what are your home remedies

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by vegascowgirl, Oct 14, 2004.

1. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

Hello All,
    I've always been interested in home remedies. Not necessarily because I want to skip a trip to the doctor, but because I know there are times when a trip to the doc isn't always feesable (little money, weather, etc.). Also because it is kind of fun to find out where the remedies came from...such as a family remedy handed down for ages, something that someone just stumbled on, and so forth.

so what are the home remedies that you swear by? How did you learn about them?
    What home remedies have you heard of that just sound crazy by todays standards?

My Father (now 70) swears by putting axle grease in cuts. keeps it from getting infected and helps the cut heal. His grandfather taught his father, and his father taught him.

2. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Axle grease? Really?

My mother always put butter on burns... of course, now we know that we absolutely SHOULDN"T do that, but at the time, that's what we got. I've only got one scar from a burn -- and it would have scarred no matter what.

I make herbal teas for different reasons. Mint, honey and lemon juice for colds, I make cough meds from horehound and red clover, chamomile and fennel tea for sleeplessness. I can't think of any others off the top of my head -- although I go to my herbalist books when we're sick before we go to the doctor.

Tracy

3. vonettrich

vonettrich Well-Known Member

My great-grandmother, who was born in a sod house in Nebraska, swore by Lysol as a way to treat infections. That's Lysol, the cleaning solution, sold in the concentrated form. It usually comes in a small brown bottle. She would dilute Lysol with hot water and soak the infected body part. Last week my son had an infected toe and I soaked his foot in the Lysol/water solution for two days. The infection cleared up without any trouble. When I told my doctor I was using Lysol, he was a little startled. However, if I remember correctly, Lysol was named for a Dr. Lister who discovered the connection between unsanitary conditions and post-operative deaths in hospitals. He began using a carbolic acid solution (like Lysol) and the infection rate dropped significantly. Oh, and Listerine was named after Dr. Lister.

4. Cheri in NY

Cheri in NY Well-Known Member

Listerine to treat an oily scalp or dandruff. Bleach diluted with water to wash away the oils after being exposed to poison ivy and oak. EDo it a few times a day for a couple days...really works. Of course there the old standby of vaseline for chapped lips, cheeks and hands in the winter. And wear cotton socks or mittens over the vaseline on your hands to bed. Brush your teeth with straight baking to get rid of tea stains and bad breath caused by onions and other strong foods. I'll keep thinking... :D

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I make pine salve for skin problems. It will knock out impetigo and any infection really fast. Works well on eczema. Clears up yeast. Heals cat fight sores on my boys.

I started making it after seeing what it did for my friend's husband when he had a really bad cut while cleaning up someone's yard and an old toilet broke and gashed his arm.

I use uva ursi for kidney and bladder infectios. Works as well as, if not better than, Rx antibiotics. And if there are any side effects, I haven't found them.

Dandelion for diuretics.

Ginger for upset stomach. Cayenne for diarhea. Charcoal for any stomach ailment that might have a viral or bacterial origin.

Ginger, cayenne and tumeric are good for arthritis.

Parsley tea for blood purifier and to bring down high blood pressure.

Nettle tea is a good blood purifier and tonic.

Yerba Mate is something I just started using. It is a stimulent and broncho dialater (I have asthma), and is very high in antioxidents and vitamins as well as having amino acids and is an immune system booster.

Mint tea to settle slight indigestion and clear mucous.

These are just the things I use frequently.

6. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

mullein tea for congestions and cough
    cayenne for high blood pressure
    echinacea for colds
    goldenseal for infections
    valerian for the nerves/sleep problems
    charcoal for stomach viruses
    baking soda for stomach problems
    psyllium husk for constipation
    arnica for bruises
    alfalfa to build iron
    vinegar on burns...they never blister

some of these are passed down but many of them I learned from my midwife friend.

7. romancemelisa

romancemelisa Well-Known Member

my grandmother always made us tie our throats up if they were sore, with a hankerchief, and my mother makes us garrgle with salt water

8. romancemelisa

romancemelisa Well-Known Member

oh! another one during my first pregnancy, i aqured asthma, my grandmother would make me eat raw spoonfuls of coffee grounds, YUCK!

9. carole in ky

carole in ky Member

My mother swore that peroxide would cure anything. On wounds, of course, gargle (diluted with water) for anything mouth or throat ailment. In the ear for ear ache.

10. desnri

desnri Well-Known Member

I use Lavender essential oil for a lot of things. Rub it on my temples for a headache, sprinkle it on the bed for a good night sleep. It even repels ants. I use vinegar for ant bites. It keeps it from festering and makes the itch stop.

11. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

Hope this post isn't TMI!
    Yeast infections are very common in women. The basics of wiping front to back:), cotton underwear, no douching, and avoiding a diet high in sugars will go a long way. For stubborn cases vinegar 1 cup to a tub, or salt bath 1 cup to a tub can relieve itching. OTC monistat cream works well.For morning sickness, I give women peppermint or ginger tea. Vitamin B6 25mg. 3 times a day works very well. Some ladies prefer ginger capsules 250mg 4 times a day.
    Every fall I work on immune building herbs i.e. vitamin C, echinacea tincture,
    nettle tea, along with good handwashing, rest and exercise. One of the simplest ways to avoid headaches, constipation, and dehydration is to get 8-10 glasses of water a day. So many patients tell me they only drink 1-3 cups of water a day- no wonder they have constant bladder infections.See my post on cough/cold recipe. Hope this helps.

12. Fourthistles

Fourthistles Well-Known Member

Feverfew to prevent migraines, hot toddie to help you sleep when you have a cold. My dad treated all minor wounds with terpentine (he was a house painter).

13. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

the old adage, an apple a day..

well folks, that is one of my favorites and its true..

i have some gall bladder problems and i have found that if i eat an apple, drink a glass of apple juice or take a quarter cup of apple cider vinegar every day, I dont have gall bladder problems, it also helps with bladder infections

black cohosh for pms and menopause symptoms...

st johns wort for depression..

peppermint tea to help me sleep and to get rid of headaches.. especially sinus

lemon juice on acne, helps dry it up with out drying up the rest of your face..

and water.. lots of water.. i hate it, but i drink it all day long..

Lynn in Texas

14. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

My grandfather used turpentine on cuts. Ouch!.

Ginger tea for bloat and upset tummy. From fresh ginger.
    Mint tea for queasies.
    And because they taste good.
    Flaxseed poultice for boils and other infections.
    Hot pepper tea for congestion.
    Small glass of wine for insomnia.

15. wormlady

wormlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Every morning I sip a cup of honey/vinegar tea.

4 oz. hot water
    1/2 T. honey
    1T. apple cider vinegar

I almost always feel fine, but if I feel a scratchy throat coming on or some sniffles I double up. It keeps illness at bay for me. At least it has for the past two years.

I've heard of ninety year olds who practice this as well! I'm over half way there, I'll keep you posted. :)

16. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

Cyngbaeld , and others, where would I get some of these things to try?

Health food store, online, Wal mart, let me know if this is where you find them.

How do you make Pine salve?

I remember I used to be given some king of black tar stuff that Grandpa bought at the drug store. This was given in a teaspoon filled with sugar and some drops of this black stuff was put in the sugar. It was for sore throats.[ The black stuff was liquid not tar, but that seems like what the name was.]

17. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I purchase capsules at Puritan's pride

http://www.puritan.com/

and bulk herbs at Atlantic Spice

http://www.atlanticspice.com/

For the pine salve, here is a copy/paste from a previous post of mine. My pine salve is a nice light yellow color, not black.

I take a clean 16oz plastic glass and line it with a clean white rag. It should drape over plenty because when the glass is full you need enough fabric to pull up and tie off with a string.

Then I go for a 'nature hike'. I take along a plate knife that I only use for this. I look for pinyon trees that a 'porkypine' has been at or that were damaged so that sap has run out. Look for light colored pine tar because it is usually softer and has more of the essense in it. You can use any pine and I've heard spruce works just as well. Pinyon is what I had access to.

When the cup is full gather the fabric up and tie it tightly with a piece of string or a strip torn off the fabric. Now put it in a clean glass quart jar. Pour veggie oil of your choice over it. Put it in the cupboard for a month or so and then pour the oil off into smaller jars. If you want firmer salve you can use lard or shortning. Set your glass jar into a hot water bath, add solid fat and let it melt. Add your bundle and put the lid on, not too tight. Turn the heat down to warm and keep it warm for an hour or two until it is strong enough.

For a mild salve for children and eczema or impetigo etc just dilute with more oil. For a drawing salve for boils and for the animals make it pretty strong. I use the stronger stuff for fungal infections too. Some people recommend using this internally, but I would not ever try that! EXTERNAL USE ONLY!

You can use the residue and the rest of the tar to make pine tar soap. Just hang the bundle in the fat that you are heating for soap. Get the fat hot and turn the stove to low. Keep it warm for 1/2 to 1 hrs. Then you can carefully (not to burn yourself) squeeze the warm soft tar thru the fabric. I usually hold the string in my left hand and use a long handled spoon or spatula in the right to mash the tar out into the fat. Take the bundle out of the fat and put the whole thing into a container like a sour cream or margerene tub. It makes an excellent fire starter. Add your lye mixture to the fat and contiue like for regular soap.

18. tramp

tramp Active Member

For tooth aches, my dad would pour a teaspoon of whiskey over the problem tooth, to numb it. Works great.......I suppose that's where i developed my taste for whiskey :rolleyes:

19. trtalbott

trtalbott Well-Known Member

We have an Amish home remedies book. I could swear the title should be "101 uses for vinegar." I cant' stand the smell of the stuff but it works for a lot of things.

20. stirfamily

stirfamily Well-Known Member Supporter

My mom used to tell me the story that when I was a kid I was so skinny my grandma swore I had worms and used to make me drink catnip tea.
    Mom also used to give us ginger tea to break a fever.

Karen in NE Indiana