1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the season. Around here the last week august into
first of September the interest in hunting and winter worries
begin. Thus, we get triggered into harvesting game or
pulling our garden or farm produce for storage.

What time I try and sneak away , I like to forage In my
back woods for edibles like berries and mushrooms .
Didn't get much blueberries , but am picking hi bush cranberries.
Sept one starts some game hunting for geese and bear.
Don't know if that will be my target, but maybe. Perhaps a
nuisance will get caught up in my rifle sights and end up
in freezer camp with a couple young Canada geese and a
few snowshoe hares and grouse .
My domestic stock for harvesting are fat ducks, some
surplus roosters hatched an on going eggs to store .
That's early season and it hopefully gets better into
October game and woodland goodies to make jerky and
Dehydrated bolete mushrooms for that 'un growing'
long winter season .

What's up on your harvesting agenda?

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
We have a lot left, apples, peaches, pears, raspberries, apples, apples, apples for juice. Once the rains come we will have mushrooms. Fall run fish. Deer. Most of the garden preserving is done but we use hoops to extend the seasons so will have fresh most of the winter. Also move a tomato plant or 2, green pepper plants and the strawberry plants into the greenhouse....James

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Squash are slooowly coming on. Purple tomatoes are coming along nicely, clues are growing AND I have corn maybe a week away. Woo hop thankfully I threw some seed in the greenhouse and they are growing nicely. I'm very excited about that. Just finished raspberries, grapes are coloring up and looks like a nice crop. Come on juice.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I got okra everywhere! I have to do something with all this okra! I got some out there the size of bananas! Well, maybe not QUITE that big, but BIG! I'd like to dry and powderize some of those big ones. Maybe make some okra chips. ? Gonna get some corn and potatoes to fry up with some of the smaller ones this weekend. (proper, in bacon grease of course) Might do some fried green tomatoes while I'm at it.

B

·
0 Posts
Still harvesting cukes, peppers..lots of yummy tomatoes..waiting for the sweet potatoes to be ready ...so far this season, I've canned tomatoes, orange marmalade, and garlic pickles...this week will be peaches..on the list of things to can yet..green beans..beets..yukon potatoes...and whatever John brings home...rabbit, squirrel.......we have catfish in the freezer and hoping to add a duck or two as well as deer, and turkey....oh..and as soon as better apples can be found, I'd like to finish the year with canning applesauce..yum!

·
Indomitable
4,798 Posts
I am overwhelmed this time of year

Blueberries
Raspberries
Musk melons
Canning tomatoes
Canning Lima beans
drying cow peas
freezing collard greens
hardening off potatos and shallots
canning peaches

What a lucky person I am!

Wow Vickie! What a difference 40 miles make. My garden was crap this year and what did grow good, the rodents got.

Leaves turning up your way yet?

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
taters so far and getting tomatoes trickling in.tomatoes are about over except for the indeterminacy yellow ones i hope at least keep me in a daily tomato till frost hits.seen one of "my" pear trees a couple days ago along right of way i hope to hit up in a few weeks time for at least a basket of pears.deer starts first week in oct.

taters dig this morning

·
Registered
637 Posts
Nice taters, Elkhound!! I just picked stuff for Rancher to take to his mom: beets, carrots, onions, peppers, cabbage, zukes, maters, cukes, pumpkins, a very few winter squash (most are rotting due to too much water), eggplant, broccoli. The melons won't be ripe for another week or so.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I wasn't going to have a garden this year but sometime in July I thought I would plant a few things to see how they would do. Green beans, cucumbers, great northern beans and pinto beans.

Finally I can post in this thread!!

I harvested a couple of cucumber. Green beans will be ready in a few days. Nothing on the great northern or Pinto's yet.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts