+, so they are not pet tame, but good flocking instinct, and we've been pleased with their gentle disposition. Easy to work, easy to lamb on pasture, and a better meat carcass that the Barbs I have seen.

BTW, we have around 10 ewe lambs for sale - born in late May - at $150 each, $125 in lots of 5 or more. Southeast Ohio.

Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

3. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Dorpers are the largest and fastest growing hair sheep. They were derived in South Africa so are quite hardy in hot climates.

Check out www.dorper.org for breeders in your area.

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I was thinking about some black face sheep ,myself. and am not 100% sure what I can get right now..

5. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

James - I raise California Red sheep in the San antonio area. Cal Reds are a true breeding cross between Barbado and Tunis - they love hot weather and will breed in the hot weather too (we expect 3 lambings every 2 years). Go to www.nmredsheep.meridian1.net and take a look at these wonderful sheep. My flock is from these people. I'll have a few ewe and ram lambs for sale this spring (lambs due next month), and some other people up around Waco will too. Between the two flocks we have enough unrelated rams and ewes to have excellent genetic variation.

6. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Do you want wool or hair sheep?