What Breed is used for what?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by rkintn, Feb 12, 2004.

1. rkintn

rkintn mean people suck

I have the opportunity to acquire two lop eared bunnies. I am interested in breeding and raising bunnies but not sure if these are classified as "meat" bunnies or if they are mostly raised as pets? Anyone able to clear this up for me?

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Any bunny can be a pet, but not any bunny can be meat. There are certain breeds that have been bred to have more meat. If you're going to commit time and energy andultimately money into rasing rabbits for meat, you need to start off with a 'meat breed' like a New Zealand, Californian, large Rex or Giant Flemish.

Some Lops can be big rabbits, but may not be of the quality you are looking for. I think these ones would be nice pets, since most Lops are bred for gentle temperment and mellow nature.

3. Denise K.

Denise K. Well-Known Member

You can use any rabbits for food. Just may have anthing from "shish k bobs to big roast rabbit"!! Lops generally will not have a good meat to bone ration of the "meat breeds" They also are not as efficient in the feed to meat conversions. If you want just meat then stick with a meat breed. If you want to have an out let for any offspring your pets produce go ahead and eat them. My friends raises and shows French Lops and her culls are dinner. Works for her. I prefer to raise and show my New Zealands and Californains, and sell their fryers! (Better money for the meat breed fryers)
    Denise