Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Im on ssi.but still do retired things.My last full time job required that I be up by 6am.i left that job in 07. But I still get up at 6am.

I have coffee going by 6:20.sitting on the porch with a hot cup of yesterday's coffee by 6:30.i do my primary shopping when I need and want to.pay my bill's on line so I don't have to leave the house.sit on the porch with a neighbor, and talk about the other neighbors.cook n eat what I want and when I want.walk to the local store that's a block away.. except for the bill's.i think I'll do that again tomorrow.lol.

·
Premium Member
22,526 Posts
Nowadays, I don't have to get up way early to do chores, then 1.) dress for the office, 2.) drive to town, and 3.) work as a cog in the medical industrial system.

That's what I don't do.

I do get up only semi-early, but I've always been an early bird. I tend to the animals, but it's a joy because I'm not rushed. Still don't get things done completely, but that's okay, because I finally learned that very few regular chores are ever really done.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Agree on not wear a watch. Have not had one on for 19 years.
Not being tied to a cell phone, pager, or portable police radio, waiting to get called out to a serious fatal accident.
Bring able to do my farming and gardening at my leisure.

This list could get pretty long, fast.
Not wearing a watch for 22 yrs, quit right after I retired from the Rescue Squad.
I sleep and eat anytime I want...almost no schedule.
Living the way I want.

·
Premium Member
22,526 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just retired 2 weeks ago. What I love about it so far: 1. being able to be in my garden and work there as long as I want to 2. I have the time for keeping Angora rabbits and Quail now. 3. I don't have to get up early - sometimes I do cuz I want to and sometimes I sleep in.. I love the quiet dark mornings. 4. I like that I am my own boss - I get to choose.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
1- My bed. It's there when I want it, for as long as I want it, and I never have to worry about leaving it before I'm ready.
2- Spending 24/7 with my favorite person in the whole world. I don't take it for granted. For most of our marriage it seems we were simply passing on our way to doing everything that was required of us. Now, it's just the two of us and I still enjoy his company so much. I take nothing for granted because after 48 years together, one of us has got to pass on in the not so distant future and then it will be no more.
3- lack of stress. I spent a lifetime of high pressure decisions all day long and now I have nothing to stress about. If it makes me happy I do it. If it doesn't, I don't.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts