What are you paying for dairy calves.

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by unioncreek, Nov 3, 2005.

1. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

I am looking at buying a couple of dairy calves in the spring to keep my daughter busy during the summer. I'm currently taking an AI and preg testing class at Washington State Univ. and they run 250 cows. They have a list you get on if you want calves and the price is $100. They get colostrum and are treated very good, at least I know where they come from. Is this a reasonable price or should I look elsewhere. If I did get them there it would save me money on not having to drive far to get them.

Bobg

2. MissKitty

MissKitty Mrs. no longer OldGrouch.

We paid $200 for a registable Jersey heifer that was 3 days old...
    But we paid $50 for alittle Jersey bull that we steered...So $100 seems reasonable since you know that you are getting a healthy calf...MissKitty

3. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

There was a post like this a few days ago. It seemed like most of the answers were about $100.00 for day old claves (who haven't necessarily gotten colostrum), about $400.00 for young non registered heifers and significantly more for registered dairy heifers.

4. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Union Creek, I am paying 100.00 for Holstein bull calves here in central Tenn. The farmer I buy them from will hold the calves intentionally for 3-5 days just to ensure that they receive daily feedings of colostrum. You should work out the same agreement with the college. Also the best advice is to always purchase your animals from the same source to prevent sicknesses and historically nine out of ten calves I buy never gets sick. If they do I immediately take them off milk replacer and switch to any other remedy that does not contain a milk product for at least 48hours (4 feedings) and all is well. Lastly recommend buying two calves at a time for companionship and competitiveness. Any other questions just PM me....John

5. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Since your taking an AI class, and a preg check class why not go a few inches further and go after registered stock. With the breeding you could breed this particular calf, and have a few good registered stock. You could sell the cow, get the calf if it is a heifer (no milk) etc. However for 100.00, that is a good deal. At the auction house here, they go for 4-7.00lb for 100lb calves! With the idea of a registered holstein or jersey, you could do as I said above.

Jeff