What are you getting your spouse for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Snuffy Smith, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Snuffy Smith

Snuffy Smith Well-Known Member

It's always hard for me to decide. My wife's birthday is also right after Christmas, so I get hammered twice. :rolleyes: I usually just stroll around the stores looking for at least 1 thing thats fun (besides all the clothes and whatnot that she'll get) like electronics, or cooking gadgets. I don't mind spending the money on my wife each year. The dilemma of choosing what to get, and having to deal with the crowded shopping places, is what I don't like.

2. beorning

beorning Well-Known Member

This year, she got a new laptop computer. I got a new cordless drill. We don't focus on buying each other stuff for christmas or birthdays too much. We usually pick out out presents ourselves and it is most often based on our needs at the time.We don't get too attached to dates the presents get "opened" either. Honestly, christmas and birthdays are generally just used in our house as an excuse to get something we need or want and that we would be a bit uncomfortable just flat out buying for no reason at all.We share all of the money so going out of our way to buy each other extravagant gifts from the pot we both dip into has always seemed a bit of an odd concept.

3. heather

heather Well-Known Member

cooking & kitchen ideas........

I really like my flexible plastic cutting mats -
    They are very durable and easy to use.
    Maybe you could get her a new knife to go with them?

Here's a link to what I'm talking about:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/s..._1&results-process=default?tag2=amd-google-20

Also, if she has a mixer, maybe she would like a new attachment? or a cover?

Does she need a new recipe box? I like my big one - I believe it's 4x6 instead of the standard 3x5. There's more room to write on those bigger cards! and the smaller cards fit in also -

Does she like to bake pies? I received some reusable aluminum pie shields that I LOVE!

Check out http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=670&iMainCat=670&iSubCat=670
    for some VERY NICE kitchen ideas

Oh, hubby & I are getting a digital camera - no surprise, but we need it - our other one went on the fritz

4. AR Cattails

AR Cattails Well-Known Member Supporter

You sound like my dh. lol He never knows what to get me and says I'm just too hard to shop for. I disagree with him because everything he has ever bought me I have truly treasured it. I do agree that I hate the long lines and I think I will be doing alot of my shopping during the night hours at Wal Mart. He also gets hammered twice because our anniversary is 4 days after Christmas. :)

But back to what to get your spouse. He's not getting anything this Christmas because he got his present this summer...a brand new motorcycle so he says "No Christmas presents for me". I say ok but will probably get him a little something anyway so he has something under the tree.

5. Speciallady

Speciallady Well-Known Member

My dh, wants an Art Kit, a hunting rifle, a telescope, and a playstation two. If we have the money, he will get one of these. Just not sure which one yet.

6. moongirl

moongirl Well-Known Member

Dh and I generally don't exchange gifts unless we happen to have a decent amount of "extra" cash. One gift each from the kids and we are happy. We just buy small things all year long.

7. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

We're getting each other new flooring for the first floor. The carpet is leaving - hooray!

We don't generally buy gifts for each other. We just do a home project or get away for a weekend.

8. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

I found a thermal blanket - DH's favorite kind - at a thrift store. I'll put a new binding on it, but the blanket itself is in great shape! A fabulous $8 gift. (And I've got plenty of material stockpiled to put a nice binding on it)

Also - we had a garage fire last winter -a hot smoky kind. Didn't lose the garage, but everything nylon or plastic melted. We lost our tents, among other things.

My brother and his wife are getting their family a new tent for Christmas, and he's giving us his old family tent. DH and DD don't know about it - so I'm wrapping that up, and giving Santa the credit!

9. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

We ussually make a list of things we want for the house and pick one joint gift from that.
    This year list so far is " a dish washer, new tv for the bed room, gun safe, meat slicer, a new mattress or a shot gun,

10. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

DSL. That will be something we can both enjoy :D

11. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

An observation bee hive....won't he be surprized? Since his birthday is Dec. 13 we always make a deal out of it as his family kinda forgot about him in the holiday bustle. DEE

12. Anita in NC

Anita in NC Well-Known Member

We don't usually exchange gifts we just buy things that we need or the family needs as we need them. We don't wait for a certain date.

Things we will spend money on in December are:

Going to an indoor water park/hotel in Virginia for an over night stay.

Wiring the workshop.

Maybe buying an exercise bike.

I think that is it.

13. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Already gave him a nice pair of shoes from Cabelas.

14. Dixie

Dixie Well-Known Member Supporter

He wants a heated motorcycle vest. We'll see what Santa brings......

15. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

One of those La-Z-boy massage recliners. But I get to sit in it too. :p

16. Tonya

Tonya Guest

One thing my DH gives me every birthday and Christmas is a hand written love letter. It started back when we were first married and broke. He couldn't give me a spare dime! So he wrote a lovely letter and a tradition started! No matter how rich or poor we are, I get my letter. I value each and every one of them! I told him that when I'm ticked off at him that I can pull a letter out and save him the old "frying pan to the back of the head treatment"! :nerd:

I don't know a single woman who doesn't want her hubby to write down what he fells about her. Oh, and NO PICTURES! :p

17. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

luggage and a coffe maker

18. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter

19. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

his bday is right before. Got him a Sunfish (little sail boat)- little hard to hide for months and no fun to sail in Dec- so he got that early. And got him a musical instrument that same trip- carefully hidden. DD13 actually quizzed me and tried to find out about it when she saw the purchase when I was teaching her about credit card bills! Thankfully DH never reviews them!!

20. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

Dixie - he will love that heated vest. My hubby has one for when he
    motorcycles in the fall. If it's for motorcycling - he'll want heated handlebar
    grips next.

I'm thinking of getting hubby a beer making kit - anyone know of good ones, and he let me know a few cd's he's interested in.