what are these little palm trees?

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by Columbia,SC., Apr 9, 2006.

1. Columbia,SC.

Columbia,SC. Thats MR. Redneck to you

I have these babies all over my woods. It seems like they got a white flower on them lastyear.
    Any ideas, good, bad, harmfull, or tastey?
    Thanks, Columbia,SC.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

Some shoots with two leaves and some single leaves of

Podophyllum peltatum

Mayapple

3. Nature_Lover

Nature_Lover Well-Known Member

Great photos!

They're mayapples, and they're poison until the fruit is fully yellow, ripe, jelly-like and mushy, I tried it, and didn't care for it - my kids love them. You can google mayapple recipes mostly jellies and juices. They're compared to melons and strawberries, supposed to be a real tropical-fruit-tasting treat.

Around here the wild critters usually get them before they taste good, anyway.
    I have patches of them scattered in our woods, too.

They grow where the conditions are right for quite a few different medicinal plants, ginseng, goldenseal, etc.
    So grab a book, and go find something useful! lol

In our mid-Missouri woods, they are just coming up, and they are usually spent by the end of July-middle of August.

4. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

lol, i found myself scanning the patch for morel mushrooms. be sure to look for those around these plants.

5. Columbia,SC.

Columbia,SC. Thats MR. Redneck to you

Thanks!
    We have been knocking them down and the kids thought it was great fun to run the dog thru them..... NO MORE!
    I asked my wife what if this stuff is like poison ivy or worse? It was a 'hunch' now I know, THANK YOU ALL!
    Columbia,SC.

6. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

Poison Ivy has three leaves and is a hairy vine.

Poison Sumac is a shrubby tree and has white, pendulous berries.

MayApples (American Mandrake) is mostly harmless... A harbinger of real Spring. Enjoy!

You might contact a local extension office to see if they have a listing of poisonous/irritating plants local to your area...

7. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

oh, i cant wait for our mayapples to come up!! I am leading a tour tomorrow, Easter sunday, at our arboretum--last weekend we had some early viburnum blooming, one or two azaleas, and some stuff I am not familiar with-- thats okay-- most of the tour people just want to see something springy!!! The magnolias are starting to swell real nicely!