What breed was this guy?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dosthouhavemilk, Mar 26, 2005.

1. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

[​IMG]

This is a stray that ended up in our doe pen on October 18th, 2004. I had just put our William in to breed the does and went down the next morning to see horns coming towards me through the mist. My first thought was how did William grow horns overnight. :eek:

He had been roaming around town for two weeks (had escaped from the truck taking him to the local sale barn) and we were the first to be able to get him to stick around....He stuck around because we had does in heat.
    Anyways, he was in with our does (had to take William out because this guy knocked off one of his scurs) until the 22nd. Snow White was in heat on the 21st. I put her with William for him to breed her (the whole reason William was in the pen was so I would be sure he bred SW), but she was with that stray for most of the time.
    She had her kids on the 22nd of this month and they look like they are his and not William's. Since she had a doe it would be nice to have an idea of what her breeding is.

The Sale Barn said he was a registered Boer. :confused: He doesn't look anything like any Boer I have seen, especially those horns. Dad was thinking maybe they meant meat goat when they said Boer, in which case, does he look kiko?
    All I know is I have a little wether and doe down tehre and don't know what their daddy was.

Any ideas?

2. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

the picture is blury, but from what i can see it looks like a boer cross.

3. dosthouhavemilk

[​IMG]
    Another shot.
    I'm glad I thought to take some pictures of him.

4. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

That id definately a boer cross!

the second picture is much better, thank you.

_neal and Beth

5. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Yup, it's got to be a cross with horns like that. My first thought was Boer/Saanen, or something similar. One of the Alpine breeds crossed with a Boer?

6. dosthouhavemilk

William is actually a Boer/Saanen cross (dam was Saanen, sire Boer) and so it wouldn't be too suprising, except this guy was a year older than our boys and didn't look like our boys.
    Does a Nubian Boer cross make any sense? Since so few dairy people keep horns on their goats I don't know what a Nubians horns look like.

Thanks for all your help!

7. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

nubian horns spread out like that too , he could be a boer spanish cross....
    not full blood boer though , boer horns come back over the head , similar to rams horns

8. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

Alpine / nubian mix, if you have dairy, they will be good milkers. I have a doe, that looks just like him. and she has great milk. first freshener, i was getting a half gal. out of her each milking, now this is her second freshening, she had quads, and iam getting just under a gal, each milking. and her milk is wonderful. She looks just like this guy, except for the horns and beard. alpine/nubian cross.

9. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

10. AndreaR

AndreaR Well-Known Member

Seems to me the horns are more widely spaced than the myotonic goats, more like the wider spread of the Cashmere( also known as Spanish Meat) goats. The buck sure looks like the cashmere goats I saw recently but the body structure seems to have something like boer...does he have a roman nose profile like the boers or the nubians? That and the ears would be an indicator. He's a fine looking fellow regardless!!

Hope you get some cute kids out of him....send us some pictures sometime :)

Andrea

11. dosthouhavemilk

If he had myotonic in him, there wasn't much. :haha:
    There was a reason he had yet to be caught by anyone else. When the two men from the sale barn were here to catch him I found out the only reason he had stuck around was because of our does in heat. The four of us had him cornered and to get away he leaped about 5 feet straight up in the air and over a guy who was trying to grab him! :worship: Wish I had been there when they catually caught him. I was looking for a lasso.
    Dad had wanted to keep him if we could afford it, he liked his looks so much. But since I am the one who works with the goats and there was going to b nooo way to keep him in a buck pen, let alone get close enough to worm him...I was just as glad to see him go. :rolleyes:

Here are Snow White's kids born the 22nd. She is half Saanen, half LaMancha (hence my trying to get William to breed her again).
    [​IMG]
    The doeling. It doesn't show her color very well but she is greyish.
    [​IMG]
    The wether

They don't have the Boer tails that I am used to seeing out of our half Boers, which is the reason I am thinking they are this guy's and not William's. That and the twins from SW and William last year were Boer with the faint spots on them.

And actually, I am going to have to take a second look at Marble's kids at the barn. Looking at the photos they don't have the thick hair coat that William's otehr offspring have. She kidded the 15th, but I have her being harassed on the 20th by the bucks.
    [​IMG]
    Wether
    [​IMG]
    Wether

This year's kids are here: Caprine Cherubs
    William's and the kids that could be the stray's are near the bottom.

We only have one more doe due to kid that has a chance of being bred to this guy. She is taking her time.

12. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I would guess Nubian and Boer cross. I doubt that he has any of the alpine breeds (Alpine, Saanan, Oberhasli, Toggenburg) in him, or they are less than half if he does, because my half Oberhasli/half Boer doe has Ober ears, not Boer ears. Her 3/4 Boer kids have Boer ears, though.

Kathleen

13. Gary

Gary Member

Looks very similar to some of my Boer/Kiko crosses but his horns do favor the
    look some myotonics have but he'd have a heavier rear if myotonic.

14. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Those horns sure do look cashmere, as does the nice full beard. The rest of his coat isn't right, though. Cashmeres (even half breeds) are shaggier even after they've blown the under coat.