What are You Working On?

Discussion in 'Sewing & Quilting' started by Gretchen Ann, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Gretchen Ann

Gretchen Ann Well-Known Member

The straight line quilting and the spiral quilting were done with my Elna Excellence 720. The wavy line quilting was quilted on a Baby lock Melody. I'm able to make the curve longer on the Baby lock. I can't do that with the Elna.

MoBookworm1957 likes this.
  2. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

Started a string quilt to use up some of my sewing and quilting remnants. Doing 6" square blocks so its going to take quite a lot to make the quilt. I think I've finished around 30 squares so far and haven't make much of a dent in the remnants.

3. MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Well-Known Member

You out to join in quilt block swaps on HT. We would love to have you.

COSunflower likes this.
  4. housewife

housewife Well-Known Member

Everything looks wonderful. I've been trying to rearrange my sewing room had to take it apart to get the stuff stored in the corner. Good excuse to go through a few things.

I have made a few hats for a friend going through cancer. She got the all clear and is getting hair again. I have also been making critter towels. I have finished 7 ducks and am now making a dinosaur for my grandson. The dinosaur has spikes up the back more fiddlily than I wanted but his father had the same one as a kid so it will amuse both.

This group of ducks was for a friend who had a 2 year old girl and twin girls on the way. All the eyes are different so that they can be told apart... no sure if that was a good idea or not.
    IMG_1098.JPG

COSunflower and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  5. MoBookworm1957

Making Christmas.
    Grand daughter Estelle getting outfit from Granny J.
    And a couple of blankets.
    Her big sister is getting her first quilt. Beach Babies
    Haven't quite figured out how she's a surfer girl in Missouri.
    Daughter in law is getting a pink,lavender,purple shawl that I am crocheting.
    Both sons are getting Scrappy Quilts Queen size.
    Everybody else in family is getting table runner, mug rugs maybe place mats or combination of the three.

COSunflower likes this.
  6. danil54grl

danil54grl Well-Known Member

I have only made one baby quilt in my life and that was for my granddaughter. . . now since she has graduated to a big girl bed, her momma asked if I would make another. So since Joann's had $3 off all their quilting fabric and I had some gift cards from Christmas and my birthday I went shopping today. It honestly takes me forever to pick out fabrics. When I first got twenty to start lick ng there was a couple ladies coming thru grabbing what they liked. . . 2 hours later, they came back into the section saying your still here! . ..uugg yeah lol :) They seemed impressed on what I chose so just crossing my fingers. I will not actually start this until after fall garden is put in, but hunny has a doctor visit next week that will be over four hours cause we need to stick around for lab results and will be working on a blanket that I started crocheting but needed more yarn, which was the reason I needed to go to Joann's. Got to get priorities done first then can do fun stuff. Although first quilt drove me crazy till I got the hang of things. Exact measurements are my friend now!! Best tools ever got was that thing with lines and a quilting wheel.

7. MoBookworm1957

Been there and still there done that.
    Making library wall hanging to be donated to the local library.
    Using the selvage end where all the writing, circles, squares are.
    Making those into bookbinding of the books on the shelves.
    This wall hanging will hang in library for 90 days.
    their's to keep.

8. MoBookworm1957

Quilt blocks for Red,White,Blue, and What Summer Means to Me Blocks for Summer Swap on here at Homesteading Today.
    Making Christmas presents, 2 queen size quilts for sons, baby quilts for grand daughter Wild Animals peeking out tree,monkey,sloths,fox underneath also a prickly hedgehog, catapillar on leaf.
    Beach Babes for for grand daughters big sister.
    3 crocheted shawls-one for oldest son's baby mom in teals, second for daughter in law in pinks, purples,third in oranges,blues for the oldest grand daughter(grand daughters big sister,).

9. Ann-NWIowa

I cut out a walker bag from Simplicity 2822 view B and a blouse (repurposed fabric) from Simplicity 8061 view C. This walker bag has 3 pattern pieces. It calls for a lining, but I'm using quilted fabric so don't believe I'll line it. I want to finish the rest of the string quilt squares before I switch back to sewing clothing.

When I was going through boxes of fabric I bought at an auction a couple years ago looking for sashing fabric for the string quilt, I found several pieces that are for clothing. So I have a lovely blue chambray for Simplicity 8384 and fabrics for McCall's M6927 and another Simplicity 8061. Also found a knit for McCall's M6964 in my regular stash. Everything is stacked on a corner of the dining room table waiting for the table to be cleared so I can start cutting. I have a leak under the kitchen sink so everything from under the sink is piled on the table along with the new faucet awaiting installation. I also found two pieces of rayon that would be perfect for dresses, but I seldom wear dresses. I kept the fabric out and am going to give some thought to how I can use it.

I have an 18 x 24 cutting matt, but am thinking of buying a larger matt from Hobby Lobby. The matt I have is fine for most purposes, but for cutting out clothing the larger matt would be nice. I could get it half price this week so around $15. The only thing stopping me is where/how to store it. Any ideas? I already have the space under my beds full of storage boxes.

10. MoBookworm1957

I hang mine on the wall, hung with a push pin.

Ann-NWIowa likes this.
  11. Jlynnp

Jlynnp Well-Known Member

I like that walker bag pattern, I have the other one and it is to complicated. I will be using a walker for a few months after back surgery and can sure use it.

Ann-NWIowa and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  12. Ann-NWIowa

Last week I found the perfect fabric for McCall's M7237 on sale for $2 per yard. I got it cut out today. I think I will cut out the rest of the projects (mentioned in 8/6 post above) before I start sewing anything. Get the it all cutout and off the dining room table so I can actually use it for dining again!