Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where we live, we do not have any close discount grocery stores, such as Aldi, Save A Lot, Food 4 Less, and, so far the best price I have found for frozen turkeys are 49 cents a pound, if you buy $30 worth of groceries from Giant Eagle.

The next best price is 57 cents a pound from Bi-Lo with no minimun purchase.

What are the prices in your area stores?

Marsha

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Wow. I'm a vegetarian and I've never bought a turkey until this Thanksgiving. My whole family is veggie but my in laws and my brother's in laws are all coming to town and they do eat meat, so I offered to buy a bird for someone to cook.

Soo...I ordered up a local, free range organic turkey that will arrive fresh on my doorstep...for $5.99 a pound. I feel like I've been had...

·
Learning everyday
1,960 Posts
I'm still waiting on the turkeys to go on sale here. I did order a SHARE program package with a turkey in it. I'm hoping for 39 to 49 cents.

·
Premium Member
27,945 Posts
madness, I considered buying some turkey poults just so we could have the luxury of tasting REAL turkey without injected salt water and growth hormones. Dh overruled me. How big is your $5.99/pound turkey? And what time will you be putting it on the table? And I'll leave you my brine/hormore turkey as a thank you for the wonderful meal.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
You have not been had for $5.99, did you order it from a small family farm? It takes a lot of work and food to get them to butcher age plus of course the butcher work. It is a good splurge for a once a year dinner.

I am someone that doesn't buy the convential birds (I usually buy Shelton's free range birds for around $1.69 a pound) but our best deal here is free, if you buy $100 worth of groceries (Fred Meyer) and I think .29 a pound if you spend $50. If you wanted to stock up I'd have to check around for the best deal but I believe they are going for .69 a pound or so.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
so far I've seen regular prices at 69cents, and the "buy $25 get a turkey for $.39/lb" at the "roundy's" (local chain)

We raised turkeys this year, and boy oh boy...they are REALLY good eating. The breast meat is just dripping with moisture, even two days after cooking. and the dark meat is..holy cow...it's close in texture to beef. Around here (Madison wisconsin area) $5.99 would be a decent price for organic freerange delivered. Make sure whoever is cooking the turkey knows it's a freerange bird and not storebought....the ones in the stores are injected with juices/water...and it makes them a little different to cook. Your bird will be slightly denser in texture, and will likely take a little longer to cook fully.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
$.29 a pound at Carnival Foods with a $10 additional purchase.

·
Registered
241 Posts
my grandson raised some and everyone I make is tough. My daughter says hers are real good. I bought a new meat thermometer today and will see if this breast that I will be making is any better.Any hints for me?????

Ours are usually .89 a pound around the holidays with a $25 purchase.

so far I've seen regular prices at 69cents, and the "buy $25 get a turkey for $.39/lb" at the "roundy's" (local chain)

We raised turkeys this year, and boy oh boy...they are REALLY good eating. The breast meat is just dripping with moisture, even two days after cooking. and the dark meat is..holy cow...it's close in texture to beef. Around here (Madison wisconsin area) $5.99 would be a decent price for organic freerange delivered. Make sure whoever is cooking the turkey knows it's a freerange bird and not storebought....the ones in the stores are injected with juices/water...and it makes them a little different to cook. Your bird will be slightly denser in texture, and will likely take a little longer to cook fully.

·
Enjoying Four Seasons
3,107 Posts
We finally raised our own heritage turkeys this year after purchasing from small farms locally for a few years. The $4.89/lb we paid in years past seems like so much less than what it cost us to raise our own ~ but ours are better! :lookout:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Sale prices are between $1.29 and $0.99 a pound. Its almost cheaper to buy a ham. We are swamped at work so I'll probably end up working the day and putting in a roaster chicken when I get home.

·
Loving My Life...
1,626 Posts
Just got the local Weis Markets ad today.... 39 cents / pound with a $25 purchase.... I usually try to get a couple this time of year....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts