Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that the bush beans, bibb lettuce, carrots, and cucumbers that I planted a week or two ago will mature and give me anything good? I'm in SE Michigan, and while we've been in a near drought and it's been quite warm, we've been watering almost daily - trying to get grass to grow from a separate excavation project. I wanted to do a much larger garden and do it the right way (till, fence, 15x20, more than four veggies) but life happened and seemingly smaller projects turned into debacles! This is right on the side of the house, south side with almost full sun. I know the lettuce likes a little cooler temps, but I had to try. :) I hope to hear some encouraging responses!

·
Registered
464 Posts
We just planted another row of green beans this week and they should have plenty of time to produce. This hortweather sure was hard on what we had planted late May. The rain this last couple days sure improved the looks of the garden.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
You might want to shade the lettuce a bit. What I do is to make a pup tent type of cover out of an old bed sheet and then grow lettuce under that. Leave the ends open for some sunlight and also a place to get some lettuce picked.

I would think about mulching the beans and maybe some other late plants as well. I like straw for this.

On the watering, it might not be necessary to water daily. It might be better to water deeply once or twice a week. I just planted bush beans last week and I do expect to eat beans from this batch. :)

·
Premium Member
6,622 Posts
You can still plant quiet a few veggies now - green beans, beets, any of the "greens", carrots, radishes, summer squash. Find out the number of days til the veggiie matures. Many will mature in 60 - 70 days, which is plenty of time. Collards and turnips greens and such like cool weather. I'll be planting until the middle of August.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts