Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a 40-year-old man in not so great health. I probably will not make it to 60. At age 35, I had surgery to remove precancerous lesions from my colon. I have had spinal stenosis since I was young. At age 40, earlier this year, it was discovered that I have had a pituitary tumor since at least my late 20's. I'm currently under going treatment. I have other health issues. Those are just the major ones.

I refuse to take on any debt that I can not pay off within a year. I don't want to add to the burden on my kids. I would like solitude and be away from populous areas. I don't mind being around people. I just can not take crowds. I like nature and the quietness that can't be found in the city or urban jungles.

I have proposed this idea to several people that own acreage. The older guys refuse as they don't feel they would benefit from this arrangement due to our age differences. Younger guys consider it, but always want to think it over, and I get that.

The proposal. I would like to use a small plot of land with a driveway, or on a property access road. I'm talking quarter acre or less. I'll build a small cottage or cabin with two bedrooms, one bath, and a combined kitchen living area and a small 20x20 shed for working on my truck when I need to. In exchange, I'll leave the cabin to the property owner when I leave. I'm talking completely furnished and ready to move in. I'll hand over the keys and walk away. I'm sure I will have to leave due to health reasons. I would be prepared to make a legal contract and even leave the cabin to the property owner in my will in the event that something should happen to me. However, I think a contract would cover that. I know this isn't a great short-term deal, but it could be a good long-term deal for the right person.

What are your thoughts on this? What could be done to make this deal better? I have considered land leases in the high mountains of KY near my kids grandparents. One I looked at was $75 a year for a half acre. Problem is, the company would get the cottage/cabin. They will not take care of it, even if they rent it out. I would rather know the place would go to a person that would take care of it, even if they rented it out after I'm gone.

·
Realist
2,738 Posts
You will likely get a lot of resistance. However, I understand your situation, especially as I've been closely associated with someone having a benign pituitary adenoma.

How would any prospective "neighbor" go about determining if you're someone they'd want living on their property or near them is probably the biggest drawback. Otherwise, your offer sounds like a boon to the property owner.

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
If you are leasing the land from someone - you only need a lease with the provision that you can build on it. BUT leases and contracts can be broken.
You also have to consider how you are going to get water and electricity to your house. Will it be on your own septic or are you going to build close enough to tie into the owner's septic - Doubt you'd get a permit to do that...

Go look at park model trailers. They are not travel trailers as they are upgraded to be stationary in a park. They are not yesterday's trailer trash. That would be a better option. Buy yourself an acre or 1/2 of one. Put in the utilities and you don't have to live on any other person's land and be subject to their whims - or have it sold out from under you if their lifestyle goes south.

Dreams are great, when reality sets in - not so much.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
Unless your kids sign a loan with/for you, I don't think they would be responsible for you debts. You might be better off just renting a place since you wouldn't have to deal with septic and well. Having someone live on our property without either would be a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I don't know how many people would grant that kind permission, as with permission come responsibility.
Good luck.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts