What breed of goat?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Kstornado11, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Kstornado11

Kstornado11 Well-Known Member Supporter

Anyone know any good websites to learn about goats? The kids & I are really hoping to get a couple of kids in the spring. We are mainly getting them for pets & maybe milk. I am not really fond of the kind w/out ears, but not really sure what breed to go with. Our youngest is almost 4, so it would have to be a pretty docile breed. Any help would be appriciated!

2. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Get to know some goat people. Go to goat shows and talk to breeders and owners. Call your local extention agent and find some knowledgable 4H kids and leaders. Your county may even be planning a goat learning day before spring.

It just so happens that "those goats without ears" are the most docile of standard breeds, are great family milkers, are smaller than some of the other standard breeds, and make good pets. They're called Lamanchas.

There, you already learned about something. :)

3. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Well-Known Member Supporter

We met some Lamanchas at the fair this fall, as well as the other goats there.. They were by far the friendliest and are on my short list if I ever go get goats! I prefer ears, but I'd take personality over looks any day. My suggestion is to meet some goats and see which ones you take a fancy to and be sure the breed is one that has the function you want (milk or meat).

4. copperpennykids

copperpennykids Well-Known Member Supporter

This is my chance to make a plug for Saanens before all the Nubian nuts get on here and tell you that they are the only breed! I'm really just kidding...all goats are beautiful and it is a matter of personal preference.
    Generally, (and this depends on the line and the breeder), Saanens give the most milk are the largest and also very affectionate, yet docile--referred to as the "gentle giants". Their milk is also uniformly tasty (at least ours is).
    Nubians have the highest butterfat and some of them are very noisy and needy. Nubian lovers are addicted to them.
    LaManchas (the ones with tiny ears) have lots of personality (a LaMancha breeder I know says that the kids are very entertaining and very naughty) and are known to have a strong will to milk and are very hardy.
    Alpines are beautiful and considered temperamental. Some breeders have incredible milkers, but they are generally in the middle ground for milk.
    I can't "generalize" on Toggenburgs except that they are very pretty with distinct markings and have great feet and legs.
    The most important thing to do is to find a good breeder near you that has a healthy herd. No CAE NO CL!! You will want to ask them about worming schedules, feeds, breeding advice, minerals, etc. You want animals that are Healthy--they have fewer health problems and will grow to their full potential. Buying animals from a breeder that shows their animals usually gets you a chance at great genetics at a reasonable price as they will sell does that won't make their show string, but otherwise are great animals.
    Good Luck, and Enjoy!

5. Kstornado11

Well, my daughter is in 4H, she can ask around at the meeting on Monday! We had a baby Pygmy goat this summer, but the dang dogs (that are no longer here :flame: ) killed her and several OTHER of our livestock(chickens,turkeys,ducks). She was the sweetest thing. :Bawling: Hmmm....that is interestng about the Lamanchas... but the whole family really prefers goats w/ ears, guess it's just a matter of personal preference.

6. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

It might be best to start with a healthy cross breed. Since you are going to want to drink the milk you'll want them blood tested. You do not want any goats with CAE, Brucellosis, Johne's, or CL (Caseous Lymphadenitis)
    you need to find a friendly goat also that's used to children. I started out with a cantankerous Nubian, that head butted every kid near her, so she went down the road. If you make sure to start out with healthy stock, thats the major part of the battle, then there is a learning curve with goats. Most first time goat owners have kid deaths, adult deaths, due to parasites or other feeding related illness'es.. Which is why I suggest a cross breed they are much cheaper. After you put in your "Goat time." You may have picked out a breed that stands out to you as the perfect goat for your family, when the time comes Buy the best quality of that breed you can afford. Then the kids will be worth more money, because it takes as much time taking care of $30 dollar kids, as $400 dollar kids! This is a pretty good forum to learn right here. maybe let us know what state you are in and we can help you with a place to start.

I know I love my Saanens around my children, but many can't stand the plain white color, also they are rarer to find. Theyre are tame Nubians around we have those also and mine are raised around children. La Mancha's the earless ones are some of the sweetest and best family goats there are!
    Sherrie

7. Kstornado11

OOps I was posting the same time as you!! Thanks! What is "NO CAE NO CL" ?
    There is a man up the road who has a large herd of goats, just beautiful!! I'm always tempted to stop there & ask about them. I wanted to do some studying up on them over the winter, to see if we want to get another Pygmy, or another breed, before spring comes . I didn't want to buy the first cute kid I see on impulse. We have a Great Pyr who is great w/ the poultry, I sure hope he will adapt well to goats.... :shrug:

8. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

9. Kstornado11

No actually I hadn't seen that one yet!!! Thanks! I've wanted goats ever since I was a kid, and the neighbor had a sweet gal named Sally malone... i wouuld spend HOURS w/ that goat! Sure can't wait for spring!
    Oh, and SherrieC, I am in east central Kansas, less than an hour from the MO border.

10. delphinium

delphinium Well-Known Member

Don't forget Nigerian Dwarf goats!! They are wonderful, too.

11. Kstornado11

I was just looking st those on a website from another post. They are adorable! ... you know, I wonder if that may be what the farmer up the road has, they look very simular, they are small, but not as stocky as the Pygmys are. I HAVE to stop & talk to him sometime...hopefully he won't think I'm a nut!! Everytime we drive by, the kids holler and we HAVE to slow down to look at the goats!! :p

12. nursefarmer

nursefarmer nursefarmer

You hope he won't think you are "nuts" ? Well,learn this today...all of us "goat people" are a little 'nuts'!!!!!! You'll see,after awhile,you will catch yourself asking your goats questions,having full fledged conversations with them,Talking to them by bleeting/snorting,and after you put in a 12 hour work day,spent your last bit of cash on their hay and grain and dewormer and minerals and vitamins and hoof trimming tools and ect...one will jump into your full wheelbarrow,tipping it over,when you have to be somewhere in 20 minutes,which reminds you,you have to do extra loads of laundry because your clothes are now impregnated with buck odor !!! yeah,goat people are all a little nuts! but I wouldn't have it any other way :eek:)

13. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

If they are Nigerians, they are a nice little Milk goat, so you get cute, small, & milk. Pygmy's won't give you milk they are a meat breed. well you could milk them I guess. :shrug: If you get babies in the spring remember to teach them to lead. Check out a 4-h goat class sometime with all the kids Dragging their screaming chocking goats. Lol! To avoid that a little practice goes a long way.

14. toomb68

toomb68 Well-Known Member