Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been given a rabbit and was wondering if someone could tell me what breed she might be?

Here is a link to see a picture of her. http://swinsonfamilylife.blogspot.com/

She isn't as big as a Californian. She was a pet, and might just be a mixed mutt. I really am not sure if it is a "she" even. My husband looked, but didn't look close if you know what I mean?

·
Registered
61 Posts
More than likely, a lop mix. "She" appears to have the slightly more belled ears, and width of the crown area of head. Also the short wide muzzle. I would think a meat type lop cross. Perhaps a Holland Lop x New Zealand, or a over sized Mini Lop cross. There is always the possibility that it is a large ML, but much too tight in the crown to bring the ears down.

Double check gender, with a mug like that, it could be a buck!

Kelly :)

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,877 Posts
looks like a lop mix to me too, probably a Holland meat mix and yes i would double check the gender,

·
Registered
713 Posts
S/he is very cute! I love the spots. All rabbit tastes the same, so yes breeding her to any buck would produce good meat. The thing is that some breeds grow a lot faster than other breeds, get bigger, have better feed conversion, etc. But the meat will basically taste the same. If you could cross her to a large/medium sized rabbit such as a new zealand white, californian, satin, or rex, for example, the offspring would probably be better for meat. Good luck!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
S/he is very cute! I love the spots. All rabbit tastes the same, so yes breeding her to any buck would produce good meat. The thing is that some breeds grow a lot faster than other breeds, get bigger, have better feed conversion, etc. But the meat will basically taste the same. If you could cross her to a large/medium sized rabbit such as a new zealand white, californian, satin, or rex, for example, the offspring would probably be better for meat. Good luck!
Thanks for the information. I used to raise rabbits like 30 years ago. We had 60 breeding does, but were a bit picky about what we called a meat rabbit.

I guess what I meant was would it be okay to breed her to a bigger rabbit? Should be since they have such tiny babies anyway right? It is amazing what you can forget with time! LOL

As soon as it quits pouring down rain, hubby and I will go and wrestle the little thing around and see if we can tell what it is for sure.

We have a friend who has rabbits that said we could bring her over to his buck. Can't do that until we are certain what we have.

Thanks again for the help. I think she is cute too with the little spots. : )

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
I do not suggest breeding her to a buck that is much larger than herself. It could lead to birth complications, since the kits will be larger than she would have if bred to a rabbit of her own type. This goes double if she chances to have a small litter where individual kits may be a lot bigger than one would expect and, IMO, it goes triple for a first-timer.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do not suggest breeding her to a buck that is much larger than herself. It could lead to birth complications, since the kits will be larger than she would have if bred to a rabbit of her own type. This goes double if she chances to have a small litter where individual kits may be a lot bigger than one would expect and, IMO, it goes triple for a first-timer.
I will make sure to pick out a buck that is close to her size. You are right about that especially with this being her first litter. See what I meant about how much you can forget in 30 years???? LOL

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Do you know how old she is? If she is older and never been bred, she may not have very many babies and may have complications- especially if she is overweight. It would not hurt to try, but with an older doe (and please make sure she is a doe before placing her in with a known buck), I would not bank on it. I have gotten several free pet does over the last year...only one out of 4 produced, and had babies that survived. I try them once after I get them into a good weight and if they don't produce, send them on as a pet for the amount of feed I have in her.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well after showing my husband photos of how to sex a rabbit online, we have renamed Toffee, Frank. Yep, won't have to worry about babies of any kind now!

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions from everyone. I do appreciate it.

I guess now we will get a female and see if Frank is going to be a working animal here on the farm. :) Or if he is going to move on to a family who just wants a pet.

Edited to add, I think he is 7 months old.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts