Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you! here's my other goat that is supposed to be her daughter. Could she be all La Mancha too even tho she has large ears? or what do you breed do you think she might be?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
If they are full grown at that size, I think the first is a mini mancha and the second a mini ober. And they may be mixed with pygmy rather than Nigerian.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The second doe is not an Oberhasli, she is an Alpine for sure. I have seen & bred many Alpines who looked just like her. They never had a drop of Oberhasli blood in them.

Patty.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Your doe definitely has LaMancha in her. She could be pure LaMancha, but the earlessness trait is pretty dominant so it's unlikely she's pure if her daughter has ears. So, I would say that Mom is Lamancha/Alpine and baby is about 75% alpine and 25% LaMancha - I think her sire was Alpine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did a little research on La Mancha and learned that there are two ear types... elf (2" ear) or gopher (1" ear). So mine would has elf ears. It also said that if you breed two elf ears, it is possible to get a regular erect ear kid--is that true?? That is supposed to be why only gopher ear males are allowed to breed. Oh and it said La Manchas don't have horns.

Both of my does are about 24" tall... I really don't know how much they weigh, but I'll guess somewhere between 60 - 75 lbs. They're taller than pygmys I've seen, but shorter than the breed standard for La Mancha, Alpine, etc... so I guess my goats are probably mutts, but of the dairy-type.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ahem... La Manchas, can and DO have horns unless an individual goat happens to be polled or has been dehorned/disbudded. Unless things have changed in the last couple years, there are no specifically polled breeds of goats. ;) I think momma is a Mini Mancha or Mini Mancha cross, and the daughter, if she's the same size as momma, is probably half Mini Alpine or half Mini Ober. That would be likely if the original breeder had a variety of minis, but she could also be half standard Alpine or Ober IMO. Always hard to tell, but I think those options are most likely. They both sure are cuties.

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,877 Posts
pure lamancha regardless of type of ear, will produced lamancha eard kids if bred to non lamancha eard goats, now if you breed these kids to eachother or two another non lamancha goat, you will get some of each,

and yes Lamanchas have horns,

both of these goats look like mini crosses but its hard to tell as there is nothing in the picture to really get a good idea as to how big they are for comparison, the mom is a lamancha mix of some sort and was bred to something that COULD be in the Alpine family or it could have been just about anything as goat colors are not always exact indicators.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I agree -- mama's height makes me fairly sure she is a mini. If she is a great milker, then maybe she was crossed with a ND and if she is meatier, then maybe a pygmy. But they sure are pretty s and the markings on your baby can be ND markings as well.

·
Registered
499 Posts
If I post pictures of two goats I just bought; could you guys help me with what sort of breed they are? I was told they were called Brier goats; when I looked that up it says they are also called Spanish Meat Goats.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
If I post pictures of two goats I just bought; could you guys help me with what sort of breed they are? I was told they were called Brier goats; when I looked that up it says they are also called Spanish Meat Goats.
Go ahead and post the pictures -- but are you sure you weren't told Boer goats? I've never heard of any goats called Brier goats, although some goats are called brush goats. I suppose that Spanish Meat goats might fall into the brush goat category. Boer goats should be very chunky looking, and usually are white with a red or black head. Some are solid black or red, or paint colored.

Kathleen

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
She looks like a lamancha cross. My half lamancha doe had two long eared kids last spring when bred to a nubian. If she's that small, maybe a lamancha/nigerian dwarf?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts