Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're having two Thanksgiving dinners this year.
Last night was steak and shrimp.
Tonight will be Cosco chicken wings and pumpkin pie 馃槀馃槀
We didn't do a turkey because they were like $45 at Cosco! And we didn't want a ham because we eat them all the time (we raise hundreds of pigs so we never run out of pork) So we went with steak instead because we literally never eat beef. It sucks.
And tonight we had to do a pie because, what's Thanksgiving with a pumpkin pie, right? 馃槀

Premium Member
Happy Thanksgiving Abby!

Our family celebrated on Saturday this year and we did have ham,done on the bbq rotisserie and smoked for awhile too. Baked beans, roast squash and more sides, including salad, home made rolls too. And yes, there was pumpkin pie - that鈥檚 practically the LAW in our family. There was apple pie too and butter tarts.

Turkey prices are pretty high this year, $2.79/lb where I live, on sale. Hams,bone in, are about the same. We鈥檒l have turkey at Christmas instead.

Steak and shrimp sounds like a pretty fine meal to me too!!!! So do wings for that matter, I love chicken wings. Enjoy your Dinner!

Premium Member
Was thinking you jumped the gun. Then noticed the flag by your name.

Premium Member
Might be having Thanksgiving Dinner at a restaurant near Mayo Clinic this year! Scheduled for proton beam therapy for either two days (MW) or three days (MWF) that week. If the latter, we will be staying near Mayo (MN). Probably have our son from the twin cities join us.

Otherwise, I would imagine it will be turkey at home as usual. Or do a Saturday or Sunday celebration.

Registered
Happy Thanks Giving Canada..
In our part of the bush, with family schedules over the long weekend we will not do the traditional bird meal this year.. I did make a ham mid last week to lunch on.. Yesterday I made a bacon, bear, root vegetable stew for all as they come and go.. We may do an indoor BBQ picnic kind of meal once schedules get back to more normal..

Registered
Happy Thanksgiving no matter what you are having! For the past few years we have not cooked dinner - just bought a bar-b-que chicken and salads and pumpkin or apple pie. Forty years of cooking celebratory meals wore very thin as that was all we seemed to do on those days. But this year my husband has volunteered to do the whole thing. He has been cooking a lot over the last year and really likes it. Chicken (no one really likes turkey), stuffing, baked yams, Brussel sprouts, mashed potatoes, cranberry relish, grapes and pumpkin pie.

Registered
Acta non verba
Eat well and enjoy family. Last year I don't think we did anything for Thanksgiving and I'm not sure what we'll be up to this year. My mom and grandma used to have Chinese food in Canada for US Thanksgiving but the Canton closed.

Registered
Poke and grits. You poke your feet under the table, and grit your teeth.

Registered
Haven't even thought about Thanksgiving yet. Though this morning we found one of turkeys in the pen with a bloody broken leg. So, DH skinned it and put it in the fridge. It is probably about 15lbs. I am thinking about just boning it out and canning the stupid bird.

Registered
Kent Rollins did a video on lasagna last Christmas. We might try that with some garlic bread, a salad, and pumpkin roll.

Registered
We had a roasted goose with herbed bread stuffing, a bunch of roasted veggies and mashed potatoes smothered in gravy, and rhubarb & strawberry pie with whipped cream for dessert. Yummy! :giggle:

And all of that had a finishing touch to it later in the evening with a display of northern lights that were visible across most of western Canada. See some pictures taken from different places:

Premium Member
We had a roasted goose with herbed bread stuffing, a bunch of roasted veggies and mashed potatoes smothered in gravy, and rhubarb & strawberry pie with whipped cream for dessert. Yummy! :giggle:

And all of that had a finishing touch to it later in the evening with a display of northern lights that were visible across most of western Canada. See some pictures taken from different places:

Wow, you were lucky to get such a display of the northern lights. What a great Thanksgiving gift! I'm in Southern Ontario, in a city, so I don't see them at all BUT I have had the pleasure when I travelled north a bit. None that I saw had the amount of colour you saw, mostly they were white with a slight crackle at times.

Registered
Might be having Thanksgiving Dinner at a restaurant near Mayo Clinic this year! Scheduled for proton beam therapy for either two days (MW) or three days (MWF) that week. If the latter, we will be staying near Mayo (MN). Probably have our son from the twin cities join us.

Otherwise, I would imagine it will be turkey at home as usual. Or do a Saturday or Sunday celebration.
Our neighbors are empty nesters with one daughter 1,000 miles away who doesn't visit. They have been doing Cracker Barrel Thanksgiving Takeout for years. You just call it in say the week before and go pick it up. It comes with about everything you want including all the fixins and sides.
I have had some and it was all delicious without the cooking, mess and dishes afterwards.

Premium Member
When it's time on the American side, I'm doing duck. My granddaughter loves duck, so that's what it is this year. I'll roast it here and hopefully the meat thermometer will register okay at the proper time--and I can take it over to their house, letting it "rest" while I travel. By the time I get back home, all the duck smoke should be cleared out. Hopefully, the next day will be mild and windy so I can clean the oven.....

Most people haven't the foggiest idea of how to roast a turkey, so usually it ends up dry and rubbery. Wrapping it in plastic and throwing it in an electric roaster is NOT the way. That way makes you hope there's plenty of gravy. I liike the Julia Child way: in an open oven roaster and injected in several places with pork fat strips (not lard)...or like my niece the chef....two pounds of butter. Along with a generous serving of my Dad's oyster dressing....hog heaven.

Bon Appetit! :)

geo

Registered
When it's time on the American side, I'm doing duck. My granddaughter loves duck, so that's what it is this year. I'll roast it here and hopefully the meat thermometer will register okay at the proper time--and I can take it over to their house, letting it "rest" while I travel. By the time I get back home, all the duck smoke should be cleared out. Hopefully, the next day will be mild and windy so I can clean the oven.....

Most people haven't the foggiest idea of how to roast a turkey, so usually it ends up dry and rubbery. Wrapping it in plastic and throwing it in an electric roaster is NOT the way. That way makes you hope there's plenty of gravy. I liike the Julia Child way: in an open oven roaster and injected in several places with pork fat strips (not lard)...or like my niece the chef....two pounds of butter. Along with a generous serving of my Dad's oyster dressing....hog heaven.

Bon Appetit! :)

geo
Love roast Duck and Duck eggs. Elk in Crokk-pot, Lunch and Soup tonight.

Registered
Paumon....
Your lucky to see the lights... Evidently we are far enough out of Fort St. John that we were overcast and couldn't see...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts