What breed of goats?.......

Discussion in 'Goats' started by monarchcmj, Jan 24, 2005.

1. monarchcmj

monarchcmj Well-Known Member

I am having a hard time deciding which breed of goat to purchase. I need goats that will have nice temperaments, and won't "butt" too much.
    I have 4 children, ages 9, 6, 5, and 3 and I want them to be able to interact with the goats without fear of them being "butted" and also without stressing the goats.
    I don't have much land, so I'm not sure full-sized goats would be a good idea, but since I plan on having only two goats, full-size might be feasible.
    I have searched the net for suggestions on the most gentle, friendly goats, but it seems breeders of any breed will say that theirs are the best, so I haven't narrowed it down too much.
    The breeds I have considered so far are: Pygoras, Nigerians, or Nubians, but I am open to any suggestions.
    I am planning to get either two does or two wethers if that helps at all.
    Any thoughts? Thanks!
    Christy

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I started my herd with a Nubian mom and her two babies and had my children bottle feed the babies. I milked the mom and children fed the kids. They were 5 and 6 yo. My children enjoy it very much and I have let them bottle feed for 4 years now. We even raised a calf on goats milk this Spring/summer and fall and the children watched/helped feed and butcher....and now they love having "Cowboy" for dinner. Wethers are just hay burners, does will give you milk and companionship.

A snug barn for winter is important...its been frigid here in Maine of late!

3. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

If they are strictly for pets then Pygmies are great. Butting people is a bad habit that is learned usually at a young age from people playing with them & thinking the butting is cute. If you go with larger breeds, buy 2 kids & bottle feed them. Then the goats will be bonded to you & your family.

4. Trisha-MN

Trisha-MN www.BilriteFarms.com

Also check into Kinder goats. I'm not sure if there are breeders near you but at least check them out.

5. monarchcmj

Thanks for the replies!
    The people I got my ducks from raise Nubian goats and they are expecting kids next month, I believe. They said Nubians are, by far, their favorite breed and that they are very friendly. So, it's a plus that they are close by if I decide to go the Nubian route.
    I also know people nearby who have Pygora kids available in the summer, so that's another possibility.
    I don't know of any other goat breeders in my area (Barrington, NH), so I don't know what else is available in my area, but I could always travel if it means finding the "perfect" breed :)
    Also, they will mainly be pets, but as I mentioned in a different post, I'd like to have does so I have the option of breeding and milking them if I decide to.
    Christy

6. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

There is no one perfect breed of goat. Everyone has their favorite breed, and in those herds of Nubians, Pygmys, Kinders or LaManchas to name just a small few you have the wonderful tempered does, and you have the ones who are snots. Take your children with you when you visit the farms, always ask if it is ok for your children to interact with the goats, but it will give you a very good sense of the temperment of that bloodline of the breed.

I would also look at this in a much bigger picture. Why buy livestock strictly as pets on a homestead, when they can provide your family with milk and meat also. Your kids are nearing 4H age, they don't want to show or simply have projects for the fair? And when you do take home those cute babies make sure you explain to the older children that rough housing is really cute when the babies are smaller than they are. But remind them just how large those adult does and bucks will be (why all little kids need to go in a pen full of 190 pound full grown does), and the goats will grow much faster than the older children do, it won't be as much fun when they are then knocking them down! Alot of goats get bad reputations for being mean but when you look at their lives there is usually a very good reason for this behavior.

Please do not get animals with horns have the breeder disbud the baby goats before you bring them home. Horns and children just don't mix, especially children who are not used to livestock with horns, horns are right at eye level, it's just an accident waiting to happen.

With a little bit of research into disease, into breeds, you could purchase a few nice does who later on could produce a small income so that they are self supporting, in either milk that you don't purchase anymore at the grocery store, or meat or both, to pay for their own keep, and with kids for sale each year for a small profit. Vicki

7. monarchcmj

Thanks, Vicki.
    That is a good suggestion to bring my children with me to the farm; that'll give me the best idea of what to expect.
    We are not homesteaders, that's why the goats will be pets. I would like to try getting milk form the does at some point; I always joke around with my husband that we'll be the only family in town with duck eggs and goat milk instead of cow milk and chicken eggs ;)
    As far as 4H; my kids are very interested in joining but I'm having a VERY hard time trying to get the 4H leaders in the area to call me back :( Goats would be perfect for the 4H program and there are some wonderful fairs here in the fall that the goats could be shown at :)
    I do plan to have any goats I get, disbudded; horns make me VERY nervous when it comes to my children.
    Thank you again for your input; I am going to research the breeds a bit more and then find farms to visit in the spring with my children. I'm getting excited now... is it spring yet? ;)
    Christy

8. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

You said you don't have much land. You may want to consider the noise factor. Nubians are widely known as very noisy goats. When I did a little survey, the quietest were Lamancha and Oberhasli. I find Oberhasli to be more gentle with other goats, but the Lamanchas tend to have higher butterfat milk, which is tastier. Like Vicki said, no perfect choice. :)

9. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Christy,
    I'm in NH too and you can find pretty much any breed that you could want around here:)
    Mickey

10. monarchcmj

Thanks, Laura and Mickey :)
    I had heard that Nubians are quite vocal, thanks for the suggestions on some quieter breeds. This is really helping to narrow down my search :) Thanks again!
    Christy

11. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

you know, my nubians, are that vocal, but if yo udon't have a lot of land , and you want milk, go with the mini nubians, and the y are just so cute. you will love them .

12. JoAnne in CA

JoAnne in CA Well-Known Member

After researching for two years, I will be bringing home my first pygora doelings on Saturday. I was looking for a small, gentle goat for my new little homestead. I found what I wanted (or hope to!) in the pyrgora. -- fiber, milk, hiking partner (to carry water and lunch) and possibly using the kids as therapy animals in nursing homes and with special needs kids. I have been visiting breeders in the area for the last several months and fell in love with these guys. When I first started researching, there were very few breeders, but they seem to be growing rapidly in popularity. Granted, I haven't "lived with them" yet, but I'll keep you posted! Good luck in your search for the goat that's right for you.

13. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

What about myotonics (fainters)? they are super gentle, very quiet, no butting except at feed time, they may attempt to shove somebody. Nice size- mine all run 90ish pounds, many colors. and best of all, where you put them is where they stay! I have all myotonics and bought two gentle boer does late fall, and boy am I suprised what "real goats" all do! beller, escape, run around all goofy. Just an idea, oh and the meat is supurb and very meaty little animals from the muscles always being used and "built up" from the stiffening.

14. Diana/KY

Diana/KY Well-Known Member

I agree about the Fainters. My sister has them and they are extremely gentle. I have a Buck that is 1/2 Fainter and 1/2 pygmy. He is very sweet and gentle to both humans and other goats. I've never seen him butt anything at all. Good luck in your search.

15. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Mini-Lamanchas are also gaining in popularity. Mine are very quiet, almost as quiet as my mini-Oberhasli, but the Mini-Obers are really quite hard to find at this point.

16. bergere

bergere Just living Life

We had Obers a long while ago. Really liked them a lot and they were very good with my then very young son.
    Now if they only came in a smaller size. :D

17. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

What about milk? Are myotonics decent milkers or should another breed be considered?

18. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

If you're looking at the fiber goats, cashmeres are very sweet. They like to let themselves out for walks every once in awhile, but they come right back to you for attention and a snack.

They're a bit smaller than the dairy breeds, so they're easy to handle. They also tend to be quiet - just bleating to themselves, no incessant yelling unless there really is a problem.