what are these peas called

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by kentuckyhippie, Apr 7, 2005.

1. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

several years ago an older lady gave me some field peas to grow in my garden. she didn't know the name of them I grow them every year and would like to know what they are called. the plant looks just like a crowder pea plant but the peas are either solid black or black with a cream colored splotch on the side. sometimes there will be splotched and solid ones both in the same pod. anyone know what they are?

2. Topaz Farm

Topaz Farm Well-Known Member

I don't have a clue. Maybe if you looked in some heritage seed catalogs you might find it.

3. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Cow Pea, maybe?

4. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

I am trying to find out what kind of pea this is. I will let you know when I find out. Would you be interested in trading or selling me some of the pea seed. If so then please let me know. Thanks, Rosemary

5. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

I think I found them. Could they be holstein cowpeas. Go to www.rare seeds.com and do a search. They have a picture of a black and white pea like you described. Hope this helps. I am still interested in some of the seed.

6. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

I think that might be them. I can send you a few. I didn't get many saved from last year but I'll be glad to share with you. maybe you can grow a few hills for seed next year. just send me your address. sorry I don't have a lot left.