What Breed do ya'll think?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by effboergoats, Dec 9, 2006.

1. effboergoats

effboergoats Well-Known Member

Ok so about 3 years ago a friend gave me this beautiful black and white doe to keep his dad from killing her. My friend knew nothing of her past history: Age, where she came from ,anything. So I brought her home and she has lived a very easy life here on the farm being spoiled by everybody. My friend said that he knew his dad had her for at least 2 years and she wasn't very old when he got her. I have had her for 3 years so I know she is at least 5. When I first got her I did a little research as to what breed of goat she is. The best I can tell she is a British Alpine. I know that the British Alpine breed was imported into this country in the 1950's ( I think, can't remember now for sure) but that is all I can find. I was not able to locate any american breeders. :shrug: What do ya'll think?? I did a yahoo image search and she looks just like the British Alpines. Any way here she is, Meet Pepper....

[​IMG]

2. mare

mare Well-Known Member Supporter

looks like a lamancha with ears?????????? dont have a clue

3. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

Those leg bones look very short, like a pygmy, and she's round like a barrel. She's a cute little thing :) .

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Your right, the coloring is right for Alpine, but the body type is a bit short and stocky. Maybe an Alpine/mini cross??

5. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

[​IMG]

This is one of my mini does. She looks similar to your doe in shape. (My miniatures are mostly pygmy, but the mother of this doe seems to have some nigerian dwarf in her somewhere, hence this sundgau color. But the pygmy throws in the agouti pattern too...) Anywho, I"d say your doe is either an alpine/pygmy mix, or an alpine/nigerian mix. Regular alpines, not just british alpines, come in the sundgau color. British alpines aren't registered as a separate breed in the US, just as regular alpines. The color she shows is called sundgau, if she has the white 'triangle' on her behind. She's a pretty doe, congrats on her.

6. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

effboergoats
    Your gal looks the same color of my Herd Queen Buffy which she is lamacha.

I'm guessing pgymy/lamacha or Alpine/pgymy.

I'm no good at these cross breeds much.

But good luck with your goat. :)

7. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

nigerian alpine. I have lamancha crosses in all types and I always get bent ears. Too correct to have pygmy in it.

8. effboergoats

Thanks everyone.!! That is not all that good of a picture to show you her real size. She was coming down the hill when I took that picture. She really is a big goat.I'll try to get a picture of her with my pygmy and then one with my boer buck to compare.

9. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

If her legs are really longer than the picture shows, I'd have to say Alpine.

10. Carrie C

Carrie C Well-Known Member

With the pattern, I'd have to say she probably had some toggenburg in her.
    ~Carrie C.

11. ozark_jewels

Actually that pattern is very common in Alpines. Its called sundgau(not sure about the spelling). I have a pure Alpine yearling with that exact pattern.

12. effboergoats

Do you have a picture? :)

13. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

14. ozark_jewels

No...but I can try to get one in the morning.=)

15. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

looks alpine but the ears are a bit short? or is that the angle of the picture?

16. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Looks Alpine/Nigerian to me. How tall is she at the shoulder? That will let you know something about whether or not she is a mini.

The legs look short.

The lack of ear or elf ear is a very dominant trait, so any cross with a LaMancha will have a very small ear.

The Sundgau pattern is VERY common to Alpines. I have a few very beautiful Sundgau Alpines.

Have you ever bred her? I bet she would give you some delicious milk to make up for all the "spoiling" you have lavished on her!

17. effboergoats

I'm on my way down to the farm now to worm my boer buck so I'll measure her. I did that once when I built my milk stand but I can't find it in my notes.

No she has never had a baby. My Boer Buck breed her on Oct. 9 ....so I hope in march for a baby..and some good milk. :dance:

18. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

I heard this also from the breeder who sold me my buck . . . the LaMancha ear will take the big floppy ears right off of a Nubian or Boer, at least the first couple of generations. And the LaMancha is a relatively new breed type. Interesting how a fairly new trait can become dominant.

19. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

well that wasn't the case with the breeder who's buck I used. The ears came right back in the kids.

20. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

With LaManchas? I have kids who are 50% Saanen, from a pure grade LaMancha mom, and one has giant Saanen ears, the rest elf ears. I thought I'd been "had", that mom wasn't pure bred, but then it was explained to me that since the LaMancha is a "created" breed, the genetics can be unstable and a pure mom can have an airplane eared kid.

Sheesh I'd love to find a good resource on livestock genetics.