what breed of goat to start with

Discussion in 'Goats' started by travis91, Sep 21, 2005.

1. travis91

travis91 Formerly 4animals.

im going to get get goats soon in southern alabama should i get large diary goats or a dwarf breed(like a nigerian or pygmy)? what are the advantages disadvatages i would like any info thanks

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

what do you want? you could always get a crossbreed, best of both worlds.

3. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I am just starting out myself but I have done a lot of research. I now have 2 adorable Alpine doelings and a really beautiful Nubian doeling. Next week I am looking at 2 Nigerian Dwarf doelings. The drawback to the Dwarf breeds is that obviously you get significantly less milk from them. Also, they are harder to milk as their teats are tiny. But they cost less to feed, ;-) are easier to handle, AND I have heard that because their milk is significantly higher in butterfat, you can actually make a LOT more cheese from a gallon of Nigerian Dwarf goat's milk than you can with the larger breeds' milk. I think I got that from a web link on this site, or from a web search on Nigerian Dwarf goats. I plan to raise both and use the Nigerians' milk for cheese-making. I also thought of breeding the larger breed does to a Nigerian buck to get a larger animal with higher butterfat milk, but I will need to do a LOT more research on how that might work before I go ahead with it. Any input from you experienced breeders on THAT question?
    Blessings, Jillis!

4. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Hi folks,

First, please see the following thread, entitled, "How much milk from a Nigerian Dwarf Goat?" http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=98187

Breeding full-sized dairy goats to a Nigerian buck is not an experiment. It's been done for I think around 10 years on an official basis, with the Miniature Dairy Goat Association as the registering body. Their website is http://www.miniaturedairygoats.com/ .

I started with out with Nigerians, then tried Oberhasli and Lamanchas, and have settled on Mini-Manchas and Mini-Oberhasli as the animals I want to keep and milk. See my website for the advantages of minis! http://www.glimmercroft.com . Sadly, the website is a little out of date, since I finally sold my last Nigerian, my lovely, sweet herdsire Argyle, in July of this year. But I'm extremely satisfied with the Minis! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

5. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I would say that either Nubians or Nubian/Boers would be a good idea, although I have none just Boers. But that way you would get goats that would be giving milk, plus some meaty kids, or you could try Nubians and breed to a BOer buck, you'd get a lot of milk and meaty kids either way.

6. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Laura, thanks for all the great info on the Nigerians and minis! That goat with the huge udder actually looked like a "Holstein" goat, LOL!
    Blessings, Jillis!

7. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Thanks Jillis! Sally's a terrific milker. Nice rich milk too, and a lo-o-o-o-o-ng lactation! If her babies are anywhere near as nice, I'll be very happy.