What book would be a good resource?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dap, Nov 10, 2006.

1. dap

dap lilsparrow

I am new in this goating world, and would like to know what you veterans' turn to as a good resource? Who are the favorite authors? I have Nigerian Dwarves, if that makes any difference. Thanks! :)

2. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Raising Goats the Modern Way by Jerry Belanger. However, new goat owners find this: They read 10 books and the problems they have with their idividual goats are never in the books! Here's a great website: http://fiascofarm.com/goats/

Your best resource would be to make friends with a local goat owner with lots of experience. Then expect to disagree with that person about management while you sort of "find your way" with your own goats. Experience is the best teacher with goats, that and a good vet (or a message board you can trust).

3. dap

dap lilsparrow

Thanks! I have already found Fiasco Farm, and yes, it has helped tremendously so far! And finding a goat farmer in my area is also on my list. I have started cruising the side roads 'round here ( I am new to the area, besides being new to goats :rolleyes: ) and just have to get my nerve up to stop in. I can't call, since I have no idea what the name is that goes with the couple of farms I have found. Any ideas? Folks around here do not tend to be registered or are raising meat goats while mine are dairy... :shrug:

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

go to ADGA.org look up a local goat club in your area. Join and get the newletter, go to a local meeting. You don't have to be a member of ADGA or own dairy goats to join clubs like this. We have boer goat folks, pygmy folks and dairy goat owners of pet and breeders in ours, even retired out of goat folks who still come and visit.

Go to the library or to half.com make sure you are getting books mentioned on here on the cheap, because what you will find is that there is only a sentence here or a sentence there that is even anything you learn, let alone go back to the book for later on.

My customers start 3 ring binders. When you read something on here you want to remember print it out...visit fiascofarm.com like mentioned above, her management is very different than mine, copy off stuff from that site. Nubain Talk on groupsyahoo.com has archives worth their weight in gold. dairygoatinfo.com is us dairy type gals :) Our goatkeeping101 section has articles that every goat person should have printed out for reference, especially Sue Reith's articles, also the old saanendoah.com sit'es med reference section...giving you dosages, what a drug is what it does and what it won't do for you...it also gives you warnings...always double check any med a vet perscribes you against this list!!!

The internet gives you alot of information, it's just tough without a mentor to descern between the good and the bad.

Once your feet are wet, or if you have any background in the medical field...or some college biology/science (not being uppity) Goat Medicine is a must...with a new one in the works. Vicki

5. dap

dap lilsparrow

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, there are no clubs in my state. :Bawling: I guess I better just get over it and start knocking on some goat farm doors and see if I can find one willing to share info with me, and plan on the trial and error method. :shrug: Oh, and who is the author of Goat Medicine? I have the medical background.

6. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

I loved "Dairy Goats For Pleasure & Profit" by Harvey Considine. It just came back into print. I think Caprine Supply carries it.

The author literally wrote the book on dairy goat judging and ran a huge commercial herd for years and years. He covers all topics including a chapter on cart goats. But beside the great info, I loved the author's tone- his enthusiasm & love of goats comes through clearly.

7. dap

dap lilsparrow

Thanks for everyone's input, I now have my list ready and will head off to the library to see what I can dig up. That was the original plan, to get the list, check it out at the library and then purchase my preferences from Half.com. I have come in contact with a nice guy here on HT that is fairly close that has some ADGA knowledge, so I am looking forward to picking his brain whenever we can arrange a meeting. :happy: I sure am glad I discovered this site, because you guys have really got me turned in the right direction I think. I have learned so many new resources on the web that I was completely ignorant to a month ago, so keep up all the wonderful posts :bow: and the great questions from all the newbies! :clap:

8. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

Storeys Guide to Raising Goats, another one by Jerry Belanger.

9. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

The Goatkeeper veterinary guide

Pygmy goats, management and veterinary care (great for ND too, and any goat since most of it is universal. I would know since I had Oberhaslies too)