What are your goals with your goats?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by greenacres, Feb 11, 2005.

1. greenacres

greenacres Well-Known Member

I was just wondering what everyone's goals for the year and/or long term goals with their goats are.

We are raising registered boers to sell and show and hope to plan breedings to raise wethers for the local kids to show and the stock shows and what not. We also raise a few to eat each year. I have also purchased 4 lamancha does and a buck to start raising dairy goats and again and get back into the dairy show ring. I would also like to start making soap and cheese for my family and possibly have milk to freeze and sell or raise some calves or pigs on.

So what are your plans and how are they going?

2. eggladyj

eggladyj Well-Known Member

Funny, I've been mullin' this very thought for the last couple of weeks myself. I've been raising Pygmies, well really just 2 does for the past few years had kids born (1st time, so cool!) last year and am waiting as patiently as I can for March to come with my second batch. They were bred to a N. Dwarf in hopes of increasing the milk supply/quality if I get lucky enough to get some doelings this time around. We will see.

This last May I added to my little herd, brought in 3 Nubian does, 2 were bottle babies the other was about 4 months old so really didn't need a bottle but got one anyway cause she could! LOL These girls are awesome, great big ears just lovely to look at! Can't wait to get some babies from them!

For this year, I'm planning on waiting until early summer to breed these Nubians, I'd like to have kids on the ground before it gets really wicked outside and they have some time to get some meat on their bones. I'm thinking of breeding them with a Nubian buck this time around to establish their milking abilities as I'd really like to try my hand at making some cheese for the family and maybe some soap for sale or maybe gifts???? Hum, lots to think about with that! I know my daughter is looking forward to having some goat milk as she just loved it when I was milking the Pygmies!

Then next go around I'd like to go with a Pygmy buck and start working towards my own Kinder line. Well that's one thought anyway that been rolling around!

Then there is also the thought of using a buck that I may get from my girls (the Pygmies) in March for the second go around.....Lots to think through I know!

Thanks for asking, this is the first time I've put what's been going on up-stairs down to look at.....the first real step in making a plan!

Jeannine

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

This spring I'll be getting a cashmere doe (or 2) so I can start breeding the buggers again. My previous doe died last year leaving one very lonely wether, we couldn't afford a doe right then so got another wether to keep the old wether company (I'm a complete softy, I know).

The long term plans for them are to make and (hopefully) sell scarves and shawls from their undercoat, while they keep the blackberry brambles and tree seedlings down to a dull roar. They're also the orchard clean up committee - goats do a great job eating fallen apples and leaves.

4. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

we raise Nubians. we want the best milkers, and healthy free of desease animals, that we can get.
    now we are starting a new line, these are the mini nubians, and we breed for milk increase, and breed. I want the best in both lines, and I want desease free herd. IT is that now. and we work hard at keeping them happy and healthy.

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Right now I've got registered American Alpines (2), and unregistered Nubians (3...big herd, huh?). They hate each other. The Alpines are the sweetest tempered... due to raising, not breed. I much prefer the look of the Nubians, and although they're nice girls, they aren't the bottle raised lap babies the Alpines are. Both sets are from CAE/CL tested herds.

I'll have two Nubians freshening at the end of May. The Alpines will be bred to freshen next year. Once I compare the milk, I'll decide what breed I want to keep.

Mine are just for home milkers...for milk, chesse and soap. However, if I can decide to limit to one breed, I'd like to work on improving what I've got. I don't want to keep a buck, though, so am looking into attending an AI seminar. Nobody around here does AI, so that's a niche I could maybe fill, and earn back the cost of the equipment. We'll see.

6. imabone

imabone New Member

Our goats keep the weeds, berry brambles and honeysuckle under control. We currently have Nubian cross, but I just arranged the purchase of a Boer goat buckling with a nice pedigree that I hope will improve the goats that we sell for meat. If my husband had to choose betwen his goats and me, I might have stiff competition. Our Nubian buck has never been very difficult. He just rans with the herd. I doubt that we can do that with the new fellow. We'll probable have to pen up both bucks.
    Imabone

7. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Our goat herd started out as a 4-H project (seems like a lot of herds do) about eight years ago. We had babies and there was no turning back after that.
    We have crossbred goats, but are aiming towards breeding towards Nubian and Boer at this point. We have four bucks for breeding for the coming season unless I find a home for one of the Nubians (they are so closely related that I do not want to breed them back to their counterpart's offspring); the two Nubian bucks, Bo a Boer buck, and William our half Saanen, half Boer buck.
    We have 11 Sneior does, 2 Jr. does and two doelings on the ground so far this seasons. We are half way done with kidding season. 9 bucks (one premature) and 3 does (one premature) out of six does. Six more does to kid. All these kids are 1/4 Boer. Charlie was half Boer, 1/4 Alpine, 1/4 Togg.
    The males we wether and sell at the end of the year in an attmept to recoup some of the funds spent on the goats and on ocassion we sell some as pets.
    The goats are basically weed eaters for our dairy farm, though I am exploring other avenues of income like Soap and also potentionally renting them out to do fencerows for people in this area.

8. TwoAcresAndAGoat

TwoAcresAndAGoat Well-Known Member

My goats are for home milk production. I sell or give the kids away each year.

I've done the show dog thing (both confirmation and obedience) and I have no interest in showing goats or raising them to eat. My guys and girls are producing members of the family. Of course it would be cheaper to just buy the milk :no: what was I thinking when I got into this. LOL

I just enjoy have animals arouond.

9. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

My almost-six-y-o Kinder doe is about to get dried off, as she's due to kid around the end of April (I don't have an exact date, as she was having silent heats, and I ended up putting the buck in with her for about four weeks). The end of March I hope to breed the larger of my two doe kids, as she'll be about ten months old then. Her twin, who is smaller, I won't breed until she's a year old, about the end of May. I'm hoping by doing this to have milk all winter. Once all three of these does are milking, I'll think about expanding the herd a little -- I'll need to add an unrelated buck in a year or two, and can go up to around nine milkers on the place and sell raw milk legally here. Kinders give extremely rich milk (excellent for cheese production), but not a lot, so I'm debating the milk sales aspect. Selling milk by the gallon, I'd do better with larger breed does that produced more milk, as we are limited to nine milkers on the place if we want to sell milk. But I really like the Kinders. So, we'll see. I plan to start making soap as soon as there is any milk to spare. Surplus buck kids go in the freezer, unless they are good enough to sell as bucks.

I plan to put in some feed for the goats, such as a comfrey patch near their pen, some peas and sunflowers and other stuff in the garden just for the goats. I'm also going to make (small!) pack saddles, and take the goats when we go camping or hiking. They can't carry much, but could at least pack water bottles and jackets.

Kathleen

10. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Meg, glad you like the Alpines. We have 3 does and one buck. We got a good price for him and he is from good milk lines. It is much easier to keep him than truck the girls off to be bred. He is very big and acts like a guard dog for the coyotes we have around here. We are keeping our gals for milk for personal use only. We don't make cheese yet. We want them to be happy and healthy as they are our children and pets. Carla is buying my yearling so she is also into Alpines. Bernice will probably comment too. We have the nice Alpines also.

11. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

Oldest DD, now 24, has always been our extreme animal lover. After she was grown and gone from home, she would still stop on occasion at the livestock sale barn, and on two different occasions, couldn't stop herself from bidding. So I got Marie, an Alpine, and Lacey, a Pygora as "birthday gifts" -- LOL! Then, second DD had a boyfriend who had to sell off his 4-H pygmy goats when he went into the Navy. One of them somehow got hidden here when the rest of the herd went to sale. He's finally permanently out of our lives (thank goodness! :worship: ) but Itchy the goat remains. I decided if we were going to put up with this band of thugs, they would have to do something productive, so I bought a Boer buck from friends and bred all the girls. I REALLY like the Boer cross on all the different breeds, and can't believe the muscle it puts on them. The goal was to sell a few kids to the Mexican barbecue market, but I keep finding myself saving back the does. Saved 3 does and sold 1 whether last year, and will save 2 does and sell 3 whethers this year.

Our farm was all planted to blackberries with a contract to Smuckers when we started out here 21 years ago, and we're still pulling out posts, wire and brambles to establish more pasture. (Smuckers has closed up shop in Oregon and moved on). The Goaties have been a great help in that regard, and I love the idea that finally some animal on this place is really, really accomplishing something and earning their keep!

Susan

12. keithil53

keithil53 Member

I got pygmie goats three years ago,to eat brush and poison ivy at an area around two ponds.They have done agood job.
    Keith

13. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Weed control, breeding stock and slaughter.

14. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Homestead animal....milk, meat and vigor....

My new "endeavor" is to try to be as self-supporting as possible...growing some feed like corn and mangels, learning to dehorn.

One bi-product of highest value...COMPANIONSHIP :eek: I love my girls!!

15. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

We have three acres and are in the permanent growing season as we are in florida, my husband is 64 still working full time and it was getting harder and harder to keep up on the weeds and growth.

We got two pregnant nubian crosses for weed and pepper bush maintenance and they and their children have done a remarkable job, my husband is actually trading the john deere because he feels like the bush hog and push mower can take care of the rest that the goats don't get. I feel like I have a herd of goat shaped dogs and I love every minute of it.

16. jwcinpk

jwcinpk Well-Known Member

We have 34 registered boer does and 2 100% bucks. All but about 12 are lil ones. We plan to use our goats to keep the weeds and such in check and help us clear land. So far we've kept all our females and sold or traded our boys except a couple we ate. Now we are to a point were we need to invest in another good buck or start selling our offspring. I'd like to get up to about 100 but the wife says we have enough. She does agree we need some cows though.

17. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

First off, my goal longterm or today is simply to enjoy these wonderful creatures. That's why I first got my initial two nigerians - as companions. I now have a small herd of ten in western NY and I am extremely interested in furthering the breed and trying to attain individuals as close to breed standard as possible. Kidding season is always so exciting - to see what direction your program is moving in and if you are making headway in improvement. When I've turned on others to these terrific minis I get such a kick out of it - and to see your offspring thriving in other herds - it's so rewarding!

18. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

I've always wanted a goat and hubby finally agreed (his mom had dairy goats and he always had to shovel the poop, so didn't like them much) in Jan. 04 and I got 2 fainter x's. Don't have them anymore, but now have 15 goats! we have 1 fainter buck, 4 adult fainter does (bred or w/ kids), 2 junior fainter does, 1 doeling so far I'm keeping, a new gorgeous gr/bl fainter buckling on the way, 1 boer doe (bred to fainter), 2 boer junior does, and my newest baby a 3/4 boer 1/4 nubian bottle baby, my valentines present from hubby.

Our goals are to breed, raise, and offer to the public quality breeding stock and companions. Also to offer nice meaty animals for breeding meat animals or to be used for meat themselves. I hope they all go for pets, cause those babies sure are cute! only have 4 kids so far, and already have one little boy I can't part with, so think he'll be wethered and stay here. I'd be heart broken if he got eaten. But there is another buckling out there and I've got "Jenny's Sausage" written on that spaz's little body!

19. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I want to improve my Reg. LaMancha line for home milking purposes only ( I have shown several other breeds and am no longer interested in that. I am mainly interested in good, well attached udders and hardiness and vigor. I have a Reg. Boer and a 50% doe and want to develope a nice meat herd for meat and sale. I want these Boers to be as vigorous as possible too, culling those that are problems, and developing a hardy line. I may incorporate cull LaManchas from my dairy line into my meat herd ti improve milk production in the Boer herd. I also like the idea of goats as organic weed control for coastal pastures rather than chemicals as we raise cattle and equines also. The fencing is expensive as we have a quite a bit of acerage, but it would pay off in the long term. I have seen it done.