Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Critterlover
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hypothetically, your animals are in your pasture and "someone" happens by, be it a neighbor, someone on their way to work, whatever. They happen to look over at your beautiful place and notice that one of your animals has_____________. (gun shot wound, bite mark, broken leg, obvious injury) You aren't apparently home or your house is too far from the road to be sure. This same "someone" jumps the fence or opens the gate and renders aid to the animal, up to and possibly including placing it in your barn. There are no signs that "someone" was there, no note or anything, but "someone" obviously was because ____________(gate is latched differently, things aren't where you know you left them, animal is in a pen they otherwise couldn't get in to on their own, etc). Animal appears fine, other than injury, but they are safe and sound.

Are you grateful or perturbed?

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Grateful!

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
I would be grateful but, it would make me wonder if the person who helped my injured animal wasn't the one who caused the injury and felt guilty and that is why no note just the help needed given... But atleast your animal is cared for, you are fine and your property is intact.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I think I'd be grateful, too - and I would bet someone who cared enough to do that would probably stop by to tell you about it or would drop a note at a later time when they had paper/pen/time.

...but that's just a guess.

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
My neck of the woods is like that. If somebody's something gets out or hurt, then we take care of it. Either somebody picks up the phone and calls to tell someone, or somebody will take it upon themselves to haul an animal to the vet even at their expense. For instance, I have a number of times put my neighbors horse herd back in their pasture when i see them running down the road with tails held high. Another nieighbor took our bull to the vet when the bull showed up in their pasture with an injury. If no one is home it doesn't matter, somebody will do something if there is an emergncy along our road. We all respect each others privacy but if there is an animal emergency, we know we can count on the others to help. Putting a cow back in, or calling them if you can't get them in yourself. It's like walking past litter on the ground. You bend over and pick it up and don't have to be told to do it. Same principle. You take care of your neighbors and they take care of you.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,884 Posts
Grateful. You'll hear sooner or later who helped out. :angel:

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
I think I'd be grateful. It's the theory our 4H club leader works on. Just before the fair, he told the members of the club if they saw someone else's steer or heifer that looked bloated and the owners weren't around, to get a halter and go walk it. If the animal was caught in a rope, or in danger in some other manner, take care of it. Find the owner later, or send someone to look for them, but consider the animal first. They had bloat meds available, and if necessary to save the critter, they would use them, owner or no owner. Chancy, but that's his method. Jan in Co

·
Registered
140 Posts
Grateful!

That is how all the neighbor/fellow ranchers are around us. We help eachother out with all things. Whether it be a downed place in the fence, open gate, crippled cow, lost calf, cow in another neighbor's pasture that was spotted, ect, ect. We call eachother and report, and then depending on the circumstance will either take care of it w/o report or call if a little thing, or will assist or just do it ourselves. That is what GREAT neighbors are! :)

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
Grateful! I'd make haste to find the person and thank them, not to mention find out how they discovered my animal hurt, what they did, what they thought, and to thank them from the bottom of my heart.

·
HillHippie
383 Posts
well, i hope my "neighbor" is grateful! just the other night i was on my way home from work a couple miles before home there was a calf poking half way out of the fence... stuck there. he had pushed a hole through the page wire but got tangled in the barbed wire on the other side.
it was about midnight so i didn't want to wake anyone. so DH and i untangled the calf (no major injury) and patched the fence. no note to farmer afterwards... just happy to have come through at just the right time to help out.
if anyone even noticed... i hope they would be grateful!

·
Registered
641 Posts
The Bible mentions somewhere that the deeds God gives credit to us for are the ones we didn't seek recognition for b/c if we receive recognition from people, we have already received our reward. (OK, so that isn't word for word, LOL....you probably know which one I am referring to). I always thought that was difficult too. I always want a person to know when I did something nice for them....you know....give me credit and appreciation....isn't that just how we are wired (or maybe it's just me...LOL)?? Anyway, my thought was that maybe your neighbor is a christian. I'd be grateful.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Absolutely grateful. I would like to know who did it, so I could bring them from freshly baked cookies or bread. I mean they deserve something for their good work.
Alice in Virginia

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I think leaving a note depends on whether or not the animal needs more help than I could give them. If I do emergency treatment, or get them untangled, but they are limping and/or need further care, I'd try to find the owner or leave a note to make sure the animal is looked after asap. If the animal is not critical or in pain, I'd do what needed to be done and not bother with a note.

I'd be grateful to anyone who would do the same for me.

I recently had a surprise at my gate. Two partially empty 40lb bags of dog food. One had a stainless steel bowl in the bag. No note attached. I freaked out. I assumed one of my neighbor's had lost their dog, and knowing I had three mouths to feed, wanted me to use the left over food. I had to check around because I was so torn up at the thought of one of my neighbor's losing a dog, I wanted to know who it was and offer them condolences, and thanks for the food. I wish they would have left a note, but I was still grateful, not perturbed.

It turned out there was no death...they just had an older dog having problems with the food and they had to switch him to something he could digest better. They didn't know they left his food bowl in the bag. I was so relieved to find out who it was and that sweet Bubba was still around.

I just gave them a free carton of eggs and they will be getting more. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts