Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...that those who know you don't or wouldn't understand?

My three are

1. Having no wristwatch tan lines on both wrists anymore because when the guys I worked with gave me my gold pocket watch , I tossed my wrist watches that I wore with local time on one and in plant GMT time on the other in the river on my last drive home from work over the bridge.

2. Only setting my alarm clock 1 to 3 times a month instead of 5 or 6 days a week.

3. Always letting the answering machine screen my calls , returning the ones I want to and sleeping in as late as I want to if the dogs let me.

What are your top three pleasures?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I haven't retired yet (5 more years), but had a nice 10 weeks off earlier this year as practice. I loved waking up when I was done sleeping (usually 7:30 instead of 4:20 now). I also loved working on farm projects in the cool mornings, and taking a long, leisurely lunch. I was able to get some long time wish list items crossed off my list, and built a wonderful 10x16 greenhouse for my wife.

I imagine one thing I will love about retirement is the free time to visit with friends, and go fishing.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Will retire next June. Will be nice to have time to harvest garden items at leisure. Will clean and organize sheds and work spaces. Will have more time to devote to prison ministry. And fishing. And hunting. And traveling. And helping my daughter fix her house. And fix my house. And . . .

Reactions: vickinell

·
Registered
10,605 Posts
Watching the dust accumulate on the top of the alarm clock - never having to wind it or set it anymore. Now if only we could un-wind the cat.

Not having to follow a shopping or laundry schedule based on days off of work - able to do it all when the mood strikes.

Spending all the time we want together.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
45,747 Posts
Although I am now officially retired from teaching, I still manage rent properties and a family trust. HOWEVER, I love deciding that I'm not going to do any bookkeeping for a few days. Almost daily afternoon naps are luxurious. Having time to put in a huge garden and work in the garden every morning is my number three delight.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Not wearing a hard hat, steel toed boots, safety glasses, hearing protection, an O2 sensor, tools and a radio 12 to 15 hours a day. Fishing or hunting any day of the week. I do leave the waters and woods to those who get weekends off. Sitting in the yard with my bride of 43 years, watching the sun come up and nature come to life.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
In the rental business too. Tossed my watch in the trash on the way out of the door in 1988 at 24yrs old. Can't sleep when it's daylight. I don't have three things. Let me try? I only work on the rentals five hours per day, enjoy teaching my nephews the business and I guess the third is messing with the cows...

·
Premium Member
33,729 Posts
1) Spending the day doing nothing. Well, it looks like I did nothing but really I ran myself ragged doing little nagging chores that needed to be done but weren't really essential.

2) Watching nature. It's more fun setting on your deck or porch with your morning coffee or tea while wearing pajamas when you know you don't have to punch a time clock.

3) Watching sunsets/sunrises, clouds floating overhead or stargazing.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
...that those who know you don't or wouldn't understand?

My three are

1. Having no wristwatch tan lines on both wrists anymore because when the guys I worked with gave me my gold pocket watch , I tossed my wrist watches that I wore with local time on one and in plant GMT time on the other in the river on my last drive home from work over the bridge.

2. Only setting my alarm clock 1 to 3 times a month instead of 5 or 6 days a week.

3. Always letting the answering machine screen my calls , returning the ones I want to and sleeping in as late as I want to if the dogs let me.

What are your top three pleasures?
Retired 20 years ago from regular job. Been working on my farm running two businesses since then. As long as i can walk and think straight i will keep working till i pass on. I do take a vacation 30 days each year and go fishing. Started wording when i was 8 or 9 sellng daily paper after school. The daily St. Louis Post page at that time was 3 cents each.

·
Premium Member
7,299 Posts
1- Waking up and not having to go into work- being able to do whatever each morning including going back to bed.

2- How much I'm getting done in the garden (good thing I retired in winter here in AL or I might've moved into an apartment already in summer's heat).

3- not driving for days at a time.

? not best thing but- Worrying about and pitying my former coworkers then knowing I don't have any more responsibilities for the chaos there nor reason for guilt about it.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I am not sure if we are retired or not? We still get up at 5 am; at least I do . Bill gets up at six for breakfast. We still grow our food and preserve it and split and store wood.. The biggest difference is we haven't had any barn animals this winter. We only have five hens. When there were cows or goats to milk and horses to feed it was out to the barn by six and breakfast came after chores.This was an easy winter and we have enjoyed it. My three things I and we are enjoying are; ;
(1) Freedom to do what we want with no pressure to keep a schedule or be anywhere at a certain time

{2) Spending a lot of time with each other in our small home. We worked so hard for so long struggling we never had time just to be together. Covid restricted our movements even more for a year now and we literally have been each others company; rarely seeing anyone else. What we discovered is we REALLY do LIKE each other as well as love each other!

(3) We discovered we will never really retire as long as we can stay healthy. Bill already has this year's garden mapped out and we are deciding if we need a few animals besides chickens. If we do bring home more critters next winter will be different with early morning chores to do. We also continue to be challenged to live frugally and with as little money as possible ( a good thing to know in the event the economy collapses) and can pursue this as we don't owe anything for debts; house or farm. We couldn't do what we wanted when we had debts to pay. So as long as we pay our property taxes we are free of obligations and can pursue what we want. Retired or just getting old life is good despite the pandemic.

·
Registered
169 Posts
1) I like to go to thrift stores, auctions, etc, and now I can go during the week instead of just on the weekends when everyone else is there too!

2) Putting gas in my van to go places that I want to go to, versus going places that I need/have to go to.

3) If I accidently or just can't get to sleep until 1or 2 am, it's ok, coz I don't have to get up at stupid o'clock in the morning!

Ok, I can think of a lot actually! One more....I can hit the lunch specials, and also movie specials now instead of paying full price! Score!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts