What Are You Doing For Fencing?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by forest_girl55, Jun 25, 2004.

1. forest_girl55

forest_girl55 Member

Ok fellow gardeners--we have about 1/2 acre to fence--we want to keep mainly deer out--the occasional elk and definately bears. We are OK with electrifying the fence around the bee hives and orchard portion in the fall or as needed--I would be VERY interested to hear how all of you have dealt with the issue of fencing and what has worked the best.
    Our place is in the Kootenays in central BC, Canada. We are relatively remote, and back on crown land. We do have a dog which is great when we are up and around and she is out but we would like to build a good fence once.
    We have no problem with spending the $$ neccessary to make it right.
    forestgirl

2. rwjedi

rwjedi Member

Well I'm no expert on fencing in Canada, but I can tell you what I have done down here in Missouri. I'm fencing in 5 acres with 2" X 4" Welded wire fencing. It comes in 50' and 100' rolls. Down here they are 70$ for a 100' roll. I put a 7" or 8" round wood post every hundred feet and a steel T post every 10 feet in between. I use 4 foot tall fencing and 6.5 foot T posts which when sunk 2 foot in the ground still leaves 6 inches at the top for barb wire or an electric wire.

3. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I don't know about your area,but I also was in need of a lot of fencing last year...more than I could afford. My only advice is to ask around. I was surprised at how much free fencing supplies was given to me by people.
    Maybe it was just luck for me but I recieved more than enough by asking around. It seemed that so many people had old rolls of wire fencing just laying around rusting. Who knows why,terrible thing to waste.

Good luck :)

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I've had deer jump an 8 ft fence in colorado. They stopped going over it when the bean vines grew up enough that they couldn't see thru the wire.

5. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I live in the northeast. and we have Deer. as well, as everything else. I haven't seen a fence that will keep deer out. We have had no luck with deer and fences.
    And we have tried just about every kind of fence you could think of , except a 6 or 8 ft. high solid board fence. But I find urine and human hair, and a spray that I make really works great. the spray has dish soap , garlic juice, and hot pepper juice , a couple of eggs, and a cup of raw milk. I let this sit for about three days, then put in sprayer, and add water to make two gallons. then spray, it works pretty good. so far , any way. But I am not sure it will work for bears. just not sure at all.
    maybe some one else, has a good idea for that. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

6. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

We were lucky in finding some chain link fencing at a reasonable price for our veg. garden. We have lots of deer here but they are small and so our fence is only 6ft high. Larger deer fencing would probably need to be 8ft. We have bushes on the outside of it and they have never tried to go over it. I don't think they like to jump over where they can't see the other side. Our veg garden, orchard, chickens, bees and rabbits are all inside this fence. It keeps the animals away from coyotes and so far we haven't had any bear in there. Probably wouldn't do much good keeping a cougar out though.

7. forest_girl55

forest_girl55 Member

I've also heard that deer will not jump a fence that they cannot see through--our place is quite steep and so some areas of the garden are naturally protected by the slopes--what about electric fencing--have any of you tried this method in conjuntion with the barrier fencing?
    forestgirl

8. debitaber

not so, you can't see through our fence, as it is covered with raspberries, and dew berries.they go over it any way. and into the garden they go.Electric fencing is around our pasture, you just don't know how many times a year that it gets knocked down by deer. Electric fencing is not the answer here in michigan,for deer. I could put up a farm fence, then run chicken fencing over that, then put up barbed wire ,on top, and lean the barbed wire inwards, that is what my neighbor did. But he has a very small, kitchen garden, not a big one like ours.

9. Ray_Scheel

Ray_Scheel Well-Known Member

4' welded wire with electric strands at 5' and 7' work for me around my garden and home orchadr. THe tall posts are ever 40' or so, the wekded wire does require more frequent T posts.

Occasionally I'll put some peanut butter on a strip of foil and hang form the fence where trails come up to it to retrain the deer that they don't want ot come anywhere near my fence.

10. debitaber

what does the peanut butter do?
    thank you.

11. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Entices the deer to touch their noses to the foil. They get zapped and have more respect for the fence henceforth.

12. debitaber

that is a great idea. thanks!!!!!!!!!!!I am on my way out the door with the peanut butter in hand.

13. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Did you hang just one row....and at what height. Please and thank you :D

14. danswife

danswife Well-Known Member

We have a relatively small garden but what we used this year was 5 foot chicken wire along with flash tape.

Last year we used. I think 3 ft. and it didn't do the trick. The deer got in and ate our peas :waa: This year we've been having a fine time watching the deer graze on blackberies and clover. They'll go right up to the fencing, grazing around the border but won't go in.

15. debitaber

well, mother nature gave us a hand this year. she knocked down a big tree, right along the fence line, so we have that plus a fence. and it has worked very well, , so far. she brought the tree down last big storm we had.

16. tara313134

tara313134 Member

Having two rows of fencing helps with a much shorter one along the outside and a taller row on the inside a few feet apart because deer can't jump far and high as easily.

17. Jay1

Jay1 Active Member

Ray…gonna have to try the peanut butter trick, also.

I cut white plastic bags into strips and tied on the fencing. Call them my “flaggin deer tails”. So far, so good, but the deer always manage to figure things out after a while, so always have “plan A” and others ready to implement. LOL

18. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

That's what I want...a chicken run all the way around my garden with a double gate (one opens in to the left and one opens out to the right closing off the chicken run while opening access to the garden when I need it.). I saw a similar set up in Organic Gardening a few years ago...keeps the deer out and the bug population down.

Unfortunately, my city-fied husband wants a white picket fence around the garden...totally impractical. I'm going to let him put up his white picket fence and after a year of no veggies I bet I'll get my chicken run/garden fence. :p