What breed is best for milk?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by countrymommy134, May 3, 2005.

1. countrymommy134

countrymommy134 Member

We are seriously considering getting a goat for helping with the lawn as well as for milk (yes, for us).

I've tasted milk which is a combo of Nubian and Lamancha, so I don't know what either of them tastes like seperate.

What is the best breed for goat's milk for human consumption. We would be drinking raw.

Thanks!

2. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I raise Nubians, and mini nubians, and I love their milk. it is the very best, as far as I am concerned. However, my firend has lamancha's, and thinks their milk is the best.
    now, your goats, will not mow your lawn. they are browsers, like deer, they eat a bite here and there, so if it is your lawn , you want to keep down, get sheep. they mow the lawn, and will keep it down.

3. countrymommy134

countrymommy134 Member

Can you mix goats and sheep? We really want both!

What about Nigerian Dwarf?

4. Snomama

Snomama Well-Known Member

We mix our sheep and goats, we did have to weed out a few *bossy* goats though. From our two year experience, we ALWAYS put the babies in together once we take them from their mommas, and they are all doing FANTASTIC! So, maybe you could get young sheep and goats?

We have Nubians and like their milk. Just had babies and looking forward to milking again!

Melissa

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I vote for Nubians too!

Crosses are cheaper and work well too....then use a full Nubian buck for breeding.

I like full sized goats for milking...bigger teats!

6. countrymommy134

countrymommy134 Member

We bought some milk from a lady that had her bucks and does mixed together. The milk was wonderful when I had it at her house, but then when we got it home it started tasting "goaty" and then worse the 2nd day. I cranked up the fridge so that it was REALLY cold in there. In fact, it wilted all my green veggies.

Also, she had a grade Nubian for sale with a kid doe. She was asking $150 for the Nanny and $50 more for the kid. The kid was registerable. Is this a good price? What is a grade Nubian?

7. Eunice

Eunice Well-Known Member

I vote for Alpines (sometimes just to be ornery). As a child, my family had Saanens, then a Nubian and finally a Toggenberg. I don't want a buck around, so I need to have a breed that I can borrow or just get breeding service for my does. My daughter wanted a kid a few years back. We just went and bought Alpine twin does, because that was all there was in the county I lived in then. Now we just love them and where we live now, there is another Alpine breeder within 15 miles. We are also milking a registered Saanen doe that was given to my daughter. My neighbors have Nubians and they have no complaints. So much of the milk flavor is what the goat eats and have clean the milk is, and how fast it is chilled. Pine trees are a really bad flavor. It is just what works for you

8. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I'd recommend a visit to the American Dairy Goat Association website.

http://adga.org/index.shtml

You can find out the difference between breeds, purebred and grade animals, attributes of different breeds, etc. Careful, you'll be a member before too long!

Meg

9. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

What breed is best depends on what you want?

Saanens produce the largest amount of milk, and are the largest breed. They come in white only. I have found these to be the most docile, smartest of the dairy breeds in my expierences. This will be my first year drinking Saanen milk.

Nubians have the highest butterfat of the LARGE dairy breeds. Can be any color. Can be very vocal. I enjoy Nubian milk. It is very rich. If you leave it sitting in the fridge the cream seperates to the top. The cream is very yummy in coffee.

Nigerians have the highest butterfat of all dairy breeds. However, they are a small breed. They produce less milk. Personally, I wouldnt want to milk a Nigerian due to small teats. My hands would be cramped up. Can be any color. Some have blue eyes.

I raise Saanens and Nubians. I like them both.

A Grade goat is one that when you register it you dont know who the parents are or the parents are unregistered. I bought two Nubian does from a local 4-H family. They raise un-registered goats. However, their Nubians are very nice. I had an ADGA member look at the does and write a letter to ADGA confirming that they matched the Nubian breed standard. Also, they verified the tattoos in their ears matched the ones on the application papers. This is called Native On Apperance or NOA.

You can breed Grades up to Americans by breeding the grade does to Purebred or American bucks of the same breed. Eventually after 3-4 generations they are Americans.

http://www.fiascofarm.com/goats/breeds.htm

10. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We vote for Alpines too. Love the color variation and their beautiful heads. The Saanens are nice too but don't get white if you live in the sunny states as they are prone to skin cancer.

11. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Those prices sound fair...especially if nanny is in milk. Was the kid from same nanny and male or female?

Make sure to ask about vaccinations, Cae and feel for lumps (cl).

I thought grade had to have one registered parent??? Thats how I sell mine by using a registered buck.

As far as the milk goes...the fresher the better...I feed day old milk to other livestock or freeze for next years kids.

Look up milk handling on this forum for an idea how to best handle it.

12. countrymommy134

countrymommy134 Member

Yes, the kid was a doe from her. I'll check for the other things.

Thank you!

13. billooo2

billooo2 Well-Known Member Supporter

I vote for Alpines also.....good quantity of milk, and a variety of colors.

You should get at least 2.....they are very social, and do not do well alone.

About the milk tasting "goaty." If she had a buck in with the doe, that can affect the taste.

I have found that the milk keeps best if it is cooled as quickly as possible after the milking. I strain the milk through a milk filter as soon as I finish milking the doe. Then I set the jar/conainer in a plastic wash basin, and add some ice. (I actually keep a 1/2 gallon milk jug, filled with water, in the freezer. Then I pull it out when I need it to cool some milk, and then just put it bck in the freezer when the milk is cooled.) For me, this has been the fastest way to cool it. I also leave the lid off while it is cooling. The quicker it is cooled, the better the taste, and the quality seems to last longer in the refrigerator