Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year all of my stock is bred. I am planning to boluse and BoSe in the next week. I need to trim feet for the winter. What are you all doing?

I am excited to learn that one of my two bucks is from a very excellent buck called heavenly poor prime rate. He was only used on one of my girls. But his genetics are a huge part of some very successful breedings in the 90s. I have a grandson.

I maybe should have used him a bit more....😳

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
2 weeks pre-breeding I do copper and BoSe. Hoof trims as needed, eval body condition and eye membranes. About 4-6 weeks pre breeding I slightly increase their grain to flush them... Otherwise, nothing major than I can think of. :)

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,437 Posts
At this time of the year, I'm gearing up for annual CAE testing of the entire flock (3 years running - all NEGATIVE!) Most does are bred. Those I'm unsure of will be blood-tested for pregnancy confirmation. Everyone will get their copper bolus and BO-SE at this time, too. Also, I'm deep-cleaning the kidding pens and prepping them for December kidding. Need to assess and restock the kidding kit as well.

Reactions: Pony and togg75

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Waiting. :p The girls are coming up on a week bred, at two weeks I'll trim everybody's hooves and then spend another week hoping all the does are pregnant. Speaking of which, I should sharpen my hoof trimmers. Hopefully in that time the ground will dry out a bit too, I can never believe how much mud those girls get crammed up in their feet!

·
Goshen Farm
7,272 Posts
Geez I cant tell if I am two years behind or right on schedule with my stead and pasture. I am learning as fast as I can but it seems it will take two years for my pasture to have the good stuff to eat. I imagine I could still get two cows and supplement their feed till then. Getting a breeding pair of peafowl tomorrow from Willcox so that should be interesting!

·
Metal melter
7,152 Posts
I have a couple more weeks to wait before I draw blood for pregnancy and CAE testing. I gave BoSe and CD & T a couple of weeks before breeding . The two wethers we raised for meat (first time!) are going to my butcher-friend this afternoon. I trim hooves every three or four weeks, so that is no big chore. Tomorrow, if the weather is decent, I will clean out the barn and start to get it ready for winter. I'll also be bagging up a few garbage bags of fallen leaves within the next few weeks to feed as treats during the winter.

I've thought about selling one of my original milkers because I like to keep numbers down (never want to have more than 4, and I'll have 4 next spring), but we are probably going to raise 2 or 3 pigs next year and I'll be happy for any extra milk I can feed them.

This time of year is also garden clean out time, so I like to feed the goats the corn stalks and any stray ears of corn that didn't make it to our table.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
2 weeks pre-breeding I do copper and BoSe. Hoof trims as needed, eval body condition and eye membranes. About 4-6 weeks pre breeding I slightly increase their grain to flush them... Otherwise, nothing major than I can think of. :)
Pretty much this.

We also pull blood on the early bred girls and send in for pregnancy test and annual CAE testing (all can be done from some vial at Biotracking :) ).

Prime Rate was an excellent buck. How heavily you should use his son all depends on how excellent is the dam of the son. Of course, Prime Rate is AI only these days, so it's not exactly like you get to choose between the Father or the Son :D.

Congrats on incorporating some strong genetics into your Saanen herd!

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Great minds think alike. :D I'll be drawing blood for CAE/Preg in about 30d. I just haven't bred anything until this Wednesday, so haven't gotten that far yet. :p I take blood to where I work for Johnes ELISA so I can avoid the shipping cost (though they're pricier per sample, it evens out), and don't test for CL anymore except on incoming stock that I rarely have.

Reactions: nehimama

·
Premium Member
10,412 Posts
I'm giving Bo-Se and trimming hooves; have also increased the alfalfa & beet pulp that I feed the 2 does I kept. Also, since Alginon is up in years and has a little trouble walking now, I give him some Super-flux to help him.

Preparing the goats for winter is one thing; however, the largest chore is preparing the barn for winter weather. Today I put up half of an old rubber pad (goes under carpet) that I've used for years. I hung it from the roofing plate of the shed at the back of my barn. Later this fall I'll hang the other half over the metal gate. Together they let air circulate while keeping winds from going thru the barn. Also, next month some time I will be closing the two shutters on the western side of that large barn. By closing these 3 areas in such ways, air circulates well without wind blowing thru.

Next comes the bedding. Since the goats did not put as much hay on the barn floor as they have done in past years, I will be purchasing some bales of wheat (Japanese millet if I could find any) so I will have it handy should the winter months turn bad.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Gave BoSe and copper a month ago, hooves are trimmed, everyone gets their Replamin+ once a week.

Little behind on taking care of the breeding, due to life happening in the midst of my other plans. Had to change my plans for this year (breeding Trub to Emily's Royal, Nomo to Glory Road's Saanen buck, and Nev to Dutch Farm's Elijah).

That said, I have a very nice buck running with them right now, and he's been hard at work. I'll be pulling blood in a month for preg check and CAE. Like Loretta, we've had negative CAE for the past 4 years, and hope to keep that record going.

Have to pick up straw for the sheds, and found out that one of our hay pallets got soaked through, so we'll be calling around to acquire more alfalfa hay. Hoping the local fella has some of his GMO-free alfalfa/clover left, and that he's not charging too much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2.5 yo Alpine goat currently in milk who I recently noticed is missing her front to central teeth. she is otherwise in good health, except for a mild parrot mouth. I have attached a picture to show the small nubs of teeth coming through where the adult should be. I know these teeth should have been replaced at 12 months old by adult teeth, what could this be? broken teeth, nutritional deficiency or incomplete adult teeth? She eats very slow even with molasses soften Grain. What should be done.

ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1413863680.013651.jpg

ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1413863703.916025.jpg

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
No answers, but I'm impressed she let you pry open her mouth like that. Mine won't even let me look. XD

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I have a 2.5 yo Alpine goat currently in milk who I recently noticed is missing her front to central teeth. she is otherwise in good health, except for a mild parrot mouth. I have attached a picture to show the small nubs of teeth coming through where the adult should be. I know these teeth should have been replaced at 12 months old by adult teeth, what could this be? broken teeth, nutritional deficiency or incomplete adult teeth? She eats very slow even with molasses soften Grain. What should be done.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Tetracyclines are the ones that come to my mind regarding teeth. They usually cause brown staining and weakness in the stained areas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts